• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will an Elise satisfy me?

I'm getting the itch for another fun car and I'm thinking of an Elise. I didn't drive my NSX as much as I wanted to because I wanted to keep it like new and was afraid to get that 'first chip'. I think this was because the NSX is so finely finished and is revered for its build quality and glass-like paint finish.

The Elise is not finely finished and about the only reason for getting one is to drive it. At least that is my mind set. So.... I'd like opinions from the good folks here who either owned one, or had first-hand experience. I'm not going to ask on the Elise forum because that is like people asking if the NSX is any good on this forum.

I've never seen one up close or sat in one yet, but what concerns me is the amount of unsold 05's sitting at dealerships and the amount of very low mileage used ones. Case in point, i'm looking at a used 05 with 3K miles which has already changed hands twice! So, I'm asking myself, why are people not keeping these cars? Maybe they are not for everyone, but is it for me?

I know cars are not good investments, but i'm not looking for a depreciation pig either and I'm afraid that used Elise's are about to nose dive.

The other car i'm looking at is a Classic MGA. My, how those have gone up in value in the last 5 years. A good restored one can go for $30K or more; 5 years ago they were $15-18K. So, a fun classic MG seems like money-in-the-bank.

I'm confused, miss the X, but don't want another one. It was time to move on. 5 years is a long time for me to own any car.

btw.. the Lotus msg board is very similar to this one in that its members are quality, helpfull people.

Thanks all, and have a great day.
MikeC

Hi Mike -

I really like the Elise and freely admit to nearly being charmed into one. However, I am quite certain I know why there are so many 05's sitting on the lot. They are really fantastic sports cars but they're really not "real" cars, at least not by today's standards.

For example, I'm only 5'6" and in decent shape. But I could not find any reasonable way to get in and out of the Elise with the roof panel on. Roof panel off, you step on the seat and slid down. No biggie but even for someone like me that is very flexible, you have to be a contortionist to get in and out of one with the roof panel in place.

Also, they're really not good commuter cars. They're loud, they hunt grooves in the road and they're so itsy bitsy that most drivers don't see them... even in their cartoon orange and green hues that some come in.

When it came down to it, I knew that I wouldn't enjoy the Elise as anything more than a toy to be enjoyed on the sunniest of days and when I didn't need to drive on the freeway. Now my NSX is a weekend driver but I occassionally like taking it to work or on a trip (my trip to NSXPO last year with my Dad was really great) and the Elise just doesn't work well for that kind of use.

So unless you're really, really hard core I suspect you'll have the same feelings.

And you're right...the build quality isn't that good but it's also a lot better than the Lotus' of yesteryear (not that that's saying much).

BTW - when I looke into it... insurance was astronomical for the Elise. I think a lot have been wrecked and I've read that the front clip is essentially one very expensive piece to repair.

Da Hapa said:
Hi Mike -

I really like the Elise and freely admit to nearly being charmed into one. However, I am quite certain I know why there are so many 05's sitting on the lot. They are really fantastic sports cars but they're really not "real" cars, at least not by today's standards.

For example, I'm only 5'6" and in decent shape. But I could not find any reasonable way to get in and out of the Elise with the roof panel on. Roof panel off, you step on the seat and slid down. No biggie but even for someone like me that is very flexible, you have to be a contortionist to get in and out of one with the roof panel in place.

Also, they're really not good commuter cars. They're loud, they hunt grooves in the road and they're so itsy bitsy that most drivers don't see them... even in their cartoon orange and green hues that some come in.

When it came down to it, I knew that I wouldn't enjoy the Elise as anything more than a toy to be enjoyed on the sunniest of days and when I didn't need to drive on the freeway. Now my NSX is a weekend driver but I occassionally like taking it to work or on a trip (my trip to NSXPO last year with my Dad was really great) and the Elise just doesn't work well for that kind of use.

So unless you're really, really hard core I suspect you'll have the same feelings.

And you're right...the build quality isn't that good but it's also a lot better than the Lotus' of yesteryear (not that that's saying much).

BTW - when I looke into it... insurance was astronomical for the Elise. I think a lot have been wrecked and I've read that the front clip is essentially one very expensive piece to repair.

I would add to this, but I think Da Hapa hit the nail on the head. I also think that as a result of the things mentioned above, people are initially charmed into buying one, only to get buyer's remorse after the impracticality of it comes to light after the initial blind lust, hence the number of low mieage used ones for sale.

