• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why I am selling my cherished NSX

No one buy Ken's NSX and he will have to keep it. Problem solved.:wink:

So it comes to this? Color it any way you want people, but Ken is the harbinger of many who will, for a number of reasons, need to give up their "toys" for a more practical, frugal existence. Those in DC trying their damnedest to drive small business owners and professional people out of business and fan the flames of class warfare in the name of "equality" make it less and less possible to enjoy the "conspicuous excess" of a car like the NSX. There are some on this forum who are wealthy enough to weather any storm, and others of us who enjoy the good things in life, but need to work every day to keep them. If things go bad for my clients and it reduces my income, bank accounts and retirement, I'll be trimming back as well.

The other side is that nothing is forever, we're all going to be looking for spare parts in a few years, and they won't get any less expensive. Out of pocket costs will drive others to less expensive options, or we'll all be riding the Govt. inflicted public transport and won't be allowed to drive.

Call me Mr. Happiness I guess!

At least Ken's thread has drawn some old timers out of the shadows,good to see familiar xpo goers still lurking.:cool:

Wow Ken. Like many others I am surprised, but empathetic. You have been a great help to me in my NSX fan pursuits, even having been parenthetically referenced in a college writing project. Sorry to see you sell your girl, but if it is time, than it is time.

So uhh how much? Will you except a kidney?

Philip

So it comes to this? Color it any way you want people, but Ken is the harbinger of many who will, for a number of reasons, need to give up their "toys" for a more practical, frugal existence. Those in DC trying their damnedest to drive small business owners and professional people out of business and fan the flames of class warfare in the name of "equality" make it less and less possible to enjoy the "conspicuous excess" of a car like the NSX. There are some on this forum who are wealthy enough to weather any storm, and others of us who enjoy the good things in life, but need to work every day to keep them. If things go bad for my clients and it reduces my income, bank accounts and retirement, I'll be trimming back as well.

The other side is that nothing is forever, we're all going to be looking for spare parts in a few years, and they won't get any less expensive. Out of pocket costs will drive others to less expensive options, or we'll all be riding the Govt. inflicted public transport and won't be allowed to drive.

Call me Mr. Happiness I guess!

Well said. I guess you are a big fan of Obama?:smile:

Wow Ken. Like many others I am surprised, but empathetic. You have been a great help to me in my NSX fan pursuits, even having been parenthetically referenced in a college writing project. Sorry to see you sell your girl, but if it is time, than it is time.

Girl?

Ken,

I too have conetmplated selling the '91 that I have had since '92 as it is almost never driven. I have had dozens of cars since the purchase of the NSX and many of them have come and gone. I just think that if I ever would sell her that I would miss seeing her out there in the garage. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

Ben

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm in complete shock!

Ken, it all started when I met you a long time ago when you flew into Southern California for an NSX drive in San Diego before NSX Prime and during the listserv days. You have always been friendly and I have always looked up to you for everything NSX. I know I can continue to do so and I'm glad to hear you are not leaving the NSX Prime family. It's always a pleasure to read your posts and to see you in person. I will see you again soon in Japan for NSX Fiesta! Good luck with the sale of your beautiful NSX!

--Conrad

After 15 years, the only reason I would consider selling my '91 black/tan would be to buy a flawness '97 plus car, but they didn't make many black/camel! I did go many long periods without driving it much, but then I get back to it. It is simply a great car that is the right size package. Actually more fun to drive than my 360 spyder.

I find myself on the same boat. I've had my 91 for about 7 years, and since I've had my daughter i find myself driving it less and less. I'm wondering if its worth keeping considering I'm paying for insurance and registration every year for a car that doesn't see the light of day.

It's sad to read all these commentaries of folks that no longer drive their beautiful NSXs! I mean there are a bunch of you guys coming out of the woodwork here - geez guys can't you squeeze out a drive. How can you have a car that never sees the light of day to quote SGVnsxrated - man you guys need a prod - just a little one.

I guess I just have a hard time keeping cars I don't drive, never have and never will. All I can say is if you don't drive em - maybe you should sell em and get those beauties back in circulation so that people see them from time to time. It keeps the mytique alive cause if you never see em then people will forget about em. Can't have that now can we.:smile:

Ken, Shocking News! :eek: You were there when Donna and I first joined the NSX community in 1999, welcomed us and we've had a ball every since... Gil

... and when I needed the advice of an NSX expert, ten years later, in March 2009, Ken was generous with his time and helped me out. He met me in the Chicago area to look over the NSX I was interested in purchasing, and then shipping back to California. Ken, I'll always remember your kindness and help that day, and the great deep dish pizza we had before I flew home. I hope to see you in Las Vegas in October. ~Patty

IMG_1729090314KenSax_NSX.jpg

^March 14, 2009.

