• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who wants to go for a ride along in the NEW NSX - with Peter Cunningham as pilot!

I believe the date that participants were asked to respect was Oct 28, so the silence embargo has a little more time left on it but is getting very close.

*edit* based on the onslaught of articles about the drive, I think I was incorrect and Oct 26 was the end of the silence date. I might have been thinking about the embargo on NSX photos from japan and the Tokyo auto show

Last edited:
we are now getting lots of new threads on the mags first drives..so cmon you three...

October 10[SUP]th[/SUP], 2015, I win a lottery: One of three select NSXCA members to ride with Peter Cunningham doing hot laps at The Thermal Club (raceway) in the New 2017 Acura NSX. For all those that spent a pile of money on tickets, my $20.00 worth did the job. Great work everyone. The proceeds went to a children’s charity.
The three winners were asked not to publish any opinions about the experience until after the formal press release on the new car. That time has now passed and I can now share what I experienced. (Smile is still on face!)
I had trouble sleeping the night before. I was really wide awake at about 3:30am. I had a lot on my mind. I had a track day where I would be putting my car on the track and I had this ride along in the new NSX about halfway through the day. I do all my own maintenance on my car, and I was thinking stupid things, like “ I hope that new timing belt holds out”,” I hope I have the cooling system bled properly”. “ I hope I don’t blow a hose.” And all that excitement about the new car as well.
Even with little sleep, it turned out to be a GREAT DAY. My old 1991 NSX had a perfect day on the track. And I had a ride with Peter Cunningham to remember.
5:00am: out of bed and get out to the track for 6:00am.
While I was trying to concentrate on my track sessions coming up, that new NSX was parked at the track for everyone to view. (inside and out) How distracting.
A note about my car, (because that is really what I was comparing it against)
1991. 100% stock. With 50,000 miles. No modifications. Exhaust, suspension, everything is stock. Just like the day it was on the showroom floor back in January of 1991. (not a bad comparison, I think)
Three track sessions later in my car, plus one in my instructor’s car, it was time to ride in the 2017 car with Peter Cunningham.
Peter was really gracious and asked how I wanted him to drive. My words “Peter, drive it like you stole it!” This produced a pretty big smile on Peter’s face.
First thing I noticed: The car was easy to get in, even with a helmet on. And once in, my helmet was a long distance from the headliner. This car will accommodate taller people than my 1991 car.
Second thing I noticed: I was in the wrong seat. The passenger seat is not the place to be experiencing a car like this. (I didn’t ask Peter to swap seats)
The seat was really good. Surprisingly, it was not a lot different than my 1991, except the new seats had much more bolstering up near the shoulders which made it much more supportive. I did not slide around in the seat at all. Some thing that bothers me in today’s modern cars, is for safety reasons, headrests today typically lean forward so much that the seat isn’t comfortable. This seat wasn’t like that, even with a helmet on.
I didn’t get to experience a standing start or launch. Speed limit in the pit lane prevented that. Peter initially had the car in Sport+ Mode, then a lap or so later he changed it to Track Mode.
Third thing I noticed: The cabin was really quiet. We had the windows up and the A/C on. Not much of an intake noise like my bone stock 1991. The noise was there, but it seemed fake or reproduced.
Fourth thing I noticed: Because I was driving this track all morning, I initially had trouble deciding what to watch for and take note of. I started watching Peter’s line around the track. I caught myself really studying it. Just a natural reaction, I guess. Then I pulled my concentration away to enjoy the car. (BTW, my best session was the one right after this ride-a-long.)
Peter mentioned he could feel the Torque Vectoring as he passed through the apex of corners accelerating. As a passenger, I couldn’t feel it. (Again, I was in the wrong seat)
Fifth thing I noticed: The car had little to no body role as we went around corners. The car stayed flat. Really flat compared to my bone stock 1991. It was really impressive.
It was a fun quick three laps. (Actually four. I think Peter missed the pit entrance when he asked me “one more lap?” )
Peter mentioned he thought the street tires were limiting the car. He said with better tires, he could get more out of it. I believe R&T said something similar. Peter left some rubber on every corner.
On the back straight, I was hitting 105 - 110 mph and braking at brake point 4 or 3. Peter was at 135mph or more and braking at brake point 2.

Thanks Acura and Peter Cunningham for the ride I will always be grateful to have experienced. It was worth my 28 hour drive to Palm Springs, plus another 28 hours home. Definitely a high light!
Still Smiling….

Last edited:
how did the braking feel? and rearward visibility...were you on the contis...

Why do I feel like all these reviews say "nothing bad to say about the car" but also I don't recall anyone saying anything great about the car.? I was hoping to see some "holy sh!t I can't wipe this grin off my face" reviews.

Back