• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy Johnson & Jack Roush Jr. WIN - Koni Challenge - MMP

Billy Johnson and Jack Roush Jr. win at Miller Motorsports Park with a last-lap pass in the #61 Roush Racing Mustang.

Video Interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCcSf_QAWww&feature=player_embedded

61car.jpg

HS6R5287.jpg

Johnson, Roush Garner Last Lap Victory In Salt Lake City 200

TOOELE, Utah (Sept. 18, 2009) - In a seesaw battle with the defending race winning driver and team Friday at Miller Motorsports Park, Billy Johnson passed Bill Auberlen for the final time in Turn 1 of Lap 46 - the final lap of the two-and-a-half hour Salt Lake City 200 (SPEED, 1:30 p.m. ET, Oct. 3) - and held off the 2008 winner by 1.095 seconds to earn his second Grand Sport (GS) victory of 2009 and the first ever for co-driver Jack Roush Jr.

Johnson, who joined the Horsepower Ranch team in June at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, regained the lead with an inside pass of Auberlen, kept Auberlen at bay for the first-ever win for Horsepower Ranch. Johnson also won in March at Homestead-Miami Speedway, driving for Motorsport Technology Group.

The race, which started under bright skies and in 80-degree temperatures, ended in near pitch-black conditions - albeit the 30-plus headlights navigating the 4.486-mile course and flashes of lightning south of the track.

Johnson originally took the lead on Lap 31 from Dean Martin and led seven laps before Auberlen took the lead and held it at the line on Lap 38. Johnson put the No. 61 Valvoline/Roush Ford Mustang GT back out in front on Lap 39 on the front straightaway, and the two ran nose-to-tail for the next three circuits. On Lap 42, however, Auberlen slipped off the track momentarily, allowing Johnson to distance himself for about a lap.

It didn't last long, however. Auberlen regained his composure and, on Lap 45, blasted past Johnson - who slipped off-line - for what he was hoping for his second consecutive victory and fourth straight for Turner Motorsport, which had won every GS race at Miller prior to Friday. But Johnson fought back, and drag-raced Auberlen all the way into Turn 1, where he took over the lead once again. Auberlen dogged him around the track, but couldn't get past, instead giving himself and co-driver Matt Bell a second-place finish in the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3.

"The last few laps - how about the last 30 laps!" said Johnson, who has four ST victories to go along with his two GS wins this season. "I love racing in the dark. It's awesome to have that opportunity in the KONI Challenge. Definitely having Bill Auberlen in your mirrors is not the easiest thing, especially with the blinding lights. We went back and forth I don't know how many times. It was back and forth. Neither of us could see the road. It was a rough battle at the end - definitely good, hard racing. I was able to come out on top, and can't thank everyone at Roush enough."

Added Roush after the car's third consecutive podium finish: "Man, I was sweating bullets. That was awesome. Billy did a great job. I can't be more proud of our No. 61 Roush Valvoline Mustang. I had plenty of battles during my turn, too. I was battling a little bit of a push. I knew that was going to happen, because the fuel tank was full. It was a blast out there. I rarely want to give the car up, but it was hot in there and I think I have a few blisters."

Auberlen rejoined Bell after missing the team's last race, a victory in the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières last month in Quebec.
"He had the strength on the straights; I had the strength on the braking, but not enough to make up the difference," Auberlen said of Johnson. "He did a very good job and made no mistakes. One time I got by him and thought I had enough of a gap to get down the straight. To just get down the straight would be good, but he got by me. Oh, well. One time we rubbed, but I need my racing space, too. Matt did a great job - he did exactly what he's supposed to do. The guy's a front-runner every time. Turner Motorsport had won this race every year, so now, this defeat is horrible. But I guess second is okay - we'll take the points and keep on trucking."

