• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield Replacement

After 13 years and 116,000 miles (many of which were on a track at high speed), my windshield was really pitted. Direct sun on it showed how bad it was - literally hazy from all the pits and scratches. No cracks however.

So I looked around at those mobile windshield replacment services, and found Safelite that would do it for $192.00 installed. That's an incredible price. They used an OEM windshield (complete with rear view mirror mount, blue shading at the top, and a hole in the black paint for the VIN). I had them do an older Civic just to see how it went, and that went well so I had them do the NSX. It's great. Really well done, crystal clear new OEM windshield for that price (parts and labor included), with a lifetime warranty. I stayed there to watch him do it and directed him a bit as needed.

So if you're looking to get it done, I recommend them. Happy customer here.

Jeff

Thanks for posting this Jeff,
I've been looking for a local vendor to do this job on my '95 - just so happens there's a Safelite nearby. :smile: I just called and ordered it. I asked what brand glass they were going to use - his reply was it's a "Safelite manufactured piece of glass." Does your new windshield have any brand markings on it - like down low and in the middle? Just wondering if they actually do make their own glass. Hope the install goes as well for mine on Saturday as yours went!
Michael

The new windshield has an FY mark in a diamond in the lower passenger side corner. I may have been misled, it may not be OEM, but if not it's an incredibly good copy, right down to the dots at the edge of the black painted border. It's really good.

A few things to make sure the technician knows:
  • The trim strips at the sides of the windshield (that extend back over the doors) are removed by removing phillips head screws under the foam weatherstripping. The technician had to remove the front end of the weatherstripping to get at the lower corner of the windshield by removing the 3 plastic fasteners there.
  • The plastic trim strip at the top of the windshield easily pulls right off.
  • The plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield is held on with yellow clip fasteners, it can be pryed up.

Basically he'll remove the trim all the way around, use a special L shaped cutting tool to cut the seal under the edges of the windshield, remove the windshield, remove all the old foam seal, use primer to seal up any scratches made while cutting out the old foam seal, use a battery powered caulk gun to put a perfect 1/2" bead of rubber sealant all the way around, put the new windshield in, remount all the trim, and tape the plastic trim down so it's held in place as the sealant sets.

If you can, be there to guide him to make sure all this happens. With your help, it's sure to go well. Let us know how it goes.

Oh, one other thing. I removed the windshield wipers before I took the car in. 17mm socket removes the nut easily. The hood gets in the way of folding them back, it helps a lot to just remove them.

Jeff

Thanks again Jeff!
Didn't mean to come off wrong by stating what brand of glass it was (an oem Honda peice of glass would cost much more) but I was surprised and a little doubtful that they make their own glass. When they told you "oem" they probably meant it's the same in look and dimention. But this is still a very good price for such a rare piece in my opinion. Did they need to use any new exterior pieces (like the black rubber strip that goes along the top of the windshield) when they reinstalled?
I'll let you know how it went - I'm thinking this will be the first NSX for the installer as there aren't many around here. :frown: I'll take your instructions in and make sure he follows them though :smile:

michael

In both Hondas that I had them do, they reused the existing top plastic trim strip. If yours is old and ugly, you may want to purchase a new one and have him use it instead of the old one, for a nice new look there. They didn't bring one that I saw.

I too had my windshield replaced with aftermarket glass. Mine is pretty much as Jeff describes (rear window mount, blue tint at top, VIN opening, dots, etc.) and I also paid under $200 total. However, I noticed a few differences I noticed compared to my old stock glass (the transition of the blue tint is different and the marking on the area where the mirror is mounted, for example), but given the savings, I don't mind.
Jeff A said:
If yours is old and ugly, you may want to purchase a new one and have him use it instead of the old one, for a nice new look there. They didn't bring one that I saw.
That's a good point.

Michael, When I took my car to the windshield shop, they replaced my old molding at no charge. Instead of paying $40 for the Acura part, you might want to ask the installer if they have a generic molding they can use as replacement. I imagine they would.

I had my windshield replaced with Safelite a few weeks ago. When they replaced it though, for some reason the rear view mirror locking screw wouldnt tighten down, and caused it to jiggle with any vibration.

I ended up replacing it with a new mirror I bought from my Acura dealership. Its working fine now and im a happy camper. A total of about $300 invested for just a rock chip though.. =/

Unfortunately Safelite does not make the partition glass. They also quoted me almost $300 for labor alone to do the job. I did not get a good feeling from them for doing the partition glass, though I would probably let them do the front windshield.

53heloFE said:
Unfortunately Safelite does not make the partition glass. They also quoted me almost $300 for labor alone to do the job. I did not get a good feeling from them for doing the partition glass, though I would probably let them do the front windshield.

The partition glass is a lot harder to replace.

Update:
I just got a call from Safelite telling me that there were no windshields available in this region. It looks like they're all in the south/southeast. He said the shipping would add at least $100 to the total of the install and it would probably be a while before they could get it here. I don't mind waiting - but a few hundred purely for esthetics (not cracked, just a couple minor chips) - i'll wait til i move south then do it :biggrin:

So I cracked the windshield on the '92 and a new one is no longer just for esthetics on that car. I called Safelite and told them I'd pay the extra $100 now for shipping. Now they're stating that there are no aftermarket windshields remaining anywhere... period and they would have to use an OEM piece for $892. i find it hard to believe there are none left. Anyone know of any other national brands that make aftermarket windshields for us?

