• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield lower moulding removal procedure

This moulding has some tricks that hopefully will help others needing to access the wiper assembly(I just learned the hard way). The mould strip is held by several plastic clips. You can just pull it straight out breaking most of the clips, they are about $8 each. Or you can do it properly and perhaps not break any clips. The proper technique appears to be to start in the middle and get your fingernails under the top and bottom edges, pull the mould straight away from the windshield about 3/8 to 1/2 inch and then pull the mould DOWN along the axis of the windshield. This should release the clip closest to where you are. Then move 10" or so one way and do it again and again until you reach one end and then come back to the middle and work to the other edge. The two ends will still be held in place by the large rubber hinge waterproofing which is part of the strip(Don't try to remove this from the strip). Close the hood if you had it open. Look at how the strip fits under the windshield side moulding. Tape up the hood, the fender and the windshield piller. Work the rubber loose from around the hood hinge and the part is free. You could take off the hood which would make this a whole lot easier and prevent possible damage to the weatherstrip. I did not and did not have damage, but I think I would in retrospect. Replacement: The plastic clips are still attached to the cowl. Instead of staring at the clips for several hours trying to figure out how the heck you will get the mould back on the clips which would seem logical, remove the clips by pressing the center prongs with a small screwdriver. Inspect for small pieces of yellow plastic for indication of damaged clips. Insert the clips in the mould, but they have to be within a 1/4" or so of where the slot in the cowl is, so look at the mould closely for tiny rub marks left by the clips and place them on the rub marks. The rest is a reverse of the above, start with the two ends making sure the tip of the mould goes under the windshield side mould. Thats it. I no longer have a wiper assembly, I hope I don't regret it!

For those of us who purchased downforce's hepa filter system, this will come in handy. Is there any chance of breaking the glass? I've messed with it in preperation of the filter system and the trim seems to be held very tightly.

Back