• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who has went from first gen to second gen?

I sold my 96 2 years ago to put a down payment on a house. Found myself wanting another NSX. Well the prices have gone steadily up over the last two years. I loved my car it was one of my favorites however with the discounts being offered on the 17s I find myself seriously considering one. Part of me says screw nostalgia and just go for it another part of me says keep hunting for the right first gen. For those have owned both do you find you miss the first gen at all?

MC

2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz)
1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

i owned my Gen1 for 15yrs before it got totaled four years ago. I bought and sold a few cars since then, but I decided not to get another Gen1 because I wanted to experience other makes and technology. Two weeks ago I got a 2017 NSX and I feel at home with it, just like my Gen1. Driving the Gen2 definitely brings back memories of my 94. The feel of the Gen2 is obviously different, but there is a connection to the Gen1. If you can take advantage of the recent incentives I'd definitely recommend getting one. I'll probably buy mine at the end the three year lease and hopefully keep it as long, if not longer than my Gen1.

I have both cars, get them both if you have the space as they have a different driving feel. Outright speed new car wins. Steering feel/feedback the old car wins. I always get asked what my favorite car is and I just say it's whatever I happen to be driving that day. If you like to play with and mod your car the old car has better support. I have no desire at this time to strip the new car for weight reduction or add what little performance parts are available. best of both worlds get the mclaren mp4-12c (reminds me of the old nsx in the front) if you can handle not being as reliable (I cant so I dont have a mclaren)

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger. Got the 2017 Berlinetta black delivered last night. More on driving impressions later

MC

2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz)
1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

I have both cars, get them both if you have the space as they have a different driving feel. Outright speed new car wins. Steering feel/feedback the old car wins. I always get asked what my favorite car is and I just say it's whatever I happen to be driving that day. If you like to play with and mod your car the old car has better support. I have no desire at this time to strip the new car for weight reduction or add what little performance parts are available. best of both worlds get the mclaren mp4-12c (reminds me of the old nsx in the front) if you can handle not being as reliable (I cant so I dont have a mclaren)

I also have both and totally agree with your assessment of each. Yes similar in some ways, but so different in some others. Having both is like living a fantasy dream. Pick the days' ride based on the days' mood or inner desires. Not interested in Mc so never pursued and I can’t comment. Though anything with questionable/low reliability is of no interest. The '02 Gen 1 is just so connected and neutral. The Gen 2 is just so different (though still quite natural) compared to conventional cars it is hard to put those inner feelings and sensation experiences in words. But I still find I'm feeling connected. However, most notable is how it seems to bend (if not break) the rules of physics so well and convincingly such that you feel guilty for feeling connected when you probably should not. But trying to wipe that grin off in-process is impossible. And as I've indicated in other posts, before I took delivery I thought the 4 driving modes was just more of a marketing gimmick. After over ~ 4.5 kmi in the seat, I've come to really appreciate what flexibility each totally different mode offers at a simple twist. Totally changing you car without changing your seat- while underway no less- is something else. If you want a car for one specific purpose or all out performance, perhaps look elsewhere. If ready for something quite different and much more flexible, look no further.

Before I got my ‘02 NSX (June 16), my favorite ride (power and feel) was my ‘91 300ZX TT. They are now starting to get a following and $’s... but no where near the Gen1 NSX. So cost of a second set of good wheels is more reasonable if budget after a Gen 2 is depleted. I’ve done a number of mods to that Z so it is well above stock in performance now. But Moding was DYI easy and not overly costly. Though again as said, I now prefer the Gen 1 over that Z (most of the time).

Last edited:
Back