• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the most you would pay for a Red/Black 92 in really good condition 33k miles?

Trying to decide if I want to buy this.. only thing wrong with the car is one speaker doesn't work, and the A/C blows maximum fan speed only..

Car has just over 30k miles
Red exterior black interior
mechanic owned
not a scratch on her
Interior pristine except for wrinkles in the driver seat bolster, but not bad.
Timing belt changed recently
Clutch engages relatively high but owner assures clutch has never been abused and has plenty of life left

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I'm not in the market,so you should have a better idea of current sale pricing than me....you would also know what kind of cars are out there for sale...the good ones sell fast.....from my experience on prime someone might pay upwards of 40k for this car if it is as good as you describe with that mileage.

I'm not in the market,so you should have a better idea of current sale pricing than me....you would also know what kind of cars are out there for sale...the good ones sell fast.....from my experience on prime someone might pay upwards of 40k for this car if it is as good as you describe with that mileage.

You can always float a trial balloon by offering what YOU think it is worth. Be ready to have the seller walk, though.

My feeling is that we will be seeing a ton of cars come on to the market here soon.

I ended up passing on this car. I was willing to pay low 50's, that's how clean it is. But, being a 92 the road noise was a little harsh, and I remember my 03 being much quieter at highway speeds. Fig'd I better drive an 02 before picking up an older one that I might regret. Can someone comment on this.. do the newer nsx's have more sound deadening materials, or something, or is my mind playing tricks?

My silver Sebring (avatar) had horrendous road noise when it arrived. Turned out to be nearly bald Kumho Ecstas on the rear. I put on some meaty new tires and VOILA, the car was super silent. No road noise, no transmission noise, etc. Just pure throttle.

Interesting, thanks for those replies.. the car has Yokohoma tires, relatively new, on the original rims. Wonder if problem is they're just plain loud? ..and I'm not kidding, at highway speeds (70-75mph) you feel like your just barely yelling at each other to have a conversation.

I ended up passing on this car. I was willing to pay low 50's, that's how clean it is. But, being a 92 the road noise was a little harsh, and I remember my 03 being much quieter at highway speeds. Fig'd I better drive an 02 before picking up an older one that I might regret. Can someone comment on this.. do the newer nsx's have more sound deadening materials, or something, or is my mind playing tricks?

You would have overpaid IMO...good thing you walked.

And I have a 92, nice to know you are willing to pay that much, but for a bone stock 92 at $50k is flattering to say the least...

Don't over pay for low mileage ....you could get a clean 91-94 with some miles on her and save a shitload of money...

Don't get hung up on the mileage and look for maintained well taken care of cars instead....$35k should be plenty enough to find one....

I've been tracking the market for upwards of a year now in my search. I've got about 80 REAL transaction data points (and and about that many in anecdotal transactions) in my spreadsheet now. It's my opinion that this car would sell for $45K pretty fast assuming it's well advertised. $50K is really a reach and I don't care how clean it is. Might someone pay that? Sure, but from what I've seen, it would be a more than one standard deviation to the right.

Personally, I agree with 91 X. Unless your goal is to leave it in a garage, I would look for one with a bit more on the clock that you aren't afraid to drive. True collector quality car at this point would be looking at below 15K miles anyway. A 15K mile car will get a $50K+ price in today's market. I do disagree though about the $35K bit. Unfortunately (or fortunately for all current owners), you won't be able to get near a decently sorted car (bone stock, well maintained and under 90k miles) for $35K. Those days (for the time being) are gone.

Last edited:
Thanks for those opinions.. one more question.. why do people frown on years 95 and 96? Are they less desirable than 91-94? How would you value those?

Here are the changes I found via nsx prime for the 95 yr.. are the a net negative?:

1995 NSX-T[edit]
Beginning in 1995, the NSX-T with a removable targa top was introduced in Japan as a special order option and in North America in March 1995. ,[19] The NSX-T replaced the standard coupe entirely as the only version available post 1994 and all NSXs thereafter were in targa form with the notable exceptions of the Zanardi Special Edition NSX in 1999 and a handful of special order post-1997/pre-2002 3.2 litre coupes. The removable roof resulted in decreased chassis rigidity and Honda added about 100 pounds (45 kg) of structural reinforcements to compensate, including significantly thicker frame sidesill rocker panels (the body component which contributes most to the chassis's rigidity[20]), bulkheads, roof pillars and the addition of new front/rear bulkhead and floorpan crossmembers.[21] The targa models, produced for the rest of the NSX's production run thru 2005, sacrificed weight and some of the original coupe's chassis rigidity in return for an open cockpit driving experience. In addition to this major change, all subsequent NSX-Ts (1995-2001) had smaller-diameter front sway bars, slightly stiffer front springs, softer rear springs and firmer shock-dampers [22] to improve ride comfort and tire wear while reducing the tendency towards oversteer common in mid-engined vehicles. All roofs post 1995 were now body-coloured instead of black, although in Japan, the two-tone black roof/body colour was still available as an optional feature. A lighter version of the variable ratio electric assisted power steering rack, previously found exclusively in the automatic transmission equipped NSXs, became standard on all models. Starting in 1995 the 5-speed transmission's second gear ratio was lowered by 4.2% to improve driveability and provide better response and automatic transmissions received an optional Formula One-inspired Sport Shift with a unique steering column mounted electronic shifter.[23] Manual transmission cars received an improved Torque Reactive limited-slip differential - when combined with a new Throttle-By-Wire system, increased corner exit speeds by 10%. Other innovations beginning in 1995 included a new and lighter exhaust and muffler configuration for greater efficiency and lower emissions,[23] an OBD-II onboard diagnostic system, improvements in the Traction Control System (TCS) and newly developed fuel injectors.[24]

