• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When does trunk smell go away...

Seriously,

Does anyone have any significant amount of miles on their car yet? Does this smell dissipate after a few thousand miles?

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't stick to ANYTHING you put back there.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 Yukon (zzzzzzz) SCCA tow vehicle

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-Type (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

Try baking soda to soak up smell...:confused:

Almost 2000 miles and still smells like mile 1.

Smelled like my Vette when I first got it.

Like a surfboard.

Yes exactly! My Z06 I bought new in 2008 smelled like this trunk for the first 10,000 miles.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)

I think most of the smell is gone in mine. Kinda forgot about it till seeing this post. I have about 4800+ miles. However, i do something routinely with mine which I do on my Gen 1. I actually started it long ago with my Citroen SM.
High temps and soaking in such is not good and prematurely ages many things.. especially plastics and rubber parts. Something I learned and we dealt with (required shelf and use life replacements) during my nuke plant engineering years. The SM has numerous vulnerable parts (particularly diaphragms in suspension spheres) in the very high heat engine bay.
So once home in garage, I open the engine bay hood/cover so the engine compartment can readily cool off including those more sensitive components. I now realize that I was also airing out the ‘17’s trunk odors vs enabling the smell to soak into the fabrics. Probably why it is fine now.

Once parked in garage, (On ‘17) I use a nail to trick (snap) the latch closed so light is off thinking trunk/hatch is closed. Then use a short piec of wood as a spacer between car and hatch latch parts. (6 - 12” is fine) So the trunk is open for engine and parts cool down, plus area free breathing and not using the struts to keep it full open. Just need to remember to hit trunk open button before securing the trunk when all has cooled off. If forgotten, the non closing trunk will remind you.

Yes exactly! My Z06 I bought new in 2008 smelled like this trunk for the first 10,000 miles.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX

1995 Mazda Miata #02
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)

At least you know it wasn't sitting on the shelf.

Takes awhile for the curing resin smell to vanish, but it does.

However, if the trunk heats up it will return (not as strong).

Outgassing.

Good plan letting things cool off after a good drive Gadgetman. I do the same thing with my 03 pretty much every time it's out. I often open the front hood too for good measure. Been doing the same thing with the S2000 since new.

Back