• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When mapping what information to supply tuner?

Car is confirmed for tuning on Friday!!! :D

When i get the car mapped.

I have a AEM boost controller he is also setting up on the dyno.

Do i specify the bhp level for low and high boost or do i specify what psi to set each level at?

I just want to clarify the sweet spot on a stock 3.0 as well.

High boost setting 8psi - 400 Wheel hp
Low boost setting 4psi - around 320 wheel bhp

Agreed these are safe numbers to run on a stock 3.0 engine? just want to make sure.

I will get him to map the car with the methanol injection settings on max so the pump will not be running as i will never hit those max psi settings. (effectively tuning without methanol injection)

Once the car is mapped i will set the low setting at 2psi what shall i set the max at? And i will get him to double check everything with the methanol to make sure it's good. I've changed from medium to smallest nozzle.

If the case is i supply psi and it makes more wheel hp than the safe level for a stock block does this matter? or the other way around if i supply the bhp goal and that is more than the safe level for psi would this matter?

Last edited:
Low setting at 2psi? I'm not sure they even make wg spring that low, maybe 3 psi. I would run low setting at least 5 psi or just forget about boost controller and run 7-8 psi off wg spring.

Low setting at 2psi? I'm not sure they even make wg spring that low, maybe 3 psi. I would run low setting at least 5 psi or just forget about boost controller and run 7-8 psi off wg spring.

He is talking about the progressive pump controller on the Meth system. and 2 PSI is what I would set the pump to start at, the upper limit will determine how much meth you are injecting based on the nozzle size. This has to be determined with dyno tuning and seeing what is needed to control the IAT's. Then fine tuned on the street or track with real world testing.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

If the case is i supply psi and it makes more wheel hp than the safe level for a stock block does this matter? or the other way around if i supply the bhp goal and that is more than the safe level for psi would this matter?

You are asking a question that not many people are willing or should be willing to advise you on. WHP and boost PSI goals are for you and your tuner to determine based on the know condition of the car, fuel type, forced induction system, and its supporting mods. Without knowing everything about the fuel system, engine management, drive line, service history, and many other factors I can not advise you on how to tune a car I have never seen, and neither should anyone else. You have hired a tuner to tune your car, you need to have this conversation with him. If he is not asking the questions to know what has been done to the car and advising you then maybe you need to do a little more research.

There is a process to tuning, since you have a boost controller the process will be easier than having to change springs at every power level. Your tuner should have a very good idea of what your potencial power levels will be after the basic WOT tuning at the lowest possible boost level is, that is when you have a conversation about what boost and power levels you want your boost contoller set at.

There are some common things to think about:
3.0L unopen bottom end has not got the best head gaskets in the world, so you will need to keep boost pressures lower than a 3.2l can handle
All OEM pistons will not take much abuse, so care needs to be taken there as well, your meth system will help if setup properly.
Many say that the 400whp is a safe place to be, but if it takes 12+ PSI and IAT's over 200 degrees to get there then that statement is no longer true.
Many say that 9PSI is a safe place to be, but if you have to over retard the engine timing to prevent knock than this is not the best place to be either.

You want to make the most power with the least amount of boost that your fuel system, engine, mods will support, and you want to factor in a safety margin for bad gas, plugs starting to foul, meth system failure, and what ever else you can think of that could go wrong. I am sorry if this is not a lot of help, but I can not give you the answer to a question with this many variables.

Dave

I agree with Dave there is a balance at play depending on the dyno, the turbocharger, which kit you are running, intercooling, temps that day, boost levels. If you are making 400whp at 8psi, I would say more than likely you are safe if your IAT's are under control. If it takes 12psi and 200+degree IAT's you have not properly sized you turbo kit for your goals. Which leads me to my next question why are you running meth injection?

Back