Thanks for those opinions.. one more question.. why do people frown on years 95 and 96? Are they less desirable than 91-94? How would you value those?

Here are the changes I found via nsx prime for the 95 yr.. are the a net negative?:

1995 NSX-T[edit]
Beginning in 1995, the NSX-T with a removable targa top was introduced in Japan as a special order option and in North America in March 1995. ,[19] The NSX-T replaced the standard coupe entirely as the only version available post 1994 and all NSXs thereafter were in targa form with the notable exceptions of the Zanardi Special Edition NSX in 1999 and a handful of special order post-1997/pre-2002 3.2 litre coupes. The removable roof resulted in decreased chassis rigidity and Honda added about 100 pounds (45 kg) of structural reinforcements to compensate, including significantly thicker frame sidesill rocker panels (the body component which contributes most to the chassis's rigidity[20]), bulkheads, roof pillars and the addition of new front/rear bulkhead and floorpan crossmembers.[21] The targa models, produced for the rest of the NSX's production run thru 2005, sacrificed weight and some of the original coupe's chassis rigidity in return for an open cockpit driving experience. In addition to this major change, all subsequent NSX-Ts (1995-2001) had smaller-diameter front sway bars, slightly stiffer front springs, softer rear springs and firmer shock-dampers [22] to improve ride comfort and tire wear while reducing the tendency towards oversteer common in mid-engined vehicles. All roofs post 1995 were now body-coloured instead of black, although in Japan, the two-tone black roof/body colour was still available as an optional feature. A lighter version of the variable ratio electric assisted power steering rack, previously found exclusively in the automatic transmission equipped NSXs, became standard on all models. Starting in 1995 the 5-speed transmission's second gear ratio was lowered by 4.2% to improve driveability and provide better response and automatic transmissions received an optional Formula One-inspired Sport Shift with a unique steering column mounted electronic shifter.[23] Manual transmission cars received an improved Torque Reactive limited-slip differential - when combined with a new Throttle-By-Wire system, increased corner exit speeds by 10%. Other innovations beginning in 1995 included a new and lighter exhaust and muffler configuration for greater efficiency and lower emissions,[23] an OBD-II onboard diagnostic system, improvements in the Traction Control System (TCS) and newly developed fuel injectors.[24]

Simply put, the 95-6s have the lowest power/weight ratio due to still having the 270HP engine with the additional weight of the Targa apparatus and reinforcements.

So, when I break down the different groups, I generally see the following

1991-1994: Over time, I think MAYBE you get a premium for 1991 due to 1st year... Even though that was the highest production year. 92-93 trade at a bit of a discount within the group because of the snap-ring potential. So personally, if I were hunting in the NA1 Range, I would be most excited for a 1994

1995-1996: Will always be a red-headed stepchild of the 1st gen NSX (as discussed above)

1997-2001: NA2 Emerges. Right now, decent premium to all NA1, but over time, I would guess those trade relatively similar to the 1991-1994 subset. Seems that within the group, the 2000-2001 trade at a slight premium as well. People really like perforated leather? It's a taste thing I suppose.

2002-2005: Two things going on here. First is that currently, they are simply newer. Thus the large current premium. Over time, where do they trade? I think this is the big mystery. On one hand, to some it will represent the sum total of everything Honda learned over the course of a decade plus thus representing "the best" NSX. Additionally, they had the lowest production numbers of all simply making them rarer. On the other hand, many people will seek out the "purity" of the NA1 cars. It's a tough one here.

It will ALWAYS be a question of taste in my opinion, but the debate will always be alive on the following questions :
NA1 vs NA2?
Flip-ups vs Froggy eyes?
Targa vs Coupe?

And, I think when the dust finally does settle, (probably a few years off from now) that most collectors and enthusiasts will look at 1991-2005 simply as Gen1 cars and the pricing will end up being relatively flat across the years with the exception of the 1995-6 cars. People will simply look at condition, mileage, history more than all other items we are currently concerned with.

- - - Updated - - -

Targa top without NA2 upgrades.

This vehicle will provide an interesting data point on the 1996 model year: https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=FL0115-203560

ohhh...

