• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will 97+ Headers fit on a 91

I purchased a group of mods, (intake, exhaust, springs) etc. My problem is the exhaust (B&B) is for a 97+ and I have a 91.

I believe the exhaust is the B&B product #: FPIM-0110
NSX STAINLESS STEEL CAT. BACK 4.5" OVAL TIPS for 97-03

I took the NSX to a shop who said they could cut and weld it to make it fit. They said they could but once they had it up on the lift they saw that the exhaust ends don't mate up with what I guess would be the cats? Plus the piping is smaller than than the piping on the exhaust!

What are my options? Can I buy (for example Comptech) 97+ headers, 97+ stock or high flow cat and still the B&B exhaust I purchased?

I was currently looking for headers but if they aren't going to work with the exhaust I want to sell the exhaust and purchase a set that will fit!

exhausts.gif

Rathemacher said:
What are my options? Can I buy (for example Comptech) 97+ headers, 97+ stock or high flow cat and still the B&B exhaust I purchased?

Yes, You can do that. Or you could get a set of 97 stock headers and cats and use them with your 97+ exhaust. The 97 stock headers are far better than the stock 91-96 exhaust manifold. That is a much less expensive route than going with comptech. There are actually a few for sale on prime.

I have a set of '97 stock headers for sale if anyone is interested.

I've heard if I switch to later model headers I have to replaced the rear Sway bar as well... Any truth to this?

NSX FoYoAss said:

Well, actually its yes and no.

No replacement of rear sway - if you have aftermarket sways. Most aftermarket rear sway clears both the NA1 and NA2 cat converter and exhaust set up.

Yes replacement of stock rear sway - if you have OEM NA1 rear sway and use the NA2 cats with the NA2 header on a NA1 car. The NA1 sway design will not clear the NA2 cats.

I know because I have the NA2 header with the NA2 cats going into my NA1. It requires replacement of the NA1 rear sway with either aftermarket or stock NA2 sway. I bought a Zanardi NA2 sway to do the job. You can get NA2 NSX stock sway bars really cheap. They are about $65 each (non-Zanardi) with the NSXCA discount at NSXCA participating dealers.

I put 97 stock headers on my 91 the cats had to be adapted to the chage in position (a good exaust shop can do this no problem),and the O2 sensor cables had to be lengthened on mine to reach the openings in the headers.
You could also go the other way and move the opens, i.e reweld and tap, towards the sensors as well it seemed harder to me.

Chris@SoS said:
We have kits to convert 1997-1999 headers on to 1991-1996 NSX if you need some. These are plug and play & do not require welding.

Cheers,
-- Chris

not to be dense but, with the flange pipe kit, your saying i can bolt up a 97-99 header to a 91-94 oem or 91-94 aftermarket exhaust?

thanks =)

Last edited:
Back