Bell moved past Martin into third in the GS standings by one point, while point leader and fifth-place co-finisher Ken Wilden lost two points over James Gue and Bret Seafuse, who earned fourth. Wilden and Seafuse battled for the majority of the opening 22 laps, with Wilden taking the lead on the first lap, and Seafuse moving to second by Lap 6. The pair pitted within a lap of each other, with Martin holding onto the lead after Wilden brought the No. 59 Rehagen Racing Ford Mustang GT into the pits on Lap 25.

The only caution period came out on Lap 27 for debris in Turn 6, and the green flag flew to resume action on Lap 31, the same lap Johnson passed Martin, who had held a 10-plus second lead at the time.
Wilden now has 292 points, while Gue and Seafuse, in the No. 37 Trumansburg ShurSave Ford Mustang GT, have 274 points. A 14th-place finish in the Bosch Engineering Octoberfest Oct. 4 at Virginia International Raceway, regardless of what Gue and Seafuse do, will sew up Wilden's first Grand-Am championship. Bell also has a mathematical shot at the title, but he is still 29 points behind Wilden.

Gaining six positions in the final laps was third-place finisher Joey Hand, the co-winner the 2007 GS race, in the No. 97 Turner Motorsport BMW M3 he shared with Chris Gleason, despite a second pit stop. The pair came from 17th.

Earlier in the afternoon, Dan DiLeo earned the pole position with a time of 3:09.544 (85.202 mph) in the No. 77 Maxwell Paper Products Co. Porsche 997. It was first career pole, and he and co-driver Bryan Sellers went on to finish 10th.

Von Moltke, Sweeney Earn Third ST Victory Of 2009

Dion von Moltke passed teammate Josh Hurley with two laps remaining in the Street Tuner (ST) portion of the race to earn his and co-driver Mike Sweeney's third victory of the 2009 season. Von Moltke and Sweeney drove the No. 181 APR/BBS Volkswagen GTI for APR Motorsport.

The battle for the lead was between the APR cars for much of the event, before Randy Pobst in the No. 74 Skunk2/034 Motorsport Honda Civic Si and Tom Long in the No. 145 Mazda/Freedom Autosport Mazda MX-5 joined during the final half hour. The four drivers went four-wide at one point and Pobst and Long staged a war for the third position, reminiscent of their battle for the lead in March at Homestead.

However, no team other than APR led a lap in ST. Polesitter Ian Baas led the opening 20 laps in the No. 171 APR/Gunther VW Volkswagen GTI before pitting and giving Sweeney the lead for two laps. Hurley picked up the lead on Lap 23 and held on until von Moltke made the winning pass, which came in near pitch-black conditions.

"I'm not too sure what happened, actually," von Moltke said. "Tom Long got a little crazy on the last few laps and he and Josh had a big contact. For a long time, Josh kept in front of me. I knew that I was a little quicker the whole race but I could never get it done because it's so hard to overtake. He slowed up just enough to let me by. It was a clean move and it ended up being great. The night is my favorite time to race. I absolutely love it. It's kind of my deal. I guess it's kind of bittersweet but I'm really glad to get on P1 with Mike Sweeney. He drove an excellent first stint."

The second-place run for Baas and Hurley - who is on the verge of winning Rookie of the Year honors in KONI Challenge competition - vaulted the duo into second in the championship standings, now 27 points (286-259) behind leader Christian Miller, who co-drove with Pobst.

"We don't like to see races end this way but either way, both of the cars came home and that's what matters," said Miller, who only needs a 26th-place finish at VIR to wrap up an ST championship. "Both drivers are safe. It does do us good for points. I want my drivers safe and happy."

Added Baas: "We finished in front of the people we're fighting for the championship right now and I'm really excited for having a one-two for APR."

Subaru Road Racing Team co-drivers Kristian Skavnes and Andrew Aquilante dropped to third in points with a seventh-place finish in the No. 111 Subaru of America Subaru Legacy. The two are 31 points behind Miller after entering the race 25 points behind.