IMG_1730900314PK_NSX_KenSax.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be there. I'd bring some Lou Malnati's deep-dish with me, except the other people on the plane would probably kill me if I didn't share it with them. :biggrin:

I'm glad to learn that you're coming, Ken. :smile:

Well Ken, any updates?
Nope. I'm serious about selling my car, and I think it's fairly priced, considering all the maintenance is up to date. You almost never see a car that has had everything done, not just the fluids and timing belt but the more specific stuff like all of BrianK's electrical refurbishing, and replacement of stuff like cooling system hoses and brake lines. Whoever buys it will be saving a lot of money vs getting a less expensive NSX and having to put thousands of dollars into it. But if no one wants to buy it at a fair price, I may be stuck with it; I'm not going to sell the car for way less than it's worth, even in today's market.

Last edited:
I know just how you feel. I think if it ever came to the point where I too had to sell my car, I would not let it go for anything but a fair price.

Also, I think I'd like to see you "stuck with it." :wink:

Last edited:
Nope. I'm serious about selling my car, and I think it's fairly priced, considering all the maintenance is up to date. You almost never see a car that has had everything done, not just the fluids and timing belt but the more specific stuff like all of BrianK's electrical refurbishing, and replacement of stuff like cooling system hoses and brake lines. Whoever buys it will be saving a lot of money vs getting a less expensive NSX and having to put thousands of dollars into it. But if no one wants to buy it at a fair price, I may be stuck with it; I'm not going to sell the car for way less than it's worth, even in today's market.

Good for you Ken; if I ever sell mine that'll be my story and I'll stick to it. I wish you luck however, no matter which way you go. When you need to sell something it always seems like it takes longer - although you may not "need" to sell. I don't think that folks realize what a benefit it is to find one that has been properly maintained. It isn't cheap to do all that stuff and a person goes out and buys one of the "cheaper" NSXs then they will surely get what they paid for! The will also find out what paying for that maintenance is all about! Hang in there - it will sell. All the best of luck!

Ken As you stated in your original post----a "no issues car". Anyone knowledgeable understands the car is fairly priced. But then you already know that! I'll take this moment to thank you for the many favors you imparted my way. The very best to you.

Wow - HUGE surprise. Just heard about this from George Lin - who by the way is now looking for his next NSX after selling his several years ago -- perhaps the same fate awaits you...

The first time I realized how dedicated Ken was to NSX owners was when I flew in to race a Formula Ford at the June Sprints at Road America and Ken didn't think twice about meeting for dinner along with Bryan Hunter.

I'll look forward to seeing you at NSXpo this year and I second the motion that you run it one last time at SMMR! If you do, I'll do my best to make sure you run the event for free!

Good Luck!

BTW, here is my recommendation for your next mid-engined car:
porsche-918-spyder.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be there. I'd bring some Lou Malnati's deep-dish with me, except the other people on the plane would probably kill me if I didn't share it with them. :biggrin:

Lou's ships pizza. Packed in dry ice and you heat and eat when you get it. Order a pie and have it shipped to Vegas. That way you don't have to share it on the plane. :biggrin:

I thought for those that actually know about the 918 Spyder this would be of particular interest: (will no longer be a pipe dream)

Decision taken by the Porsche Supervisory Board

Green Light for Series Development of the 918 Spyder

Stuttgart. In its session today, the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave the green light for series development of the Porsche 918 Spyder. Reflecting the overwhelming response from the public and customers to the Concept Study, the Supervisory Board gave Porsche’s Board of Management the mission to develop a production model based on the car already presented. This concept version of an ultra-high-performance mid-engined sports car with plug-in hybrid technology made its debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show and at Auto China in Bejing, hitting the headlines worldwide.

Michael Macht, President and Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG: “Production of the 918 Spyder in a limited series proves that we are taking the right approach with Porsche Intelligent Performance featuring the combination of supreme performance and efficient drivetrain concepts. We will develop the 918 Spyder in Weissach and assemble it in Zuffenhausen. This is also a very important commitment to Germany as a manufacturing base.”

The Concept Study of the 918 Spyder allows CO2 emissions of just 70 g/km, corresponding to fuel consumption of 3.0 litre/100 km (94.1 mpg imp) in the NEDC, on the one hand, and the performance of a super-sports car, on the other. This extremely efficient drivetrain technology then forms a symbiosis in the 918 Spyder with truly outstanding design and high-tech motorsport achievements. Further product details of the 918 Spyder will be disclosed in the months to come.

So maybe there are still companies that want to push forward with new designs for exotics. Honda needs to get off their butts and get back in the game!!!!! You can't tell me they will sit by while Toyota comes up the the LF-A and Porsche develops a car like the 918 Spyder - just a guess - but no way that happens. Bet they will cook something up. They sure as hell should!

Wow - HUGE surprise. Just heard about this from George Lin - who by the way is now looking for his next NSX after selling his several years ago -- perhaps the same fate awaits you...

The first time I realized how dedicated Ken was to NSX owners was when I flew in to race a Formula Ford at the June Sprints at Road America and Ken didn't think twice about meeting for dinner along with Bryan Hunter.

I'll look forward to seeing you at NSXpo this year and I second the motion that you run it one last time at SMMR! If you do, I'll do my best to make sure you run the event for free!

Good Luck!

BTW, here is my recommendation for your next mid-engined car:
porsche-918-spyder.jpg

Back