• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Why do APR wing owners switch to Voltex?

Most allot of APR wing owners have switched to Voltex.

Just wondering why?

Better wing?

prefer the styling?

Better made?

JDM brand?

Or any other reason?

where did you get that info,or from what did you make that observation?

Most allot of APR wing owners have switched to Voltex.

Just wondering why?

Better wing?

prefer the styling?

Better made?

JDM brand?

Or any other reason?

probably all of the above. Also the options that are available for the voltex; ie.. height, stands, etc..

APR has done some basic fluid modeling for their aerofoil, but the Voltex Type IV was tested on an NSX in a wind tunnel; also, during the development there was a partnership with some aerodynamicists working for Super Aguri F1; the credentials are impressive for this type of part.

I purchased my APR wing as a stop gap while waiting for the Voltex to be made, so I never intended to retain it long-term. Now there are several US distributors for Voltex, so you can essentially order it 'off the shelf'

In terms of styling, the mounting system is also better-looking with the underwing, compared to APR, Taitec, etc. - I also liked the ability to add a gurney flap onto the wing from the factory, so I wouldn't have to worry about bonding one on myself.

As far as cost, I would assume the disparity is still quite large, it was 3:1 a few years ago, so they're not really targeted towards the same audience.

Last edited:
I'm not applying one is better than the other.

I am aware of a few people who had APR wings and switched to Voltex and was wondering if there was any specific reasons. Scorp was one.

By the sounds of it the Voltex is a better product but you pay for it. But the APR is far more reasonably priced and glad to hear it's a good product. I'll perhaps see how cheap i can get a Voltex for and if i can't get it any where near the price of a APR I may go for a APR to see if i like the feel and look of a big wing.

BATMAN, do you have pics of yours fitted?

Do you have any pics showing as it comes and with a optional riser?

I would like it as low to the car as possible but... by the sound of it you restrict the rear view window when low but anymore than type R style spoiler who knows.

Without the 2" riser the spoiler blocks the top part of the rear view mirror.

With it I can't even see any part of the spoiler.

Notice the steep angle of the GTC 300 how it has an agressive angle.

Attachments

• 20121025_101026.jpg
    20121025_101026.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 851
  • aprgtc300a.jpg
    aprgtc300a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 835
  • aprgtc300b.jpg
    aprgtc300b.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 834
I'm not applying one is better than the other.

I am aware of a few people who had APR wings and switched to Voltex and was wondering if there was any specific reasons. Scorp was one.

By the sounds of it the Voltex is a better product but you pay for it. But the APR is far more reasonably priced and glad to hear it's a good product. I'll perhaps see how cheap i can get a Voltex for and if i can't get it any where near the price of a APR I may go for a APR to see if i like the feel and look of a big wing.

Coming to the NSX forums the demo and psycho graphics lead me to come to the conclusion that:

1. not too much knowledge base on any technical stuff (just look at my engine build thread and the technical questions that I've asked.)

2. people buy stuff base on status and branding (makes sense that Voltex has the blessing of the rising sun)

3. More price must mean that it's better

4. If the stuff isn't tested or designed in a wind tunnel for the NSX then it "must" be substandard. (I like to think that the APR GTC300 is the most superior spoiler for street application which is what most people use their NSX for..... Street meaning under 120MPH and most amount of downforce.)

All I can say is that in heavy rain and with good tire tread I feel VERY confident going 90MPH with the NSX and the APR GTC300. Without it I am VERY nervous. Love the rooster tail effect. That's my version of the wind tunnel testing. Making sure that the 18 wheeler in back of me looks like he is driving through heavy fog and has to slow down and flip his wipers on fast.

2. people buy stuff base on status and branding (makes sense that Voltex has the blessing of the rising sun)

3. More price must mean that it's better

I have to agree with you on this. I tell people I bought Enkeis for my NSX and they act like the world is ending........"WHAT!! You didnt spend $3,000 on your wheels!?.....your not worthy of an NSX!"

And the problem with this is that vendors know NSX owners "want" to pay more and so we get gouged with ridiculous prices for things other car brand owners would laugh their ass of about............

Experience cannot be replaced by bluster and assumption; if you read batman's post, it actually says nothing, except for provide an ego boost for the writer and insult large sections of the community.

My car was used to re-pattern the APR mounting bracket, since the jig had been lost several years ago. I went to APR's factory several times with my car in order for them to be able to once again sell wings to NSX owners, and was able to see the CFD results first hand for their wing. At the time, the modelling was very low resolution, and their wings were simply scaled up or scaled down for different cars. They had one aerofoil, for S2000, Corvette, NSX, Supra, Evo, etc.

On one hand it was nice to see them apply physics to their design, some companies like Taitec didn't bother, on the other, it's the most basic of work for this type of part. Also, CFD is not a replacement for wind-tunnel testing on a vehicle, just ask Virgin F1.

It's perhaps telling that a premium product is taking market share away from a less expensive option - certainly this is the result of function, and not simply vanity.

As batman suggests, there's a demographic shift in the NSX community; many people like to sway towards less-expensive items with cursory arguments, however, the Voltex is a superior product, if you're willing to pay for it.

I have to agree with you on this. I tell people I bought Enkeis for my NSX and they act like the world is ending........"WHAT!! You didnt spend $3,000 on your wheels!?.....your not worthy of an NSX!"

And the problem with this is that vendors know NSX owners "want" to pay more and so we get gouged with ridiculous prices for things other car brand owners would laugh their ass of about............

I've yet to hear anyone tell me that Enkei are crap wheels.

To my knowledge they are the largest wheel maker in the world (much of it comes from being OEM maker).

When I picked my Enkei RP03 it fit my criteria:

1. 5 spoke
2. cheapest forged or something similar wheel (MAT is what they called it) so that it doesn't bend or break that easily when hitting road hazards in the freeway
3. light weight.

Back