• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whats a fair price to offer on a 02 NSX?

Well, I was about to take the nsX plunge - was looking at a 02 NSX w/ 7K miles, CT exhaust and nasty wood trim pieces.

The stealer wanted 72K, i offered 65 - they came back at 68K...and didnt budge so i walked...

down the street to the porsche dealer. As we all know, the new 997 is a fantastic car - 325/355 HP, gorgeous looks etc.

Anyhow, now that the 997 cab has been released, I'm all prepped to get one in the spring. However, the stealership called me back with the "dont you want an nsx under the tree thing"?

IMO 65K for a 3 (15) year old honda vs 74K w/ some options (69K base) is a no brainer - get the porshce right? Well, I guess if i can save some $$$ the X may be a good choice. If this dealer is calling me back - I'm imagining they're having trouble moving this car. I still cant belive that acura expects one to pay $89K for such an old car. Either way, if you were I what woul you do?

Whats a good price to offer? I guess I'm over the nsx thing as the only way I'll buy the car is if i get a screaming deal. In all honesty though the acura simply doesnt measure up to the 997. Styling is subjective - but the interior options are seriously lacking on the X - no nav, 4 speaker bose (9 on the porsche) and limited usefulness (porsche has real back seats for cargo and lil people).

i'm not trying to flame - just asking what you guys would do - given my options. Would any of you buy an 05 NSx over an 05 997 (for the same $$$)?

Am i missing something? I'm assuming that the 997 is at least .5 sec faster to 60. I'm sure the handling is similar.

thanks

It almost sounds like you want us to convince you not to buy a Porsche. We shouldnt have to convince you on the Nsx, one test drive should get you hooked on it.

If you want a Porsche, then go get one.
If you want a Nsx, then offer the dealership between 64-65k, see if they bite. If not, tell them to call you after it sits on the lot for a while, etc.

Talking for myself i would go for the Porsche, as you said, the Honda design is kinda old - 15 years+. Also you get about 100 additional hp for the same money and if im going to spend ~80 000 $, which is i think not only for myself a looot of money, i would like to have a navigator, car phone etc.

Dont take my post to serious, as i said, personally i would go for the Porsche.
Mabye im prejudiced, im owning a 911 myself and never owned a NSX. But im looking forward to own one someday ;)

qirex said:
...Am i missing something? I'm assuming that the 997 is at least .5 sec faster to 60...

thanks

Yes. The 2005 Corvette has almost the same performance numbers as the 997 and it's ~$30,000 less.

Sorry Mr. Picky, the gt3 got 100 more, not the standart 997. How can i atone.

i'm not trying to have you guys convince me anything - i'm just trying to see if there's something i dont "get".

both cars are top of their class in reliability etc.

I think the prob i'm having is that all i originally wanted was a targa nsx - then i drove the 02 X after driving an f355. $40K became $70K all of a sudden. However, now as i pore over the wealth of data and pictures i've collected over the past 3 months of my car searching, i realize that a *newer* nsx represents poor value.
Comparing (its funny that acuras website even encourages it) an nsx with a 997 or C6 corvette is laughable. Both the vette and 997 offer greater power and speed, while both are literally bristling with advanced technology that acura puts in the rl, tl but not the nsx.

So why the post? i'd snap up an 02 nsx for $45-56K and was wondering what the lowest anybody has paid.

I wonder whether the salvos fired betweenchevy and porsche have left the nsx even more undesireable - and hence will decrease the demand for new models further.
Seriously, the nsx is an awesome value as a used exotic, but as a brand new car....who in their right mind would pony up $80K for new one?

I've always wanted an nsx - but now that i can have one, acura's negligence of this awesome car is really sad. If they didnt want to continue developing it - they should have killed it long ago. Right now, its like watching "the champ" get into the ring against 19 yr old super-heavyweights. Ali was the greatest in his time - but to watch him fight now...

yeah...its hard to recocile the $30K diff in price btw the 997 vette....until you get inside a 997 and collect your jaw from the floor from drooling over the cocoa brown leather interior.

hey...a chrysler 300C (v8)has got to be as fast as an S500 MB. (or.an acura RL for that matter) .I dont see anybody cross shopping those. A porsche is a luxury product. I hate porsche's prices for options that *should* be standard....but hell we gotta pay trhe piper (i guess).

You will not be able to find a 2002 NSX for $45-56k.

You can get a 97 for low 40s.

As for the 911, the 997 has 325 hp. in base trim, 355 hp. in S trim. That is 35 and 65 hp. more than a 3.2 liter NSX, which is likely underrated at 290 BTW. Performance figures for the base 997 are roughly equal to the NSX, while the Carrera S is a few ticks faster.

Spec your 911 with the options you want and then tell us how much more it costs than the NSX. If cost is an issue, you should look into the NSX lease, as it is extremely competitive and would save you several hundred dollars a month over the 911.

qirex said:
i'm not trying to have you guys convince me anything - i'm just trying to see if there's something i dont "get".

Obviously there is. You are comaring specs and prices. People buy sports cars based on emotions.

i realize that a *newer* nsx represents poor value.

If you feel a newer NSX represents a poor value, do not buy one. That seems pretty obvious.

The stealer wanted 72K, i offered 65 - they came back at 68K...and didnt budge so i walked...
So why the post? i'd snap up an 02 nsx for $45-56K and was wondering what the lowest anybody has paid.

You said in your first post that you offered $65k for a 2002 NSX but walked since the dealer wouldn't agree to that. Now you are saying you would pay $45k-$56k. Which is it? You don't sound like a serious buyer to me.

And I would "snap up" a 2002 Ferrari 360 for $90k. Too bad for me they sell for a lot more than that.

brahtw8 said:
You will not be able to find a 2002 NSX for $45-56k.

