• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which shocks should I get to go with H&R Springs?

Well I just bought Chris's last set of H&R springs. I am basically noticing that some like the H&R's and some like the Eibach's....I guess I'll see how I like the H&R's. Now what shocks would you recommend. I have a 98 NSX-T with 35K in mileage. I am lowering the car for looks and for better handling, but I don't want a really hard ride. I'm used to the ride in the S2000, so I really don't want to go any stiffer than that. Please let me now what shocks would be a good fit with the H&R springs, or could I still use the stock shocks.

Also could anyone recommend a good place to have the car aligned here in the Washington D.C. area.

TIA

I bought H&R + Bilstein first, and was very unhappy. Although you will see people listing Bilstein Sport shocks for the NSX, the truth is they are NOT the "Sport" line which has a very specific meaning from Bilstein. They are in fact the HD line, which in spite of meaning "Heavy Duty" are intended as an OEM equivalent replacement. Don't take my word for it, check their web site and give them a call. The do not make the Sport line for the NSX.

So, why does that matter? Because the linear rate H&R (which I prefer to a progressive rate) is too stiff for the shock. What you get is best described as a Pogo effect over bumps, especially successive ones. Visualize a high payload truck without the payload. The term is under-damped, or over-sprung if you prefer. Once your spring rate is set, you need to get damping rates that match.

After a few days I ordered the Konis, and now all is well. They can be adjusted (rebound only) to feel as soft as the Bilstiens, but you can tighten them up to kill the Pogo, and tighten the further for smooth track days.

People will soon be chiming in to say they are TOO STIFF. Baloney, as I said, they can be anywhere from too soft to too stiff, your choice and only seconds to adjust.

Historically, I have always hated Koni for lot's of reasons, but for this application they are the best match to H&R springs. I tried both back-back.

Back