• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

which odyssey battery? 680 or 925?

Looking to replace the battery in my nsx with a lighter one. I really like the odyssey 680 due to it's small size and light weight. Wondering if it is too small for the nsx, also considering the 925. please let me know your experience with either so i can decide. thanks

Ive got the 680 and personally I wish I had a larger battery. It was a PITA to install as I had to remove the battery tray to drill in the mounting hardware, and while I recognize that my car has wicked parasitic drain because of tracking stuff, I cant leave it for much more than 2 days before its dead.

If I were to do it all over, Id probably give one of those micro batteries a shot based upon ease of install, or Id go with a full size that will fit in the stock set up but provide way more cranks than OEM.

just my $0.02

My 680 runs fine with a battery charger.

Bigger stereo, aftermarket stuff that drains the battery and you'd better stay stock.

I've had the 925's for over a decade, I can sit for about three weeks, the numbers on the 680 are too low. Be sure to get the optimizer charger. I bought the big one and don't trickle during the season. If it goes dead, the big charger will bring it up to driving range in about ten minutes. I have had some issues with the charger though, but it's probably the best game in town

I've had the 925's for over a decade
I recently bought a replacement 925 although the 925 I had was still going strong after ten years. Now I'm sorry I replaced it; for all I know it could have gone for years longer, but I just did it as a preventive measure. Anyway, no problems with the 925, although I keep a charger on it whenever the car sits for more than a week.

You have a battery tender, so perhaps less of an issue, but when I had a 680 (perhaps I had a bad one), I had difficulty starting the car after a few days - I went back to a "normal" battery, but would consider the larger odyssey, the PC925, if you were set on this series of battery.

I have a 680 on my daily-driver. No problems after 1.5 years, but I have no stereo system or extra high-current draw devices.

I have left it parked in the garage before with the alarm on for a good 2 weeks while on vacation. Started right up when I got back.

OK, looks like i'll get the 925. Next question, for those that are using it can you let me know how you are mounting it. I've looked at a couple billet mounts, like to see what you guys have come up with. PICS would be great and i'll share what i do.

I've got the PC545. it weighs 12lbs which is 23lbs lighter than OEM.
Aftermarket AVIC-Z1 & Clifford alarm.
No problems

Used to have the Odysse 680 for a while, but my Clifford alarm would constantly drain it completely in only 3-4 days so I finally went back to the (heavy) OEM battery.
Would like to find a lighter battery but one with which I could leave the car for a couple of weeks with no problems. Still looking out for options.

I've been pleased with my 925 and Dali tray.

battery_2.jpg

battery.jpg

I have a 680 for almost 2 years now, and so far no issues. I have the stock stereo system.

odyssey charger and misc

While I've got several Odyssey folks here: I think Ken stated awhile back that he has not used a charger/tender that was designed for the Odyssey, as the Odyssey engineers literally ripped me one once when I told them that I used a regular tender "once". They will not honor their warranty if they know(but of course how will they know). Ken, is that correct? are you other folks using "regular" chargers also? FYI, I only saved 7.1 lbs over my OEM battery. I'm very happy with the 925 design. I did speak with the actual inventor of this battery at a performance racing products show about the smallest unit I could go with. He recommended the precursor to the 925 (the black panther 850 I think). One of the issues is that IF you would lose charging ability on the highway, the more capacity the better your chance of getting home.

Hmm how odd I have the 545MJ with the Dali battery holder and love it. I also have the SOS sound system ( stage 2 ) and a Navi with no drain problems. Of course I only listen to the radio when the car is on so no drain there. Only time it dies is when I forget to start it during the winter. Other than that no problems. Install was easy as well.

What is the weight savings if i do switch to a lighter battery, and do i need to corner balance my car again if i do switch to a light weight battery?

Hmm how odd I have the 545MJ with the Dali battery holder and love it.
A note about the Odyssey model numbers. For example, you can get a PC925, PC925T, PC925MJ, and PC925MJT. The versions with the MJ in the model number have the battery encased in a metal jacket; this is designed for cars where the battery is located right next to heat-creating components, like the exhaust piping. You don't need the metal jacket for the normal location of the NSX battery.

The T at the end refers to batteries that come with terminal posts.

Ken stated awhile back that he has not used a charger/tender that was designed for the Odyssey, as the Odyssey engineers literally ripped me one once when I told them that I used a regular tender "once". They will not honor their warranty if they know(but of course how will they know). Ken, is that correct?
Yes. I've been using a conventional automatic battery charger (automatic meaning that it shuts off once the battery is fully charged) on my Odyssey batteries for the past eleven years with no problems whatsoever.

What is the weight savings if i do switch to a lighter battery, and do i need to corner balance my car again if i do switch to a light weight battery?
Odyssey battery weights are shown on the website for Portable Power, which has great prices on them too.

Back