• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Where's the OEM sub amp?

Speaker amps are in the doors.... where does the OEM sub amp live?

Cool, good to know.

On another note: Does anyone know of a standalone AM/FM tuner with a small wired remote? Don't need HD radio or sat.

Trying to build a headless system around one of these "System controllers" like the Alpine PXA-H800 or the Audison bit one. In the case of the Alpine there is an HD FM/AM receiver that supposedly plugs in over AI-net, but I'm skeptical of the thing's ability to control it without a head unit connected.

I see you still haven't given up. LOL...

Why don't you find out from alpine if the tuner is controllable from the 800's controller? You can pull the tuners owners manual from the site, but I didnt see anything mentioned in the 800's manual or the controller's about tuner control.

I kind of see a need for a tuner but I also kind of don't. First of all, you can pull just about any station off your phone via something like iheart radio. Which is what I use. That's for the rare times you listen to radio.

What are your system plans now? Between the 800 and the bit one I think the alpine is more appropriate for this car.

Last edited:
What are your system plans now? Between the 800 and the bit one I think the alpine is more appropriate for this car.

Truth be told, I went by the Tesla showroom and looked inside the Model S.

tesla-model-s-interior-screen.jpeg

That humongous touchscreen is so damn cool, I thought about how to put an iPad in the NSX.

Started gathering some ideas over on my personal wiki:

http://miazmatic.com/wiki/index.php/NSX_iPad_Install

I figured since the iPad would take up all the space where the head unit sits in the OEM configuration, the functionality of the head unit would have to move elsewhere, but all you really want a head unit to do in that scenario is source selection and volume control - so either of the little outboard control boxes for those processors would be perfect for mounting further down the center console behind the shifter, sort of like the i-Drive knob in BMWs.

I know, it's probably overkill for this car, but I plan for the NSX to be my only car and I am both an audio nerd and a technology tweaker (see my sig!).

iPad seems the easiest way to get a Tesla-like setup without going full carputer (which I have done before and do NOT want to do again)

I don't think you can fit an ipad in the NSX. Search, its already been looked at. What I am doing in my car is removing the head unit, installing a custom blank plate that will also hold/charge my iphone. It's light, I can take it out and with the targa off not worry about theft, and I am not hacking up the car. It does pretty much everything an ipad would do.

What I am doing in my car is removing the head unit, installing a custom blank plate that will also hold/charge my iphone. It's light, I can take it out and with the targa off not worry about theft, and I am not hacking up the car.

Makes sense. I figured I would locate the dock connector such that any recent piece of iStuff could be connected - all my music is on an iPod classic, the phone has Siri so you can talk to it while driving without looking down, and there are great nav apps for the 3G/4G iPads.

Definitely going to avoid hacking up the car though - all slicing and dicing will be done on aftermarket replacement bits with the OEM gear safely squirreled away in case I ever decide to put it back.

Makes sense. I figured I would locate the dock connector such that any recent piece of iStuff could be connected - all my music is on an iPod classic, the phone has Siri so you can talk to it while driving without looking down, and there are great nav apps for the 3G/4G iPads.

Definitely going to avoid hacking up the car though - all slicing and dicing will be done on aftermarket replacement bits with the OEM gear safely squirreled away in case I ever decide to put it back.

I'm telling you that's not gonna happen. Unless you plan on buying an entire new dash and cutting the car up anyway... an ipad won't fit. Even if you make a fully custom center console, you'd have to hack up the car to get it to fit behind all the panels. You are just going to have to can that idea. There is no point anyway. You won't get more functionality than the phone gives you.

You can have a phone based system and be fully stealth... which has value on its own. That tesla panel is doing a lot of controls on the car. There is no way you can make that happen in an NSX.

Last edited:
And you know that tesla dash reminds me of when the philips pronto and all these full touchscreen remotes came out and everyone was excited. They were cool. But to use? There really is no substitute for hard buttons. That thing has a glitch and suddenly you can't change temperature... that would suck.

You can have a phone based system and be fully stealth... which has value on its own. That tesla panel is doing a lot of controls on the car. There is no way you can make that happen in an NSX.

I mean, there is, but it would involve writing a lot of custom code and creating a lot of custom electronics - at which point you might as well use a proper carputer instead of an iPad, and that is a painful road that I am NOT going down again. Learned that lesson with my Toyota. Must not repeat mistake :mad:

There is a way to have a bluetooth system trigger Siri, so maybe I will install one of those.

FYI, siri is pretty useless in my NSX with my exhaust system. With the targa off, forget it.

You don't need it anyway. If you are fiddling too much with electronics, you are in the wrong car.

I am an audiophile like you (well, a jaded one), my work is in this field, and my purpose was to come up with something LIGHT, to remove weight from the car not to add, and to have it sound great and be functional. That was challenging.

I am an audiophile like you (well, a jaded one), my work is in this field, and my purpose was to come up with something LIGHT, to remove weight from the car not to add, and to have it sound great and be functional. That was challenging.

Looking forward to reading that thread once it's all ready.

And yes, it's difficult to balance the specific constraints of the NSX with 1) my general audiophilia/gear lust 2) the exotic status of the NSX and my desire to keep it forever as a rationalization for overspending on excessive bling

Once I actually start driving the car (counting down the days...) my priorities will likely shift considerably but to pass the time I'm doing what I'm good at, which is sketching complex systems in my head :smile:

Back