The Elise is an extremely difficult car to get in and out of. Once I'm inside, it's actually a nice fit (I'm 6'3" and very lanky). The passenger seat is also very close to the driver's seat. Unless you're on very familiar terms with your passenger, it can make for a very uncomfortable drive.

mike just get an s2000 and be done with it.

One reason people get into and out of Elises so fast is because they get caught up in all the hype then realize they've bought someone else's dream car.

I don't think an Elise will satisfy you. If you won't drive an NSX, why would you suddenly start driving an Elise with its delicate front and rear fiberglass clams? Owning and driving an exotic is pricey. Stop kidding yourself or go get a beater Miata and start enjoying yourself.

I almost bought an elise. Lots of things turned me away from it.
1. An oil change is over $100
2. 1,000 mile service is $350
3. 7,000 mile service is $450
4. Owners are having lots of problems. Hang out on their forums for a while. Alot of their owners are not too happy..
5. Big depreciation
6. My local lotus dealer is stuckup, and rude.

All that said, I'm sure its a lot of fun..

Thanks for all your comments. I know the S2000 is as well built as any Honda, but I want an uncommon car as a toy.

Fragile clams? red or white sauce? I couldn't resist :)

mikec said:
Thanks for all your comments. I know the S2000 is as well built as any Honda, but I want an uncommon car as a toy.

Fragile clams? red or white sauce? I couldn't resist :)

You could get a Toyota MR2 Spyder and put a 2ZZ engine in it (same engine as the Elise). The car is much easier to get in and out of, and you won't be paranoid parking it places. It's also very cheap to maintain. The Spyder is also a pretty rare car. People ask me what kind of car it is even though it still has all its badges.

I had some track tuition in an Elise the other day. It's a great track car but the build qualitie's average (rattling doors, glued together) and compared to an NSX it's an expensive car for what you're actually getting.
The other thing is, with regard to the condition of your NSX, it seems sacraligious not to get the most from the car on a regular basis rather than keeping locked away.
I have a 96 model which I look after fastidiously but I drive hard regularly because at the end of the day, that's what it's for.

Cheers,

James.

zoomnsx said:
Check out the coming Z4 coupe and it's M version.

Oh God no! In the words of another Prime member, well actually 2 words... "clown's shoe". :biggrin:

That still cracks me up. The Z4 has got to be one of the butt ugliest conveyances ever to be foisted onto the consumer market.

mikec said:
I didn't drive my NSX as much as I wanted to because I wanted to keep it like new and was afraid to get that 'first chip'.

I've put 90,000 + miles on my '93 in the last 2 1/2 years. I drive it through car washes, any and all weather conditions and it still looks better than most cars it's parked next to. People are shocked when they learn its age and mileage. (163,500 total).

Stop worrying about a silly rock chip on your NSX and drive the damn thing. It will be looking brand new for a very long time to come.

Hugh said:
Oh God no! In the words of another Prime member, well actually 2 words... "clown's shoe". :biggrin:

That still cracks me up. The Z4 has got to be one of the butt ugliest conveyances ever to be foisted onto the consumer market.

I have to say (as someone who lives/works 10 minutes from BMW Manufacturing where the Z4 is made, and who sees 50 a day, including the M Coupe version) Hugh is right, that friggin car is UGLY! The coupe oddly looks better than the roadster, which was the other way around with the Z3, but still UGLY!

Last edited:
Hugh said:
That's like saying Pomeranian shit smells better than Poodle shit. :)
I don't always agree with Hugh but I have to admit that more often than not his little "kernels of wisdom" leave me laughing out loud.

Awesome!

And for what it's worth, I think the Z4 roadster and coupe (m and non-m) are sinfully ugly cars.

Hugh said:
That's like saying Pomeranian shit smells better than Poodle shit. :)
Yes, but rub a few "zymes" on it and boy will that shit shine!!!!!:biggrin:

jond said:
I almost bought an elise. Lots of things turned me away from it.
1. An oil change is over $100
2. 1,000 mile service is $350
3. 7,000 mile service is $450
4. Owners are having lots of problems. Hang out on their forums for a while. Alot of their owners are not too happy..
5. Big depreciation
6. My local lotus dealer is stuckup, and rude.

All that said, I'm sure its a lot of fun..

How is this possible if it has a Toyota Engine?

Tantheman said:
How is this possible if it has a Toyota Engine?

But the Lotus dealer is quoting the prices. They have to make money somehow, Lord knows they're not going to make it selling the car. :)

Back