You can get a 97 for low 40s.

As for the 911, the 997 has 325 hp. in base trim, 355 hp. in S trim. That is 35 and 65 hp. more than a 3.2 liter NSX, which is likely underrated at 290 BTW. Performance figures for the base 997 are roughly equal to the NSX, while the Carrera S is a few ticks faster.

Spec your 911 with the options you want and then tell us how much more it costs than the NSX. If cost is an issue, you should look into the NSX lease, as it is extremely competitive and would save you several hundred dollars a month over the 911.

the options i want come out to $75k

base 997
full leather
sports seats
sports chrono
colored wheelcaps.

that is until the cab came out yesterday (spring arrival)
so i get to wait some more.
I'll never lease another car again.
The money is pretty much a non-issue.

I'm still driving my leased "residency car" 350Z.
Every now and then i get impulsive - but i remember the feeling of seeing a conv 350Z come out 6 months after i got my coupe.

here in san diego - a conv is a year-round car!

here's what I think....

"if you're spending $80K for a car, you should have your mind set to the car you want already"

btw, I woudn't mind having both of your choices...the NSX takes the exterior look in my book, though.... :biggrin:

qirex said:
I'll never lease another car again.
The money is pretty much a non-issue.

I understand you are anti-lease, but the NSX lease is extremely subvented (subsidized) by the manufacturer and is an extremely good deal. If I was looking for a new or nearly new NSX, I would definitely check out the lease. It is almost too good to pass up (although not as good as last year's offer).

avg wholesale is 57,500
avg retail is 63,500
anywhere in between is where the deal should happen. dealer does not give any extra for optional exhaust, tires, etc and neither should you.

i offered him 58K - he wanted the original 65K i offered.

I told him that I just ordered a 997cab (he flipped out and started telling me "doc that car is totally worthless...") - so i politely told him forget ANY deal see ya.

its kinda sad, this dealership symbolic motors in lajolla has a Bunch of ferraris, lambos, and bentleys for sale -yet there sales staff are a bunch of classless meatheads (including the manager graham - he's just got an english accent).

While I got to drive a bunch of their cars - I already knew that I couldnt buy anything from them.

If anybody checks out an imola orange 02 NSX at these guys - dont offer anything over 65K. Another thing - while the car only had 7K miles on it. It had a VERY UNHONDA and UNNSX (based on my 91 experience) clutch/trans whine. Its prolly not a big deal, but these guys are soooo untrustworthy, I wouldnt be surprised if they were selling a car that had been in an accident.

Here's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth - an '02 NSX For Sale Today, like mine shown here, (shameless plug) should be worth anywhere from 59 - 63k.

When I priced my car 2 weeks ago, I began at $62,900. I lowered the price to $62,500 - and I truly think that my asking price is very reasonable for a car of this condition, low miles, as well as the added protection of the Acura extended warranty and other items I have added.

A local dealer has an '02 with more mileage than my car and is yellow w/yellow (horrible color combo if you ask me) for $69,995. "Stealers", as the original poster put it, are exactly that - they want to make anywhere from 7k - 10k on cars like these. (this according to a friend of mine who is a used car manager)

Wholesale values for these cars is always a bit low - unless you're a dealer, I've learned a lesson a long time ago -don't even bother looking at wholesale - I used to look at Galves wholesale guide and say "wow, I can pick up a used 911 twin turbo for $49,500!!" - yeah right, find me the car or someone willing to part with it for that price. Their only guides and unless you're a dealer with a plentiful supply, you're not getting them for that. Keep in mind that wholesale values also represent a bit of an added bonus to the owner who's trading them in - here in NJ, you reduce the sales tax you'll pay on a new car by 6% of the value of the trade - so a trade in that's worth $50,000 is actually worth $53,000 to the individual trading it, since you reduce the tax you pay on the new car by that $3000.

Clean 2002 cars in perfect condition, (again, like mine) should be in the 59k - 62k range. Acura Certified cars should bring anywhere from $500 to $1000 more. Low mileage, add a few more bucks. Average miles for '02's should be in the low to mid 20's. According to Galves, my car has a $2,700 adjustment because of the low mileage. You may find some in the mid 50's, as shown in the NSX prime forums, but their with higher mileage - and who knows the condition, (without pics) other than a spoken word of an owner.

njcycleguy said:
Average miles for '02's should be in the low to mid 20's.
Not true. NSXs do not accumulate miles at the same rate as other cars. Average (median, actually) miles on any year NSX is about 5K miles per year. Thus, average miles on a 2002 should be 10-15K at this point in time. A 2002 NSX with over 15K has above-average mileage. A 2002 NSX doesn't have below-average mileage unless the mileage is under 10K.

For example, right now there are 16 2002 NSXs listed with their mileage on Autotrader. Of these, 5 are under 10K miles, 5 are 10-15K miles, and 4 are over 15K miles (excluding the two bogus listings for $15-20K).

Most of the guidebooks are just plain wrong when it comes to low-volume cars like the NSX, because they don't take differences from one model car to another into account. This is one of the ways in which they are often wrong.

Also, late-mileage used cars that are for sale by dealers tend to have higher mileage than private party cars...

I agree on the mileage bit and stand corrected - however I also think think the area of the country you are looking in also may impact price / mileage. For example, weather permits someone in Florida and California to drive their NSX year round, whereas other parts of the country can't. (i.e. New Jersey, where my car won't come out till spring, unless it's sold, of course).

I picked up a 2003 with only 2800 miles on Ebay last month for only 65,000.
I thought this was an excellent deal....almost skeptical about purchasing, but everything checked out fine! The guy said he needed to sell quick because of a deposit on a Mercedes :smile: Works for me!

Back