• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do in/near Cape Cod, MA?

The wife and kids and I will be staying with the Father-in-Law in Hyannis for a week in June. What is there to do? We'd be willing to drive for a number of hours if the attraction was worth the trip. We'll be flying into Providence, RI and either renting or borrowing a car while we are there.

Thanks!
Dave

Well... I dunno, what do you LIKE to do? I lived on Cape Cod in Sandwich (from 2000-2002), we had to go to Hyannis to find anything to do (or leave the cape).

Note that when I lived there, it was basically IMPOSSIBLE to go anywhere on Route 6 or 28 (that includes leaving the cape or going on to the cape) from Friday around lunch time until Sunday night. I know they've removed the Route 6 rotary to help alleviate the traffic, but I have no idea to what extent it has.

The Cape Cod nat'l seashore is a great beach, Provincetown is a must see if you like shopping in quaint stores, good seafood and people watching (some REAL freaks there). Also it's fun to take a ferry to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. The aquarium in Woods Hole might be fun for the kids (dunno how old they are).

Boston is about an hour north (during non-traffic times).

Normal family stuff mostly. Some good photo ops would be nice. I don't need to hit all of the tourist traps. I'd just like to know that I saw/experienced the area while I was there. It sounds like my Father-in-law is planning on taking me on a charter fishing boat because I love to fish. The wife wondered if a trip to either DC or NY is a good idea/close enough/worth it. Kids are 6 and 13. Is Provincetown kid safe? It sounds like it might be something we'd enjoy - if the freaks don't, uh, get in the way.

Normal family stuff mostly. Some good photo ops would be nice. I don't need to hit all of the tourist traps. I'd just like to know that I saw/experienced the area while I was there. It sounds like my Father-in-law is planning on taking me on a charter fishing boat because I love to fish. The wife wondered if a trip to either DC or NY is a good idea/close enough/worth it. Kids are 6 and 13. Is Provincetown kid safe? It sounds like it might be something we'd enjoy - if the freaks don't, uh, get in the way.

Provincetown is absolutely kid safe, you shouldn't miss it. No point in DC or NY, DC is an 8 hour drive, and why bother with NYC when Boston is an hour away. There is TONS to do in Boston.

Should We make a day of it?

Absolutely! The best way to get around the city is probably taking the T (MBTA, ie, subway/train). You could even drive to Plymouth, MA just off the Cape and take the commuter rail from there into Boston (South Station). From there you're a 15 minute walk or a 15 minute train ride to Fanieul Hall or the New England Aquarium and a 5 minute walk to the Boston Children's Museum (it was closed for renovations a while back, make sure it's open). There's the Boston Museum of Science, Fenway Park (if the Red Sox are in town and you can score tickets)... gotta run, wife calling me.

Hi, Dave,

Yes, I would definitely recommend a day trip to Boston, MA - for kids, I highly recommend the Duck Tours. You get to learn a lot about Boston and your kids will love the experience.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

I would also recommend a day trip to Newport, RI (about 30-40min from Hyannis). It is a beautiful town and you can look around Newport mansions along the shore. You will have lots of photo opportunities.

http://www.newportmansions.org/

Have fun!

I was going to mention duck tours as well... also perhaps the observation deck at the Hancock or Prudential. Newport is a great idea too, that's a fun town. I also enjoy the drive along 1A starting in Salisbury Beach, MA and going north along the ocean up into Portsmouth, NH. Another great town... you can keep going from there north into Maine and not far over the border into Kennybunkport, home away from home of our fearless leader GW.... *cough*

No problem. If you end up doing the 1A drive, drop me a PM if you have net access, I'm on the coast in that general area. My wife is always up for going out for lunch or dinner :).

Is Provincetown kid safe? It sounds like it might be something we'd enjoy - if the freaks don't, uh, get in the way.

Gay communities are the safest areas around. Provincetown is very clean and well taken care of. Nice restaurants, nice sunsets. You should stay for a sunset there. Anyway what's the worst that can happen? if anyone really gets angry at you the worst they will do is pull your hair. :biggrin:

I also recommend the whale watch with the kids. Its a 3 hour round trip by boat (from Boston, less from Provincetown or Hyanis I am sure).. the whales get very close... I got wet from the water spraying from their blowhorn. They use the boat to trap fish between them and the boat so they can eat. Its very cool. Just dress warm it gets cold on the water.

The wife and kids and I will be staying with the Father-in-Law in Hyannis for a week in June. What is there to do? We'd be willing to drive for a number of hours if the attraction was worth the trip. We'll be flying into Providence, RI and either renting or borrowing a car while we are there.

Thanks!
Dave

"What's there to do".. on the Cape??? You've got to be kidding me!!!

-Wick

Thought of this last night...

On the way back from provincetown (or some other night), there's a REAL LIVE drive in movie theater in Wellfleet. If your kids haven't been to one of those, I bet they'd love it. There aren't too many left in the US.

Also it's a nice walk along the canal. Park in Sandwich by the power plant and you can walk/bike/skateboard, whatever for several miles. There are also probably 30 or 40 miles of paved bike paths on the cape (old railroad beds). I used to ride my bike to work along the canal and bike paths every day. The longest one runs from Hyannis to Wellfleet which is probably around 20 miles and the majority of it is off public roads through the woods.

I'd also suggest a day of fishing and even a whale watch. June is one of the best times of the year to be out on the ocean. :biggrin: I haven't been to P-Town in 25+ years, but I sort of remember it being a little strange. :eek:

No problem. If you end up doing the 1A drive, drop me a PM if you have net access, I'm on the coast in that general area. My wife is always up for going out for lunch or dinner :).
Will do!

Gay communities are the safest areas around. Provincetown is very clean and well taken care of. Nice restaurants, nice sunsets. You should stay for a sunset there. Anyway what's the worst that can happen? if anyone really gets angry at you the worst they will do is pull your hair. :biggrin:
Thanks for the backup on this one, my Dad and Father-in-Law are on opposite ends of the spectrum advising whether to visit Provincetown or not, this helps.

I also recommend the whale watch with the kids. Its a 3 hour round trip by boat (from Boston, less from Provincetown or Hyanis I am sure).. the whales get very close... I got wet from the water spraying from their blowhorn. They use the boat to trap fish between them and the boat so they can eat. Its very cool. Just dress warm it gets cold on the water.
The whale watch is definitely on the agenda.

Thought of this last night...

On the way back from provincetown (or some other night), there's a REAL LIVE drive in movie theater in Wellfleet. If your kids haven't been to one of those, I bet they'd love it. There aren't too many left in the US.

Also it's a nice walk along the canal. Park in Sandwich by the power plant and you can walk/bike/skateboard, whatever for several miles. There are also probably 30 or 40 miles of paved bike paths on the cape (old railroad beds). I used to ride my bike to work along the canal and bike paths every day. The longest one runs from Hyannis to Wellfleet which is probably around 20 miles and the majority of it is off public roads through the woods.
This is exactly the kind of inside info I am after. Sounds like a good evening plan.

I'd also suggest a day of fishing and even a whale watch. June is one of the best times of the year to be out on the ocean. :biggrin: I haven't been to P-Town in 25+ years, but I sort of remember it being a little strange. :eek:
I had another friend suggest fishing for blues off the jettys. If I can figure out how to pack up the fishing rod, I'm going to be eating blues all week :D

Great fishing all over i'd recommend that!

Back