• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel Paint Advice Needed

I seriously scuffed the paint off three of the spokes of my otherwise perfect OEM front wheel on my 98 (the middle of the spokes). I can repair and prepare these areas for painting myself, but I have no idea whether the entire wheel should be repainted or if just these areas could be painted (and then the paint feathered in - like paint on a body part).

I'll have a "pro" do any painting, but just wondered if anyone has any advice for me. TIA.

I would consider having the entire wheel refinished, unless you have a really good wheel repair shop. I once had a section of a wheel repaired and you could see the area that was repaired. It wasn't overly obvious, but I knew where to look and I could clearly see it.

I have repaired the messed-up paint on one of my wheels and you wouldn't know it unless I pointed it out and even then you'd have to squat by the car with a flashlight.
Basically, I had to loosen any chipped paint in the affected area, and lightly sand the pitted area. Mask off the section with blue tape, cover the rest of the wheel with newspaper, then start building up any depressions with primer. Smooth with decreasing grits autobody sandpaper until perfect. Then, it is off to the auto parts store to get the closest Duplicolor you can find -- this took several trips. Lightly apply to the area, feather it out a bit on the last coat. Apply clearcoat (from a can, Duplicolor again).
Also, a set of micromesh (can be obtained from Woodcraft) will allow you to obtain a mirror finish on your paint -- or anything else.
Anyway, that's an overview of how to do it if you are cheap like me.

I seriously scuffed the paint off three of the spokes of my otherwise perfect OEM front wheel on my 98 (the middle of the spokes). I can repair and prepare these areas for painting myself, but I have no idea whether the entire wheel should be repainted or if just these areas could be painted (and then the paint feathered in - like paint on a body part).

I'll have a "pro" do any painting, but just wondered if anyone has any advice for me. TIA.

*If the wheel is indeed a 98 OEM 7 spoke, the finish is most likely the "brushed" finished, which is not easily duplicated, even by a wheel shop. This is where I would definitely recommend a pro to restore to original finish.

Also, no biggie, but this belongs in the "NSX Tires & Wheels" section. ;)

Last edited:
If refinishing the wheels, make sure the shop doesn't grind any metal off the spokes of the wheels. The spokes on the '97-'01 wheels are designed to tolerance, and any material removed will weaken and cause the spokes to crack. Ask me how I know. :redface:

Back