• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why do ppl alway's say the NSX isn't fast?

Lately I keep getting "why did you get the NSX? it's not fast". Anybody else really tired of hearing how not fast their NSX is? I know you can alway's go the forced induction route , but that's like admiting it's not fast.

WingZ said:
Lately I keep getting "why did you get the NSX? it's not fast". Anybody else really tired of hearing how not fast their NSX is? I know you can alway's go the forced induction route , but that's like admiting it's not fast.

NSX's are mostly compared in acceleration to Vipers, Porsche Turbo's, Lambo's, Ferrari's, and other high-end exotics. If all cars were compared to this group, they would be called "slow". Also, everyone else got faster and the NSX stayed the same.

NSX's are compared to high-end exotics for 2 main reasons:

1. The $85k+ new price tag.
2. The "better than Ferrari" reputation they received in the early 90's.

Think about this, most people do not say that the C5 Corvette's are "slow" but they have almost identical acceleration to a 3.2L NSX targa.

I"m sure a good chunk of people are people who merely look at 0-60 numbers but have never felt what 0-60 in 5 seconds feels like.

Oh well, I havent either, so I guess I shouldn't talk... lol

Everyone here worships the car, must be 'something' good in there

Just tell them "You want to try?"
WingZ said:

funny, the most asked question I get at gas stations by far is "Is it fast?"....and I always think what a stupid question! Of coarse it's fast!!!!!!

It is certainly a fast car.. Just not as fast as some of the other exotics is all. I suppose it is all in the definition of "fast". *shrug*

Fast is definitely a relative term. I just sold my 95 Toyota Supra with 650 rwhp. So if you ask me, the NSX isn't that fast. Doesn't make me feel different about it though. Still love the car and its plenty quick.......but I wouldn't mind another 150 or so horsepower. LOL

NSX is faster than C6 and C5 Corvette...

Top Gear tested C6 Vette with NSX, Lotus(was it TVR?) and Porsche(?) and NSX was faster than C6.

Car & Driver TV tested 2001 NSX's 0-60mph: 4.5 sec and 1/4 mile: 12.9 sec. They said the NSX is faster than Corvette and Porsche 911.

In relation to it's price (as stated above) it is relatively slow. Hell, I can build a hybrid for less than 5k that could destroy nsx's day in and day out... (wouldn't look as nice as an nsx)

All motor (stock) in the 13's (with the exception of a few prime members who are dipping in the 12's)... not very impressive... look at the evo or the Sti...

I guess the real question is, what do you define as fast?

x

schuey1010 said:
Oh boy, here we go again. :wink:

hehe.. sometimes it's fun to stir the pot. :tongue:

seriously though.. it's just your definition of what do you consider as fast?

x

lap this said:
Fast is definitely a relative term. I just sold my 95 Toyota Supra with 650 rwhp. So if you ask me, the NSX isn't that fast. Doesn't make me feel different about it though. Still love the car and its plenty quick.......but I wouldn't mind another 150 or so horsepower. LOL

Ha! I keep my modded Z because I think of it as my superfast car, but this get's closer to my point. NSX not modded has this my "aah my boosted civic is faster rep" which has me wondering are we to mature for not crushing these jerks instead of alway's just letting them go? Not condoning street racing ( yes I know it happens and yes sometimes I'm a participant )

AutoVation said:
NSX's are mostly compared in acceleration to Vipers, Porsche Turbo's, Lambo's, Ferrari's, and other high-end exotics. If all cars were compared to this group, they would be called "slow". Also, everyone else got faster and the NSX stayed the same.

NSX's are compared to high-end exotics for 2 main reasons:

1. The $85k+ new price tag.
2. The "better than Ferrari" reputation they received in the early 90's.

Think about this, most people do not say that the C5 Corvette's are "slow" but they have almost identical acceleration to a 3.2L NSX targa.

I'm pretty sure nobody pays anywhere near sticker for these cars and hasn't in a long time. I'm not going to devalue them by saying what I paid for mine new ,but it made no sense to buy a used one for what dealers sell them for new.

They are better than Ferrari for the money back then and now. Basically a Ferrari F430 costs $100k more than the NSX ,but doesn't give you $100 more performance. Vipers and Z06 Corvettes are not handmade exotics.

Oh and for the STI and EVO group I could put 20K into a civic si and have the same performance per price point as a Lancer or a Impreza so please stop going there. No I'm not bashing.

donwon said:
Why do people order prime rib and tenderloin instead of the "all you can eat" buffet?

Because your not supposed to "eat all you can eat."

mban490l.jpg

Hehe nice comic

I guess what I was saying is if the sole purpose of buying a car was its speed, then you would eat buffet every meal for the sole purpose of getting full. There are other factors that influence your car buying decision.

ryans said:
I was thinking of making a windshield sticker, "Yes It's Fast, Fun and Exspensive." :)

I pulled on a Camaro SS the other day. Aren't those fast?

Apparently it can't be fast if the NSX pulled on it :eek:

Of course this is my point. NSX's pull on plenty of fast cars ,but we don't talk about it. Yet one guy get's pulled on by an EVO posts it and start a two page thread. It's funny all the trolls come out and say"yeah see it's not that fast" yet if they get spanked by one do they post " NSX smoked my boosted to an inch of it's life vehicle"

Few weeks back myself and other local NSX guy's were out and I got challenged by a modded VR4. Did I beat him yes! An NSX can get beat soooo many of these other so called fast cars it's not funny. Thanks guy's I've been wanting to say this from the beginning. Yes this is for all the trolls "Bring it"

While the Stock NSX is not "blazing fast", there are 97+ cars that have dipped below 13.0 in the 1/4. That is pretty fast for a "stock" car.

In today's world though, the NSX, while close to many "supercars" in 0-60, falls way short in the 0-150 area. Of course, not many people go to 150 all too often, but it is a true show of power.

For reference, the 3.0 NSX takes 45 seconds and the 3.2 takes 34 seconds to get to 150. The new Z06 takes 17! :eek:

Most people greatly underestimate the NSX though because it "only" has 290HP. Most of them end up seeing our taillights and can't figure out why. :biggrin:

MCM said:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42439

37. something V.S. 45?
What to believe? :smile:

The difference is one is a therotical calculation. (37) and the other was a real world test. Of course, things can change on different days and different conditions.

Anyway, In the Latest Best Mortoring the NSX-R does a hell of a job with cars with WAy more power. Too bad we don't get the Type-R here. :(

WingZ said:
Vipers and Z06 Corvettes are not handmade exotics.

I wouldn't walk the line of saying things that you don't know about.. Being a Viper owner, along with the ability to surf the internet, I'd say: This statement is untrue. I don't know about the mass produced tupperware containers called the Corvette, but the Viper is "Hand made". From DaimlerChrysler:
Each Dodge Viper is hand-assembled at a special Detroit, Michigan facility on Conner Avenue by carefully chosen, skilled UAW workers with over 300 hours of training each.

Back