• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which wheels do you use for the track?

I have volk LE37T's in 18's and 19's. Not the ideal setup for the track. What should I get for the track? I just sold my oem 15's and 16's so that option is out.

I use the OEM 15"/16" wheels for the track, with the stock '91-93 size R compounds (currently using Toyo RA-1, and most R comps are available in those sizes). You can get another set for cheap (like $200 for the set).

One advantage of using those sizes (in addition to great R comp tire availability) is that you can fit your track tires inside the car, and drive to the track on your street tires before swapping. Also the tires are relatively inexpensive.

as long as you were not upgrading to BBK, 15/16 is the best if you live in a cool area. (performance/cost), but since you are in CA, you will soon need a BBK to track as it tends to overheat, so maybe getting a set of 17/17 that would clear BBK would be your best bet.

If you not planning to track a whole lot nor you are in advance group of HPDE, I'm afraid you might want to look into getting an inexpensive set of 15/16 back. (If you care about cost and efficiency.) Oh you could transport 15/16 setup to track with your nsx. I don't think any wider setup will. I have a harness bar and the FAQ suggestion won't work. but 2 front a one rear stacked "just" fit in with some seat adjustments.

I have just bought my second NSX (white 92) to make into a race car! I am considering those 5Zigen FN-01RC wheels Dali Racing sells in the 17x8 and 18x9.5 because they are light, attractive and reasonably priced...Anyone have any feedback on wheel orders from Daliracing and any experience with these wheels with maybe Toyo RA-1's? I am also planning on upgrading to Comptech four wheel Powertech 13" big brake kit later..Will they fit behind these wheels?
Thanks

I have that set of wheels and I have been running them on the track with street tires. They are a good looking inexpensive wheel, however if you have enough bucks to buy a track only NSX I would pick something else. If you do decide to get those wheels--Dali Racing seems like a good place to buy from.

I like the SSR Competition wheels, I would get a set of those in 17" all around if I had a trailer. I'm not sure if those will clear that particular BBK.

I just purchased a set of 91 - 93 OEM 15/16 and plan to run R-Compound rubber on them after I get some more experience with the NSX on the track.

VintageracerNYC said:
I have just bought my second NSX (white 92) to make into a race car! I am considering those 5Zigen FN-01RC wheels Dali Racing sells in the 17x8 and 18x9.5 because they are light, attractive and reasonably priced...Anyone have any feedback on wheel orders from Daliracing and any experience with these wheels with maybe Toyo RA-1's? I am also planning on upgrading to Comptech four wheel Powertech 13" big brake kit later..Will they fit behind these wheels?
Thanks

Haha.. as a side note I am the guy that purchased Simons 15/16" wheels.

Simon, did you get the bug to take the NSX to the track? It is a lot of fun! I would try to hook up with a BMW club or NASA event, they seem to be well organized. Maybe you can still get in on the NSX event Mark is throwing at Spring Mountain in Pahrump.

Hi,

I got those wheels (in 17/17) from Dali a little over a year ago and have put around 20 track days on them with RA-1's. Dali was prompt and quite helpful, and their price seems to be the best. The wheels have been great, although I recently bent one (probably two) of them going off the track into bumpy terrain at 80 mph or so (so pissed, I like NEVER do that :redface:). They've stood up to other abuses but that particular one was extreme. I've ordered replacements which wont arrive before my next event, so I had to repair the really bent rim. The wheel shop managed to get it true again quite nicely (with some weld reinforcing)...we'll see how long it stays straight.

Don't know about the BBK fitting. I would think they would, the fronts are +43 and seem to offer space there.

p.s. I would recommend getting metal hub centering rings (Dali now sells those also) as the nylon ones are really hard to take off after cooked on from track temperatures.

VintageracerNYC said:
Thanks

Back