• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where did you find your NSX?

I have been looking through the prime classifieds, autotempest, craigslist, cars.com, autotrader and cargurus daily and haven't quite found what I am looking for. I was reading some posts about NSX purchases and got to thinking about what other places I could search. People usually don't talk about how they found their car, only where they found it and how they got it. So...how did you find your NSX?

Prime.. I was going to fly out to Cali on a Friday to pick up a car I found on CL but found a local primer selling the night before my flight

i searched all the sites you listed everyday for 7 months

Last edited:
My first one, (91 black on black)I found on Prime back in 2003.. Flew on a one way ticket to Portland and drove it 1000 miles back home...

My second one(92 Sebring silver) I found on autotrader.com in 2006 at a car museum/lot in San Diego...

My current one(92 black on black) that I picked up almost exactly a year ago, I found on my Craigslist app on my phone and was 15 minutes from my house:biggrin: I lucked out after looking like every day on every site possible for like two years..

The right car will find you....:smile:

What exactly are you looking for???

A great deal was just had on Craigslist recently ( 39k mile 91 Sebring silver) just sold for $37,000

There are some other good looking deals out there right now....one is on prime and a couple on Craigslist ...

Last edited:
you're on the right track. all you can do is scan CL, autotrader, eBay, etc., each day and when you find what you want move quickly. have your funds ready to go, organise a proper PPI and have your banker ready to move money.

the first NSX I wanted to buy back in '07 was a '91 red/black top with ivory interior. it was in mint condition in North Carolina with 80,000 miles for $24,000. it sold before I could get there. I found it on autotrader.com

the second NSX I went to buy about 9 months later was in Washington D.C., found it on Craigslist. it was a red/tan '96 NSX-T with 56k miles. flew there, had it checked out and made plans to purchase it, but the seller changed his mind when I was at my bank about to transfer funds. he was asking $38,000.

about 6 months later I found another red/tan '96 NSX-T on Craigslist. I found it the morning it popped up and flew to Denver, CO the next day to look at it and check it out. It had 40k miles and was in perfect condition, so I bought it for $40,000

it took me almost 2 years to finally purchase a clean, stock red NSX with a manual transmission.

I kept that car about 3 or more years and sold it for a profit with almost 30,000 more miles on it, as I wanted to get a 2002 to 2005. it took me almost 6 months to find another NSX that I wanted. I was originally looking for a red/tan again, but couldn't find one. the 2002+ are a lot more scarce than the 1991 to 2001 models. I was looking in all the usual places and I remembered seeing an "Imola orange" for sale on Prime and on autotrader in the recent past, so I asked a few guys on Prime if anyone remembered the car and I was pointed in the right direction of the owner. turned out it was in Denver, CO. exactly where I had purchased my first NSX. long story short, I flew there, had it checked out at the exact same dealership in Boulder by the exact same technician who PPIed my '96 and made arrangements with the seller to purchase the car minus the dollar amount of maintenance stuff it needed done.

my current NSX came through Prime, and both of my cars were bought in the Denver/Boulder area and checked out at Flat Irons Acura. the red '96 I shipped to Florida, and the '02 Imola I drove to California...

I looked at the the places you are looking. When I found my car on prime, I jumped on it. By the weekend, I rented a car and drove to Savannah, Ga. with cash in hand and drove her home. The previous owner told me after he agreed on a price with me, he had several other people offering more within a day. So, if you find something you like, don't hesitate.

Prime. For the most part, Prime is the best place since we know those cars. Regardless, a good PPI must be done prior to any purchase. Good luck on your search, it took me more than a year. Don't get stress out on the search for the perfect car, it's all worth it at the end and please enjoy the process. I love every minute of it!

Frankie

Search Tempest. One owner car from the Pittsburgh PA suburbs

Got mine on Prime. Great previous owner in Dallas area. Full documented ownership and service history. 78K miles. Add from 2010 still on prime...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/141171-91-Berlina-ivory-78k-jh4na1152mt000765-Dallas-TX

Great car but I had the timing belt and water pump replaced before I flew out to pick it up and drive it home. Since then, took care of niggling maintenance issues like all 24 coolant hoses, CCU, windows, etc. The usual stuff. Car now has 86000 miles and is back much closer to stock. Just drove to Orlando and back, about 1K round trip with no issues. So I guess I'll change the oil again this weekend.

Car might be for sale soon as I just don't get to drive it very often.

