• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What sports car do you think I should buy next?

Hi folks,

I haven't posted for a long time, but I still read these forums on a daily basis. Last summer I sold my modded (stereo and body mods) 1997 NSX-T. This was my 2nd NSX within a 5 year period. I loved those NSX's and still do love the NSX.

However, I decided I wanted a little variety, so my next car was a AMG SL55. This car was an awesome car. Awesome acceleration with a great exhaust note. It came to me as a surprise to find out that it was not nearly as fun to drive as my NSX's. Sure it was faster, but after the initial rocket like acceleration, the fun was all over. In the NSX, at every speed and in every gear, the car was FUN to drive and was exhilirating. Another thing I missed about the NSX was the way people whipped their heads around to look at it. ( I know some of you don't notice this, and others don't care for it, but I'll admit.....I enjoy it...usually)

Consequently, I sold the SL55. Now I'm on the hunt for another sports car. Sure the obvious thing would be to buy another NSX, but I think I'll wait for the *new* NSX.:wink:

But seriously, I am now trying to decide what car I should purchase next. Here is the criteria I am currently working with. I'm listing them in descending order for more important to less important.

1. cost should be in the $100K ballpark
2. car should be exotic and exclusive to some degree
3. car should be a performance sport car, straight stickshift preferably, but I would tolerate SMG if the car was right
4. car won't be a daily driver and I will probably put about 3000-4000 miles on it per year. I would still like it to be fairly reliable, this will come more into play if I buy a car that is greater than 10 years old.
5. I will most likely only keep this car for 1-2 years, so I would prefer not to lose my shirt when it comes time for selling.

I'm not fixated on a particular brand, model or year at this point. I'm pretty sure what ever I buy, it most likely will be used.

Here are some cars that I am mentally kicking around. Please give me your thoughts on these cars as well as any other cars that you would recommend I consider within my criteria.

1. Shelby Series 1
2. Ferrari 360 Modena (prices haven't dropped low enough yet, I don't think)
3. Lamborghini Diablo VT ( not sure if I really want to get into this mess, but damn!, I love this sexy car!)
4. Maserati Gran Sport ( not really a head turner but a blast to drive and great exhaust note)
5. ?

Thanks a lot to all those who participate in helping me out.

Dan

Either #2 or #3. Diablo would be the answer to all who wanted every sportscar to be (4WD, very low car, scissor doors, V12, awesome exhaust note, big big tire thread and so on). The Modena on the other hand is a very beautiful sportscar and don't forget to mention a wide car. I would love to have a Red Modena and a Yellow Diablo.:biggrin:

I'd wait for the new AUDI R9 Super Car...similar to Gallardo, but better. In other words, its the closest thing to an NSX. V10, everyday car with mid engine setup and aluminum frame.:cool:

Noble M12!

27366434393.jpg

or, take steveny's advice and go for the Gallardo. A Diablo could be pretty hard to live with.

Last edited:
no problemo'...

If you've owned a NSX in the past and moved onto an AMG SL55 and found that palatable... then definitely go for this:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Engine: 4280 cc V8
Transmission: 6-speed, manual
Max speed: 175 mph
0-60 mph: 5.0 seconds
Horsepower: 380 hp @ 7,000 rpm

034bf.jpg

0454ws.jpg

06amv8vntgexfrhead39xg.jpg

0480li.jpg

0462iz.jpg

0475xs.jpg

05vantagedialdet1vy.jpg

Or a 360 Modena. Anything else will be blase` & ubiquitous. Then again, outside the price realm (and not in a way you'd imagine... :wink: ), get a Lotus Elise... wicked fun-in-the-sun for $40k'ish & it looks just as exotic as a $100k+ auto, also backs it up w/ equally impressive performance/handling/reliability.

(though, another NSX till Honda/Acura offer something, isn't a half-bad idea IMHO... go for an '02-'05!)

