• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel rash

Ultimately, only a wheel repair shop can fix it to the point where it's completely gone but there are some things you can do to make it less noticeable. If you have a dremel and a variety of abrasives (and a whole lot of patience), you can smooth the area out. I used small sanding drums starting with a 120 grit and moving up to 480 at the end. Then I took the buffing pads and polished up the repaired area. Now, I've got the machine finished wheels (97) so did not need to worry about paint. It's now not noticeable from ten feet away but if you get down at the wheel, the repair area is evident.

I use a Vixen File to smooth curbed wheel rims. If you are not familiar with a Vixen File it is commonly used in aviation to smooth out nicks in propeller blades of fixed wing aircraft. It is also used in automotive body shops to smooth out Bondo. It has very open teeth that do not fill up with material. It will leave a lot smoother surface than the dremel, but will take off more material to do that.

Brad

Attachments

• Vixen File.jpg
    Vixen File.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 59
Ultimately, only a wheel repair shop can fix it to the point where it's completely gone but there are some things you can do to make it less noticeable. If you have a dremel and a variety of abrasives (and a whole lot of patience), you can smooth the area out. I used small sanding drums starting with a 120 grit and moving up to 480 at the end. Then I took the buffing pads and polished up the repaired area. Now, I've got the machine finished wheels (97) so did not need to worry about paint. It's now not noticeable from ten feet away but if you get down at the wheel, the repair area is evident.

just fyi, those are clearcoated. mine are beginning to peel.

just fyi, those are clearcoated. mine are beginning to peel.

That's why I wax them every time I wax the car, especially the area I repaired as it has no protection now.

That's why I wax them every time I wax the car, especially the area I repaired as it has no protection now.

Put some clear nail polish over it; it works.

But for the 97 wheels, once you start sanding, there is no way you can get the OEM look back with all those concentric grooves ....... if its the edge of lip near the tire where the curb rash is, then perhaps it won't be as noticeable. I recommend you ask a wheel repair shop first and then assess your options. For $165 up here in Sacto, it is well worth it. YMMV.

Is that like a list of illegitamate children? ...

Most body shops do business with rim repair shops. I had all 4 of my '01 wheels refinished for $400 and they came back like brand new.

thanks guys - all good suggestions. I used the Dremel on one spot and it looks a lot better, but I'm going the professional route.

I have aftermarket HP rims - 18" and 19" dia. Look great but tires are expensive.

I know of a place in my area that can completely take out chips, curb rashes etc.. and complete power coat whatever color desired. I just had my center caps power coated for $60.00 all 4.

I bought new tires (Kumho) and my tire guy fixed one of the rims. Can't even see it unless you get close. Great job. He'll do the others.

Thanks for all the input.

Pls close this thread.

Back