Agree to all. The key is flexibility. On one side of the spectrum if you absolutely must have a low mileage bone stock '05 LBBP, be prepared to wait. On the other side if you're open to a 91-92 with a few miles then your options increase 20 fold. In 2010 I jumped on a red '91 on ebay motors from a dealer in Houston that needed a little TLC. My search ended in two weeks because I really wanted an NSX and was willing to adjust my sights. No regrets.

Last edited:
Prime. You have to stay glued to pretty much every site (ebay, autotrader, prime, etc.) so that you can hopefully be the first one in line to contact the seller. I lucked out and found one about 4 hours away that met all my criteria.

Got mine on Prime. Great previous owner in Dallas area. Full documented ownership and service history. 78K miles. Add from 2010 still on prime...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/141171-91-Berlina-ivory-78k-jh4na1152mt000765-Dallas-TX

Great car but I had the timing belt and water pump replaced before I flew out to pick it up and drive it home. Since then, took care of niggling maintenance issues like all 24 coolant hoses, CCU, windows, etc. The usual stuff. Car now has 86000 miles and is back much closer to stock. Just drove to Orlando and back, about 1K round trip with no issues. So I guess I'll change the oil again this weekend.

Car might be for sale soon as I just don't get to drive it very often.

I remember that listing. I moved to Dallas in late 2009 for a job and had to look out of curiosity. I couldn't afford it then, but it was a pretty good deal. There are quite a few NSX'x in Dallas, just not many for sale.

A good friend imported the car from Florida. I told him if he ever decided to sell it, to give me first shot, and he did. He's in line to get one of the first new ones. Maybe he'll sell me that one down the road! He certainly is easy on gear, so his vehicles are just like new. I wish his wife would sell me her Imola orange S2000 that she hardly drives. Very rare car.

Last edited:
Saw mine on cars.com back in 06 and overlooked it a few times because I figured there was no way the price was as low as it was for the low mileage it had. The ad had no photos. After a month or so I called. Almost 9 years later here I am.

Saw mine on cars.com back in 06 and overlooked it a few times because I figured there was no way the price was as low as it was for the low mileage it had. The ad had no photos. After a month or so I called. Almost 9 years later here I am.

Don't leave us hanging blodi. How much and what mileage?

Don't leave us hanging blodi. How much and what mileage?

The car had 29K at the time and I paid $30,500..which was the asking price. I however requested for the tb/wp be done before I picked it up at the sellers expense since it had never been done to that point. At the time similar cars were asking 35-40K. Not sure how that compares to today's market.

Helofa deal, blodi. Current value for a similar car would depend on the model year but even a 91 with no flaws would START at 40-45K with fresh TB/WP. Dealers would likely be looking mid-50s and up. Mostly up.

What a steal. Sure wish I could find a deal even close to that. The other little factor is the cost of travel to purchase the car. I know it is part of the experience, so it is not much a concern, but it does add to the cost of buying it. I assume none of you have any regrets of flying across the country and road tripping back home?

I was waking in Annapolis, crossed a bridge near the harbor, and found my NSX, unloved and languishing, on a used car lot. It was love at first sight...will all the issues that can entail thereafter. But...I have never regretted my decision for a single second.

True, it was a few hundred bucks for the flight out there. But I was fortunate to have family to stay with at each of our stops on the way back home so lodging was free.

I'd love to do it all again.

I too found mine on Prime. I looked EVERYWHERE and ultimately lucked out because it was casually mentioned that it was for sale and an official for sale ad hadn't been made yet. Boy I couldn't have been happier by the way things turned out! I too had to fly cross country and ship it back but luckily I was able to negotiate all of that into the purchase price.

Purchased my 91 from Autotrader ad - went back and forth with seller for a week or two and after multiple conversations made a deal over the phone, sight unseen. Just got a real comfortable feeling that I was dealing with a good and honest man. Had him do the TB / WP prior to my picking it up (Charlotte NC) and went down and drove it home. The car was in every way as described and promised.
While just looking around on Autotrader again one day, I saw a 2001 original owner with 11K miles on it - contacted the owner and again formed a nice relationship over the phone. After more contact, pics and videos of the car, we made a deal over the phone. After that he received more offers for the car, above our agreed upon price, but he honored our deal. Had an enclosed truck deliver it, and again, all was perfect.

Met a Corvette collector last week, and he commented on my NSX; "I don't think I've ever seen one" (and this guy is around 60) --- made me realize really how rare these are (especially around here) - so it can be expected to take some time and effort looking for the right one. I feel fortunate on both that I've owned.

Back