• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Well, this is embarrassing for RIM...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology...store-too-little-too-late-20120501-1xvui.html

Really makes the company look petty and tawdry.

-J

Have to admit, that was very lame. What isnt lame is BB10. It looks fantastic. (fyi, dev phone, not final product)

"it did confirm these alpha units will feature a jaw-dropping 4.2-inch, 1280 x 768 display that bests the 720p panel found on other similarly-sized handsets -"

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEPYYo0-gfc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEPYYo0-gfc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
What is APPLE planning & Samsung Copying?

New title of the thread should be:

What is APPLE planning & Samsung planning to copy?

Some of the things Samsung launched yesterday:
  • S Voice
  • S Cloud
  • Scan and Match
  • Display sharing
  • S Pebble
  • Retail stores

In other news, Apple has had these for awhile:
  • Siri
  • iCloud
  • iTunes Match
  • AirPlay
  • iPod Shuffle
  • Retail stores

i0MzO.png

Tuxmx.png

galaxysiphonejpgscaled5.jpg

iphone4s-iphone4-galaxy-s2.jpg

fssamsung-galaxy-i9100-s-iiapple-iphone-4s-64gbapple-i-pad-2-64gb_2.jpg
121353571.jpg

smart.jpg

Iphone 5

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lzsBwnv_dAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And let's not forget what Android looked like before Eric the Mole found his way onto Apple's BOD...

white-android-prototype.jpg

Looks like they were ripping off RIM before Apple. :tongue:

-Jim

Re: What is APPLE planning & Samsung Copying?

New title of the thread should be:

What is APPLE planning & Samsung planning to copy?

Some of the things Samsung launched yesterday:
  • S Voice
  • S Cloud
  • Scan and Match
  • Display sharing
  • S Pebble
  • Retail stores

In other news, Apple has had these for awhile:
  • Siri
  • iCloud
  • iTunes Match
  • AirPlay
  • iPod Shuffle
  • Retail stores
]

Samsung has clearly copied apple and done a very good job at it. I don't expect that to stop any time soon.

Re: What is APPLE planning & Samsung Copying?

Samsung has clearly copied apple and done a very good job at it. I don't expect that to stop any time soon.

We'll see after the two companies meet in late May in an attempt to settle all of the patent lawsuits.

Mountain Lion

It's at once inspirational and creepy.

I installed Mountain Lion DP3 on Friday -- so far, everything but VirtualBox runs fine, and there's a hack to get around the VirtualBox issue. Haven't really encountered a "must have" feature yet -- the Twitter integration is stupid, the Notifications are "meh", and I don't really like getting system updates through the App Store, but I'll get over it.

It does feel a little faster, however -- I suspect that Mountain Lion will end up getting the reputation as a "fixed" Lion, much in the way that Snow Leopard was a "fixed" Leopard. At this point, if you're running Lion I wouldn't recommend upgrading, but if you're buying a new machine that comes with Mountain Lion, don't sweat it.

Just replaced the SuperDrive in my MacBook Pro with a 120GB SSD from OWC, man this thing is blazing fast now! I was thinking of going with a 30-60GB SSD, but boy am I glad I went with 120. Final Cut Studio alone is like 50GB!! :eek: Still need to install CS5, and all my other apps, but LOVING it so far! :biggrin:

I've basically decided that I will never buy another spindle drive for primary storage. SSDs are "can't go back" technology. I'll still need the multiterabyte spindles for backups, movie collections, etc. but that will reside in an external enclosure.

New MacBooks?

What's people's guesses on the new MacBooks -- supposedly will be announced June 11.

The Pro is supposed to be thinner (but not Air-thin) with a "retina" level display. That'd be cool, but I'll miss the ethernet port. Wireless is cool, but nothing beats the speed and reliability of plugging in.

Re: New MacBooks?

What's people's guesses on the new MacBooks -- supposedly will be announced June 11.

The Pro is supposed to be thinner (but not Air-thin) with a "retina" level display. That'd be cool, but I'll miss the ethernet port. Wireless is cool, but nothing beats the speed and reliability of plugging in.

word. I never use it until now that I upgraded to SSD. I use Time Capsule for my backup, and it would have taken ages to transfer all that stuff wirelessly. I pulled out the old trusty ethernet cable and I'm almost back up to speed. I might also be upgrading to a new bigger MacBook Pro. I'm on a 2010 13" MBP, and now that I'm in film school, I think it's time to get something bigger/faster.