Didn't even see that one. Will certainly set a benchmark for the group.
Personally, I would be surprised (and excited) if that car trades much above $50k. Nothing particularly notable other than the low mileage.

I am going to be down at the Kissimmee auction, so I plan on having a look through it. Visually though, it appears to be a very nice 1996, but the Mecum crowd at this auction is rather dominated by muscle, so it may have a rough sale. Very hard to say.

I am going to be down at the Kissimmee auction, so I plan on having a look through it. Visually though, it appears to be a very nice 1996, but the Mecum crowd at this auction is rather dominated by muscle, so it may have a rough sale. Very hard to say.

My guess, final sale is $47.5K plus/minus a bit. The venue is def. not ideal for an NSX, but given the recent hype, you might get a slow moving deer star-struck with a shiny red low mileage "oddity". Can you please post me on the price after it crosses the block?

You guys are good, so I'll ask another question that's been on my mind.. I recently drove a 97 and that 91 mentioned earlier. The 97 felt much faster. Does the 91 require higher revs to achieve the same fun factor? Isn't that bad from the standpoint of engine live vs. the 97? Sorry if this is a dumb question but it's a consideration when choosing the year I'm going to buy.

I am estimating that 1996 will come in under $40k to be honest. Very interested to see it though and will post the info here.

re: Bear
1997 is a bit faster than a 1991 mostly due to gear ratios. I have done a few casual red-light races with friends and I tend to come out on top with my 2001 by a hair. The difference is very marginal though. I have also driven a clean 1991 back to back with my 2001 and to be honest the cars don't feel that much different in terms of one faster than the other. What you mostly notice between the models is the manual steering and the targa. At low speeds, the 1991 steering is a lot more engaging and fun. I also imagine there is a stiffness difference, but I didn't corner the 1991 hard enough to really feel it. The suspension on my 2001 is still very stiff even with the targa according to a passenger in my car (who has owned is 1992 for roughly 9 years and has had fairly extensive track experience) when I did some aggressive cornering, so again the differences are minor.

There are various mechanical upgrades that occurred to the engine through out its lifespan that the later models benefit from. I am mostly ignorant of those changes, but owners of the early years can probably chime in with some of the changes as there are people who often upgrade their car's components when they get the chance and have the engine out.

You guys are good, so I'll ask another question that's been on my mind.. I recently drove a 97 and that 91 mentioned earlier. The 97 felt much faster. Does the 91 require higher revs to achieve the same fun factor? Isn't that bad from the standpoint of engine live vs. the 97? Sorry if this is a dumb question but it's a consideration when choosing the year I'm going to buy.

this was my experience too
I drove a 97, 02 and a 91 but skipped on the na1 cause it didn't have any "power"
my buddy got a 3.2 out into his 95 with a 5 spd tranny
i was curious if the 3.2 made a big difference or if it was the tranny
i am reporting that the 3.2 with 5 speed didn't have the same power as na2 feel
i own a 2002 so I know for a fact gearing makes a huge difference.

Two things:

1) The '96 Mecum NSX with 12k miles sold yesterday for $67,000, or $72,000 after he auction fee the buyer had to pay. Stupid-big money if you ask me...I would have pegged it closer to BlackTop99's prediction.

2) I disagree with BlackTop99 that the '95's and '96's will "always be a red-headed stepchild". With their revised gearing, they feel faster than the earlier models to me. And with the new differential and other updates made starting in '95, the '95 and '96 cars are faster in real-world conditions because they corner much faster, in spite of the slightly lower power to weight ratio.

Interesting, thanks for those replies.. the car has Yokohoma tires, relatively new, on the original rims. Wonder if problem is they're just plain loud? ..and I'm not kidding, at highway speeds (70-75mph) you feel like your just barely yelling at each other to have a conversation.

If the tires are new and not feathered, then you are probably looking at failing front wheel bearing on this car...hence the high noise level. I have noticed this on 91 - 92 MY NSX's.

Bram

If the tires are new and not feathered, then you are probably looking at failing front wheel bearing on this car...hence the high noise level. I have noticed this on 91 - 92 MY NSX's.

Bram

Interesting.. Can that be the case in a 33k mile car? Also, what's the replacement cost.. approx?

low 50s would have been a terrible price on that car, imo. with all the little problems you mentioned, i would have paid high 30s, max. i paid 52 for a pristine 2001 with 54k miles, everything working inside, and a fresh tb/wp.

I stand corrected, GREATLY corrected :p

Indeed. scraping my jaw off the floor...

1991-1994: Over time, I think MAYBE you get a premium for 1991 due to 1st year... Even though that was the highest production year. 92-93 trade at a bit of a discount within the group because of the snap-ring potential. So personally, if I were hunting in the NA1 Range, I would be most excited for a 1994

Interesting thread. Snap ring issues were limited to certain 91-92's only. I don't want any unintentionally incorrect info to prevent Jerry Seinfeld from offering $100k+ for mine. :)

Back