Fourth were Long and Derek Whitis, while Ford Racing Mustang Challenge regulars Rick Edwards and Ted Anthony Jr. finished fifth in the No. 76 Skunk2/Hondata Honda Civic Si.

The final race of the 2009 season is the Bosch Engineering Octoberfest, a four-hour combined race Sunday, Oct. 4, at the 3.27-mile Virginia International Raceway.

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?cid=23830

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mo...article&sid=119704&newlang=&topic=24&catid=10

http://blog.roushperformance.com/bl...nges-salt-lake-city-200-at-miller-motors.html

Congrats BJ!

Pretty funny how it sounds like your posting in 3rd person....hehe

Keep up the good work man and maybe you can post all your future race dates, so some of us can come out and watch you race.

Congrats BJ!

Pretty funny how it sounds like your posting in 3rd person....hehe

Keep up the good work man and maybe you can post all your future race dates, so some of us can come out and watch you race.
Thanks man!

I didn't write that, it was the press release that was on all of those websites recapping the race.

We only have one more race at VIR in Virginia October 3-7th.

Is it going to be televised? I would like to tivo it.....good luck man.....are you guys in the top 3?

Is it going to be televised? I would like to tivo it.....good luck man.....are you guys in the top 3?
I'm not sure where we are in points right now. I don't think we are that far up but the team/car might be (for the team championship).

The Grand Am Koni Challenge Race from Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake City, Utah will air on SPEED Channel:

October 3rd, 1:30pm ET

October 4th, 3:00am ET

This is definitely one to Tivo!

-Billy

"Epic battle". Okay, I'm in.
Yes, EPIC. I have had at least 5 people on separate occasions use that word to describe it. It was definitely exciting from my standpoint, I hope you feel the same when you watch it!

Congrats! What did you think of the track? Wish I knew you were out here. I would've gone.

Congrats! What did you think of the track? Wish I knew you were out here. I would've gone.
I really like MMP. All 4.5 miles of the long track. I finished 3rd there last year also in a Mustang (different team and co-driver) and was happy to be with Roush Racing for their first Koni Challenge win.

Catch it on SPEED on Oct. 3rd.

Sooo I'm watching I think the speed channel not paying to much attention since I'm working out and after that was cooking some food. Then heard a name "Billy Johnson". I thought to myself, is there more than 1 Billy Johnson that races? So I came onto prime and sure enough, it's the same dude.

Good luck Billy

Stephen

Ditto. Finally saw the race which was quite impressive and congrats, especially if you can keep Auberlen in a Tuner BMW behind you.

And the glow from the hot rotors was amazing! Some had all four glowing others only the fronts! Brake balance?

Re: A battle of 2 Billys

Beating Bill Auberlen; oh yes, that must've been very satisfying. :cool:

An a quite impressive way to win. In the pitch black, with headlights in your mirrors and in your face from cars on other parts of the track. And dust from cars going off. Getting pushed out by Auberlen in a less than clean pass. Outbraking him on the front straight and finally, holding him off as a lapper complicates everything. :eek: That drive will pay dividends.

If anyone missed it, it will be on again tomorrow at noon, PDT.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

HRant: The BMW's have very large rear rotors from the factory and a programmable racing ABS system. The footage from the race shows this well since the BMW's brakes were not as bright as the Mustang, while both fronts and rears glowed similarly and dissipated quickly. On the other hand, the Mustang's front brakes were bright yellow, never really cooled off even on the straights, with no color from the rear rotors. Mustangs have to use the stock Ford ABS system and the tiny rear rotors that come on Mustangs. -an even greater testament to our Performance Friction Brakes (PFC) and 01 compound PFC pads.

Great finish on a very competitive race. The night part of the race was pretty exciting to watch in both the GS and ST classes.

Best of luck to all the teams heading to VIR, it's good to know that the sport is doing relatively ok even with the downturn of the economy.

An epic racing battle says as much about the professionalism of the combatants as it does about the battle for not punting each other off...nice work by both of you.

Back