• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

who actually runs AEM EMS

Anyone having any luck yet? Any specific problems???

Perfect drivability and awesome power in my car....I would say the EMS is working just fine!

It's a complicated management to navagate, but put the system in front of someone with good experience and it is one of the best available. I'd have to say since Jan we have tuned 20 - 25 different EMS cars on the dyno with amazing results - Supra, RX7, Civic, Integra, NSX, Eclipse all work great!

I guess I don't see the big problem except people are scared of what they don't understand.

That is great to hear. Finally someone is having good luck with the EMS. :D If you don't mind me asking what shop do you tune for?

PaynNSX said:
Payn Technologies located in Troy, MI (20 minutes north of Detroit).

If I may ask, what all was done to the car that you tuned and who did all the work besides the obvious AEM work. I find it interesting to see a tuner so close to me here. Compared to California or Arizona at least.

Those are some nice numbers how conservitive is the tune?

sjs said:
Simply not true. Apparently you are not aware that the base configuration had several significant parameters set incorrectly. That cost some of us many precious hours and aggravation. The initial run also had a jumper wire left in which caused problems. An lets not forget that the release was long delayed by tough to solve grounding or interference problems. The NSX model was not just another Honda application, it was a special challenge and may still suffer minor problems.

I’m not knocking the AEM, but your statement insults those who suffered the problems of the first few batches.

IMO, sjs is entirely incorrect and 286 is partly correct. Like the the speedo repair FX incorrectly attributes to SoS (I work, SoS posts), it was a simple jumper in the wrong place. One look at the jumper location sheet (not available to the owners, unfortunately)
and a 'major shortcoming' is knocked down in seconds. v.94 had about 3 or 4 issues like this, v1.03 does not. People on this board are comparing AEM to TEC3 and TECH 2 amd Motec etc, which are entirely different products AND if you think any one of them had zero problems be sure and put that dream with the cookies and milk you leave for Santa on 12/24.

The Q was, who is using it successfully. Well for one, I am. I have tuned only F/I recent installs with them and they are great. Why a co like FX can tune one for Supra's and whatever and not the NSX is a total mystery to me. Cars need fuel and spark in the right quantities and at the correct times. If you can tune one, but not another, then you haven't figured out the secondary and terciary settings. It is a VERY deep box. Analyzing 1.03 IMO, I repeat, IMO, means to me discovering how many of these more difficult settings you have the skill and patience to discover and adjust. 1.03 is mostly a GUI update plus TCS and a new look.

It took me three months, but these past two weeks, I have tuned 4 of my BBSC to fantastic results, and you can SEE them at EXPO. I will write about it after that, unless the owners care to first. I could not have learned it without some expert advise, but I doubt FX or anyone else installed their first Motec (and six sensors) and at the end of the first week were "perfect"

AEM's biggest problem is the shiny blue and yellow box. Most of you should never see them. It is not a product desighned for amatuers. The 8x11 white sheet of paper pasted across the INSIDE of the box says WARNING- Improper use of this product can result in engine damage.

Buy it from the dealer who is going to install it, or buy it for a few bucks less and use it as a paperweight, or blow your engine with it. (paperweight is safer) This product is NOT DIY PnP, it is Pro PnP and adjust and tune on a dyno with proper instrumentation.

Hope to see you all at NSXPO, and then maybe get some sleep.
MB

The AEM EMS should be compared to the MoTeC, TEC, and Pectel. They are playing in the same arena and are really getting traction in the market. We can’t wait to see where they are in the next year. Tuning is far more complex than just added or taking out fuel or spark. If you are just focusing on these issues then you are not taking advantage of all the wonderful options a Stand alone system has to offer. A good tuner will know how to make the most of the money you spent on your engine management. Setting up the base parameters for each vehicle is far more complex then what some may think. As many people know, not all vehicles are built to the same spec:)

This past weekend we had the pleasure of spending a day with one of the lead AEM guys at our facility. We discussed the EMS, our Turbo NSX as well as “other” FI solutions for the NSX. These discussions we very insightful and we thank him for sharing his knowledge and time with us. We are already factory trained but it was great to get some personal attention on the v1.03.

We installed the MoTeC and tuned her with ZERO problems. To be honest though it did not take a week. It took about 2 days once the equipment showed up. It should have been quicker but our Tuner has a donut and Twinkie problem. This may be a bit unfair though because we have installed the MoTeC on several professional racers vehicles.

If anyone would like to discuss these engine management systems in person with people that are factory trained feel free to stop by our booth.

Back