Re: New MacBooks?

I don't understand the point of a retina display on a laptop. Monitor resolution is actual pixels, not upscaled like the iPad.

If I am doing "real work" I want to see actual pixels.

I cant say I have ever looked at my laptop and said the screen looks bad. It's sharp with great color. My desktop is a 30" dell with 2569x1600. Also very sharp.

I get it with the iPad. Don't get it on a real monitor.

Next-Gen MacBook Pro with 2880x1800 pixel "retina" display. That's a lot of pixels. Cost-wise, it's expensive, but not as shockingly expensive as I feared. With a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, you still get a hardwire network connection; that's good enough. New Magsafe power adapter, meaning my bucket of extra power supplies is useless for these beasts.

Meanwhile, the old MacBook Pros keep the same tired displays -- really, 1280x800 is just pathetic these days. It should have at least gone to 1080p (1920x1080); after all, that's pretty much what all my other displays and teevees are.

Really happy about getting 8GB RAM in a MacBook Air -- my users will love that, and I'll be buying a lot of those.

iOS 6 looks like it'll have a "fixed" Siri, and a bunch of other little updates. For those following FB stock, it jumped a little when improved Facebook integration was mentioned. Not being available until Fall is a bit of a tease, but maybe it'll come out with a new iPhone.

I LOL'd when the crowd went wild for turn-by-turn directions -- uh, guys, we've had this on Android since like forever. Apple's new 3D maps look good, at least for San Francisco. I suspect it will be a long time before Pocatello, Idaho or Tucumcari, New Mexico looks as good.

The big Mac Pros also got a quiet update, but they're still way overpriced for a tower system. I'm sure I could configure a Dell similarly for half the price. And wtf? No Thunderbolt? That's just cruel.

Coolest thing about that entire keynote was the connectivity to the car. Tell me how Apple has negotiated with the largest car manufacturing companies, GM, Toyota, Honda etc. to have a button placed in the car that will fully integrate with the iphone voice command, phone book, siri and music!!

Imagine the next step which I am sure they already have in development, bluetooth transmission of your screen to the cars display ... map directions, internet, text, movies ... everything. They effectively just killed the Nav companies. You have turn by turn in the car which you can then take out with you when you park (NY, SF etc.) seamless. You have self-updating maps, no need to buy new DVD's etc. and what every nav is missing COMPLETE business listings etc.

FREAKING RAD

Next-Gen MacBook Pro with 2880x1800 pixel "retina" display. That's a lot of pixels. Cost-wise, it's expensive, but not as shockingly expensive as I feared. With a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, you still get a hardwire network connection; that's good enough. New Magsafe power adapter, meaning my bucket of extra power supplies is useless for these beasts.

Meanwhile, the old MacBook Pros keep the same tired displays -- really, 1280x800 is just pathetic these days. It should have at least gone to 1080p (1920x1080); after all, that's pretty much what all my other displays and teevees are.

Really happy about getting 8GB RAM in a MacBook Air -- my users will love that, and I'll be buying a lot of those.

iOS 6 looks like it'll have a "fixed" Siri, and a bunch of other little updates. For those following FB stock, it jumped a little when improved Facebook integration was mentioned. Not being available until Fall is a bit of a tease, but maybe it'll come out with a new iPhone.

I LOL'd when the crowd went wild for turn-by-turn directions -- uh, guys, we've had this on Android since like forever. Apple's new 3D maps look good, at least for San Francisco. I suspect it will be a long time before Pocatello, Idaho or Tucumcari, New Mexico looks as good.

The big Mac Pros also got a quiet update, but they're still way overpriced for a tower system. I'm sure I could configure a Dell similarly for half the price. And wtf? No Thunderbolt? That's just cruel.

I have to say I am not impressed with anything. The minor improvement in io6 will be nice. The maps isn't really any better that google maps. I didn't see streetview stuff.

The laptop is nice but you better have good eyes to see those tiny pixels. I have a 30" monitor with near that res and the text is tiny.

Back