Get a Noble, either the M12 or M400. If you want an M12, I have a line on one, an M380 (400 HP upgrade), and no, this isn't my wifes. You will get all of the "fun" of the NSX, more performance than anything you have listed (up to a 100 mph at least), exotic head turning styling, and if you want to track the car, real performance. Questions about the car, PM me.

Tim

Re: no problemo'...

Osiris_x11 said:
If you've owned a NSX in the past and moved onto an AMG SL55 and found that palatable... then definitely go for this:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Engine: 4280 cc V8
Transmission: 6-speed, manual
Max speed: 175 mph
0-60 mph: 5.0 seconds
Horsepower: 380 hp @ 7,000 rpm

034bf.jpg

0454ws.jpg

06amv8vntgexfrhead39xg.jpg

0480li.jpg

0462iz.jpg

0475xs.jpg

05vantagedialdet1vy.jpg

Or a 360 Modena. Anything else will be blase` & ubiquitous. Then again, outside the price realm (and not in a way you'd imagine... :wink: ), get a Lotus Elise... wicked fun-in-the-sun for $40k'ish & it looks just as exotic as a $100k+ auto, also backs it up w/ equally impressive performance/handling/reliability.

(though, another NSX till Honda/Acura offer something, isn't a half-bad idea IMHO... go for an '02-'05!)

Hell, Why not just go for the Vanquish then?:biggrin:

Why not a DB9. I LOVE that car and it has much better performance than the AMV8. The AMV8 is not really very fast for the $$$. The NSX is faster to 60.

scorp965 said:

Man that thing is HOT. Everytime I see a Diablo though I think of Allan and him getting a Murci. Once he has the Murci he basically gave up driving he Diablo because the Murci was so much better.

A gallardo would be great, but it is out of your price range and it will still depreciate pretty fast.

NetViper said:
Man that thing is HOT. Everytime I see a Diablo though I think of Allan and him getting a Murci. Once he has the Murci he basically gave up driving he Diablo because the Murci was so much better.

A gallardo would be great, but it is out of your price range and it will still depreciate pretty fast.

It's also the special edition (30th anniversary) Diablo, so it weighs a few hundred pounds less and has a more-powerful motor than a regular 5.7L diablo.

I didn't notice he had a reserve, I wonder what it is? Certainly a Diablo SE would provide more enjoyment than a regular VT, and would also fare better with regards to depreciation, assuming this dealership doesn't have a $150-200k reserve on the car (which they well might, given its limited production)

Cls_55amg... ;)

NetViper said:
Why not a DB9. I LOVE that car and it has much better performance than the AMV8. The AMV8 is not really very fast for the $$$. The NSX is faster to 60.

You can't compare a V12 to a V8. DB9 obviously will out-perform it's younger sibling. It's those stupid magazine and number-crunching bench dyno' freaks who mis-inform the public on what is an elite car and what isn't. There's a phenomenon known as balance that unfortunately many don't seem to comprehend.

And just how fast is fast?!? Top-speed/0-60/1/4's don't define a car nor the ownership experience. docdan's past sportscars have been 2-seat coupes that easily have the comfort of a GT yet the performance/prowess of an enthusiast's sportscar.

I ::heart:: the DB9, but it's a horrible buy. Preowned, it has to compete w/ 360's & Gallardo's. Off the showroom floor, it has to compete w/ F430's, Continental GT's, and even it's elder stable-mate Vanquish.

In effort to not get overboard, staying within the confines of preset limits...

pre-owned '02-'05 NSX-T, pre-owned DB7 Volante, preowned 996 Turbo, 997 Carrera_S, Cayman, M6, XLR, XK-R, Moble, Z8...

Tweak the price slightly...

pre-owned Gallardo (possible?), AMV8V, 997 GT1, 360 Modena coupe

Thats the one!!! Reminds me of the women I see with the pointy high heels that crush their toes. I have one friend who's toes look mangled for life. She wears those shoes even around the house. Eesh.

Back