• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to buy OEM battery?

Why would you want to go back to an old lead acid battery type when you had an Optima? The gel style battery should be a lot better at vibrations and other extremes faced with the NSX, so I'm curious as to why the change back to a battery which could cause your terminals to corrode and have to be maintained.

:frown:

ATERPAK said:
Why would you want to go back to an old lead acid battery type when you had an Optima? The gel style battery should be a lot better at vibrations and other extremes faced with the NSX, so I'm curious as to why the change back to a battery which could cause your terminals to corrode and have to be maintained.

Optima is not a gel battery, it is a spiral cell sealed lead acid battery. There are a growing number of people that would never go back to Optima batteries because of the problems they've had with their batteries. They are on my list of batteries to stay away from. Seeing a bunch of dead Optimas at a high end audio shop and listening to the shop's long list of complaints changed my opinion on them forever.

The Interstate OEM battery is a fine battery. If you want to really upgrade the battery, go to a dry cell like the one on this thread. Going from the OEM to an Optima isn't really an upgrade IMO.

I picked mine up from the local Honda Dealership at $59.95 a few years back.

Well I guess you would call it a wet cell. I've had mine for over 4 years now and so far so good. It seems to be holding up well and I've had it discharged pretty low with it still turning the car over. I also use a trickle charger on it when I don't drive the car for awhile. We'll just cross our fingers and hope it holds on for a few more years.

If you're looking for a conventional battery, you can shop at all the usual places, including Sears, auto parts stores, etc. Try Sam's Club or Costco for low prices.

I believe batteries are designated with a "group size". The group size specifies the physical dimensions of the battery and the location of the terminals. Look for a group size 35 battery for the NSX.

I wouldn't go back to the OEM battery either. Recently, I replaced my Red Top Optima battery with this one:

D34/78Y Optima Yellow Top D34/78 Sealed Automotive Deep Cycle Performance Battery

The Deep Cycle battery allows you to completely discharge the battery and recharge it to 80% capacity multiple times. However, it is more expensive. You could probably pick this one up for about ~ $150-160. I got mine at lowcostbatteries.com. But I'm sure there are other places like your local Sears that carry it for a cheaper price.

I've had it for about 2 months now. Starts instantly everytime. I also would recommend that you attach a battery tender if your battery is susceptible to draining constantly. I have this problem on my NSX since I have a couple of more gauges on my A-pillar (boost gauge & Air/Fuel ratio) that draw more power even when the engine is off.

ATERPAK said:
We'll just cross our fingers and hope it holds on for a few more years.

Yeah it's one of those hit or miss scenarios. Some people have really good experiences and swear by them, others do not and curse them. There is a strong anti-Optima sentiment in auto sound competition from big name teams such as Image Dynamics. I have the Exide Orbital rebadged as a Lightning Audio battery. It looks cooler, it's sealed, spiral cell technology, and the warranty is better than the Optima. If you buy it with the Exide badge, it's just a tad cheaper than the Optima. My impressions so far are mixed, I had it discharge and not take to charging again. Then by some miracle, after I ran a desulfization charge on it with a Vector charger it's been running like a champ. I paid $150 for it and other than the fact it's sealed, I probably would have saved a few bucks buying the 2 year $50 battery from Wally World and been good for the next 6 years at least. Once I spent $250 dealer cost buying a recombinant gas battery (the kind they use in the stealth bomber) that retailed for $500. That thing lasted about a year, what a complete waste of money.

It's hard to beat that old plate technology for value and reliability. I think keeping your battery on a maintainer type charger is also a good way to improve the life.

allcoupedup said:
I replaced my Red Top Optima battery with this one:

D34/78Y Optima Yellow Top
They sell Optima batteries (both red top and yellow top) at Sam's and Costco, too...

I thought the OEM battery was made by Panasonic as stated in the FAQ here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Accessories/batteries.htm

But after reading your comments, I now lean toward gel batteries. I'm considering the Odyssey PC925MJ and the PC1200MJT as they are both group size 35. Will they really fit with the OEM bracket?

Oh and I got the Deltran battery tender from Batterymart.com for a good price. Thumbs up to Malibu Rapper for the write-up on that. :thumbup:

allcoupedup said:
The Deep Cycle battery allows you to completely discharge the battery and recharge it to 80% capacity multiple times.
Don't bank on it - if you go below 10.5V kiss it goodbye.
Waht they're actually saying is you can discharge it to 80% level and recover - not what you are suggesting.

temp said:
I'm considering the Odyssey PC925MJ and the PC1200MJT as they are both group size 35.
Excellent choices. Note that you dont want the straight MJ - you need a "T" version with the SAE terminals. MJ (Metal Jacket) is great if you are in freezing consitions - I got regular case myself. So T or MJT model. You can buy SAE posts as add-on accessory if necessary.

I got great deal on mine at Portable Power - even though it said 2-3 weeks delivery I had mine in 3 days!

D'Ecosse said:
Don't bank on it - if you go below 10.5V kiss it goodbye.
Waht they're actually saying is you can discharge it to 80% level and recover - not what you are suggesting.

Oops. I mistyped that one folks. My original message was a little misleading (Thanks D'Ecrosse). I meant to type "
The Deep Cycle battery allows you to completely discharge it to 80% and recharge it to capacity multiple times." And I'm sure that over time that capacity window gets smaller and smaller. My original battery (Red Top Optima) was only charging to ~10.8V and it hardly had enough cranking power. That's when I threw in the towel and got a new one.
I guess experience will tell if I can "bank on it" with this new battery.

I recently bought a Sears Diehard Gold with 36 month full warranty and 100 month prorated warranty. It is the OEM Group 35 and small. Price was $86.99 less $7.00 core trade-in for a total of $80.51. Local tax applies.

I have used Diehard replacement batteries for decades without any disappointment. I swear by them. I trust Sears with most installations but not with my NSX (alarm, spare tire, bracket, etc.).

Back