• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to search for entry level chemical engineering jobs (other than the usual)

My step son recently graduated with honors with a chemical engineering degree from Michigan State University. He has been applying to everything he can find on indeed.com, craigslist, and the career pages of the top chemical companies. The responses have been sparse. He's had a few phone interviews, but they were with HR and not the actual people he'd be working for, which is a shame since his engineering skills are probably more impressive than his soft skills. He's been working with a general recruiter to try to improve his resume and interview skills.

Any ideas on where else to search, or advice on how to get his resume seen by people other than HR?

Thanks

Last edited:
Did he look into the petrochemical industry?

In the past I would have also suggested the nuclear power plant industry, but that's a dying one at the moment.

If he hasn't looked there already, Dow Chemical is based in Midland, MI - might be worth a look since it's not too far from Michigan State.

I realize this post is now four years old, but for any recent grad your school's alumni association is usually a good place to start. Some departments (chemical engineering, for example) may also have good connections particularly for internship programs. The key is to get a foot in the door and to be able to demonstrate those hard skills plus things like showing up on time, persisting in solving hard problems, etc. All candidates who are recent grads look pretty much the same on paper, and of course most 21 year-olds are not experts at interviewing.

Back