NSXDreamer2 said:
Thank you for your information, Time to call Safe lite for me on the windsheild replacement.... and hit Geico hard.

yes.

Another data point. I just had a windshield replaced two days ago for $175 flat to your door service. Smart Glass in Seattle. The installer they sent has been in the business for ten years, and did a first rate job with a good product. Very pleased. Our roads in the PNW are so rock infested, I was highly pleased to finally see the street sweepers out in force yesterday.

All this talk of replacing the windshield make me jealous. I just took the NSX out after a good washing...feeling pretty good until the sun started setting and ALL the microscopic chips came alive. The damn windshield had more life to it that the wife's diamond ring! Gotta make a call tomorrow and get it replaced!

Update: After calling about 10 glass shops a ma-pa place was able to locate some aftermarket windshields for me. The manufacturer is "LOF" also known as Plinkington. At $150 a piece (not including install) I got one for each car. I have an LOF piece of glass in my M3 and it has done very well. The pitting of the OEM BMW glass is notorious but this new piece has gone a year and is clear as the day I had it put in. All that to say - I think I'll be happy with it. If anyone here in the Midwest is having difficulties finding a windshield PM me. The owners said they may order an extra one because there are NO nsx windshields in the midwest according to their locator.

Hi all, I am replacing my windshield with Safelite this coming President's Day. The technician looked at my car and said I need to get 8 cowl clips for the bottom of the windshield. I didn't see anyone mention this before and was curious if these can be used again.

Thanks!

When the SafeLite technician did mine, he did not know of them in advance and so used a bit of adhesive on them when putting it back together. He pointed it out to me and mentioned that if the windshield is ever replaced again, I should get those clips as they will probably need to be replaced after he secured them with a dab of the windshield sealant. So, good call on his part.

Jeff

Just had mine replaced yesterday. I had to replace the upper molding and upper fastner as well...mine were both shot. Send me an email to [email protected] and I will email you the pages from the manual showing these items.

Jeff A said:
The new windshield has an FY mark in a diamond in the lower passenger side corner. I may have been misled, it may not be OEM, but if not it's an incredibly good copy, right down to the dots at the edge of the black painted border. It's really good.

When I had mine replaced, it was with an OEM windshield and it had a sticker on the driver's side lower corner that says "Genuine Honda something... To be Removed by the Owner only"...

Mine including installation was $199. I called around and found them ranging from $139.00 to $399.00. Since they installer has to remove the pillar covers, I would make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing and see if they have all the "need to replace" parts there. If not, order them from your Acura dealer.

Safelite did mine today for $242.00 installed. It ended up taking them 2 hours and 5 minutes to do the work. DAMN I love my new glass :biggrin: The old one was needing some help!

juejaimon said:
When I had mine replaced, it was with an OEM windshield and it had a sticker on the driver's side lower corner that says "Genuine Honda something... To be Removed by the Owner only"...

This one

Ashik

Attachments

• DSC01077.jpg
    DSC01077.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 439
I’m having my windshield replaced with an OEM glass from ACURA after receiving approval from my insurance company. With the help of Tim at Ray Lak’s Honda http://www.hondacuraworld.com/ (Honda Acura dealer that discounts via mail order) I compiled a list of all the component parts that should be on hand and replaced as part of a competent windshield replacement. The following list is for a 1995 NSX-T but is probably near the same for all years. The prices are those quoted to me on 2/15/06 by Tim at the above mentioned dealer and are there discounted prices (25+% off list) and free shipping although there is a per order handling fee of about $4.00 I think. He did say the windshield itself could only be shipped to northeast destinations (they are located in West Seneca, New York) but all the detail parts could be shipped anywhere. The factory manual clearly indicates the need to replace these parts in the Remove and Replace instructions. Cowl clips were mentioned in post #16 to this thread but the dealer could not find any reference to these in the Honda/ Acura parts list or exploded diagram in his parts book. The following is the Honda/Acura description, Part number, and Ray Lak’s Honda discounted price:

Glass, Front Windshield 73111-SL0-A00 $ 555.68
Rubber, Front Windshield Dam A 73124-SL0-000 $6.81
Rubber, Front Windshield Dam B 73125-SL0-000 $43.48
Spacer, Front Windshield (2 needed) 73126-SL0-000 $3.77
Molding, Front Windshield (upper) 73151-SL0-023 $31.69
Fastener, Front Windshield (upper) 73152-SL0-013 $58.88

I gave this list to my glass installer who said they would go back to my insurance company and get approval to replace all the parts as part of the windshield installation. As soon as I get the word they are authorized I’ll order them all or have the glass shop order them and have everything on hand to do the job without order delays or the need to take “short cuts” or “work arounds” to get the job done.

I hope this helps others who need have there windshield replaced in the future.

NSXSOON said:
Cowl clips were mentioned in post #16 to this thread but the dealer could not find any reference to these in the Honda/ Acura parts list or exploded diagram in his parts book.

Those are the 8 Yellow clips that hold the lower outer windshield garnish in place. They can be found in the "Hood" section of the exploded parts diagram as part #17. (74207-SL0-000 CLIP, FR. WINDSHIELD)

In the service manual it calls for the replacement of the "Defrost Panel Seal". See pages 20-22 and 20-23. This part is clearly not the rubber dams (parts 2 and 3) in the windshield diagram. I can't find it anywhere in the parts list. Can anyone help on that one?

Thanks!

Back