• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to look for in a NSX?

My NSX hunt is on... and my analytical mind has a few questions on what to look for:

1) I'm partial to the "flip up" headlights, so I'm shooting for MY91-01 manual transmission. Between the 3.0L and 3.2L V6 engines, which is the more reliable one? A few posters have mentioned the 3.2 with headbolts coming out; timeserts appear to remedy this. Headbolts coming out a common occurence, or is it fairly isolated. What are typical costs for the timeserts? Any issues with the 3.0L engine?

2) Are there any noticeable performance differences or "seat in the pants feeling" between the 3.0 and 3.2 engines? Has anyone made the transition from the 3.0 to 3.2? Or from 3.2 to 3.0?

3) Any issues with gear pop out on the MTs? My 2010 TL 6MT had its 3rd gear synchro issues/pop out that required a tranny rebuild.

4) Curious as how long tires last. How often before replacement? Can all seasons be used, or is it summer tires only?

5) Between a bone stock NSX and a NSX with Comptech SC/exhaust/headers (has been in car for over 10yrs) assuming price/MY are comparable, which one would you choose? There's one with a CSC for sale, been installed 10 years ago; so I'm going to assume there's no major issue with SC reliability. Would the one with CSC have greater value than the stock one? Esp since if one doesn't like the CSC one could take off the SC and sell it?

Thanks!

1) I'm partial to the "flip up" headlights, so I'm shooting for MY91-01 manual transmission. Between the 3.0L and 3.2L V6 engines, which is the more reliable one? A few posters have mentioned the 3.2 with headbolts coming out; timeserts appear to remedy this. Headbolts coming out a common occurence, or is it fairly isolated. What are typical costs for the timeserts? Any issues with the 3.0L engine?

The NA1 has head gaskets that are know to fail with FI. The NA2 head bolt issue appears quite rare but not unheard of; one has to imagine it too is much more likely with FI. Cost is on the order of $1k for just inserts but an engine rebuild is more like 8-10k.

2) Are there any noticeable performance differences or "seat in the pants feeling" between the 3.0 and 3.2 engines? Has anyone made the transition from the 3.0 to 3.2? Or from 3.2 to 3.0?

Hard to separate the influence of engines as compared to transmissions other than those who have done swaps. The 6-speed is more of a reason for the 97+ car than the engine, if I had to guess. Besides the '95 my mom had back when it was new (and of which I have little distinct memory) I've only driven a few different NA2 and one turbocharged NA1.

3) Any issues with gear pop out on the MTs? My 2010 TL 6MT had its 3rd gear synchro issues/pop out that required a tranny rebuild.

I believe that in 2000 or thereabouts, Honda changed the synchros on gears five and six to double cone (to make them stronger)?

4) Curious as how long tires last. How often before replacement? Can all seasons be used, or is it summer tires only?

"Can" use all-seasons yes but that cripples the car. Tires wear depends greatly on use but I get 5-10k including autocross use. If you want more life then get less grippy, but still summer, tires. If you want to drive in the snow or much below freezing then get winter tires.

5) Between a bone stock NSX and a NSX with Comptech SC/exhaust/headers (has been in car for over 10yrs) assuming price/MY are comparable, which one would you choose? There's one with a CSC for sale, been installed 10 years ago; so I'm going to assume there's no major issue with SC reliability. Would the one with CSC have greater value than the stock one? Esp since if one doesn't like the CSC one could take off the SC and sell it?

Many discussions on this. Since we are not really in purist-collector realm, it seems the CTSC has some value but that seems to be diminishing as values rise and people prefer unmodified cars. Depends on the market, right? For people who drive them, the power is fun. Reliability is difficult to judge. I've told my story.

I'm sure others have other answers.

Many discussions on this. Since we are not really in purist-collector realm, it seems the CTSC has some value but that seems to be diminishing as values rise and people prefer unmodified cars. Depends on the market, right? For people who drive them, the power is fun. Reliability is difficult to judge. I've told my story.

I'm sure others have other answers.

Appreciate the responses, thanks.

Did you have the CTSC added on after you bought the car, or was it already installed when you bought it?

Given a choice, would you buy a NSX stock or modded with CTSC?

Given a choice, would you buy a NSX stock or modded with CTSC?

I bought the NSX to drive, not to keep it as a collector car, so CTSC for me. The used 2000 MY CTSC NSX that I bought had the SC installed new from the dealership as a complete Comptech package , so it has been on the car for 15 years. I think I am the 4th owner of the car.

I bought the NSX to drive, not to keep it as a collector car, so CTSC for me. The used 2000 MY CTSC NSX that I bought had the SC installed new from the dealership as a complete Comptech package , so it has been on the car for 15 years. I think I am the 4th owner of the car.

I believe every word of this is accurate for me also.

If you can find an Un-modified NSX I would try and keep it as stock as possible. There are tons of cars out there that, no matter what you do to your NSX, will always be faster (think C-6 or 7 Corvette, Mustang GT 5.0, Subaru STI just to name a few). If you want a "fast" car you could probably buy one of those mentioned prior that will be less expensive. If you want an amazing handling car that's quick enough to get your pulse up, turns heads ever where you go, and will likely continue to appreciate buy an NSX. You better do it quickly.....the prices are going up up up.

Myself I'd look for the NSX with the best maintenance records.
I've found if an owner has kept good records he's most likely kept the car in top shape.
Superchargers, turbos, wheels tires can be added anytime if you've got a solid base unit to start with.

I'm amazed at the diy abilities of some new owners on prime..they can tackle any deficiencies.If you are not one of those,then as stated above a proper maintenance history is more important than lower mileage with a unknown history.

yeah but how do you know the guy is proficient mechanic. if a guy said he did the timing belt/water pump himself how do you know it was done. I go with maintenance records.

no I'm saying there seem to be more than a few folks tackling basket cases or those with no history and doing a fine job overall,whether I would buy a car from a someone who does there own motor work and is not at a Larry B level is another story.

Back