• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wobbly/stuttery deceleration?

I've been having this issue where... on light throttle, between 1-3k rpm, and on deceleration with no throttle, my nsx will be jerky and rough while in gear.

Is this supposed to be normal? I cant remember if it's slowly gotten worse, or if it's always been like this.

I tried:
replacing fuel pump + fuel filter, cleaning/dielectric the coils, changing tranny fluid for synchromesh cocktail, cleaning the iat sensor, replacing o2 plugs....

As I decelerate in gear, its like... wub wub wub wub wub as it slowly surges forward to a stop. Could it be the throttle position sensor? Leaky injector?

Last edited:
Do you have the oem dashpot and check valve installed on the intake? Mine used to not have them and as soon as you let off the throttle the throttle body would immediately close and the car would act as if I hit the brakes. The purpose of the dashpot is to slow the throttle body to a close. Most aftermarket intakes usually delete the dash pot and or check valve. That could be an issue but I am only saying what mine did without it. Could be something else, but an easy check none the less...

good idea, I checked the dash pot, it holds vacuum and the rod retracts. The check valve also slowly bleeds off vacuum, and the arrow is pointing to the intake hose, so that seems to be working fine.

Next up I guess I'll send my injectors out...

Perhaps a good idea regardless but the NSX does fuel cut on deceleration so that would be surprising if it's the problem, right?

Yep, only justification I could think of for that would be... what if an injector was leaking?
The wobble even happens on static throttle around 2k rpm...

May want to check your motor mounts, especially front one on the front-beam, and back one on the trans.

HTH,
LarryB

Yes you want to see if a mount is loose or cracked.

Regards,
LarryB

As jwmelvin mentions, the NSX (and just about all OEM ECUs) do fuel cut when the throttle is lifted. There are usually some software limiters that will prevent fuel cut such as: MAP must be less than x, throttle switch less than x, RPM less than x. These settings attempt to confirm that you are de accelerating and attempt to make the fuel cut - fuel restore transition smooth when you have lifted the throttle and are de accelerating. If you have an OEM ECU these settings are non adjustable. If the MAP input and RPM inputs were messing up, you would likely be generating error codes or have other issues. However, if your throttle switch is slightly out of adjustment or the throttle switch is worn in the low opening area this could be causing a problem with smooth transitions at low throttle opening without generating a TPS error code. Typically, the software might block fuel cut when the TPS is less than 5% open. If your TPS is worn (think worn stereo volume control that goes high all of a sudden at a low setting) or the TPS is out of adjustment, you could be getting the TPS on - off transition at a bad point causing the engine to cut - restore - cut - restore fuel. The NSX has a fair amount of lash in its drive train which is quite noticeable in the lower gears and problems with transitioning in the fuel cut will really amplify this.

You didn't identify whether your car is cable or DBW throttle. If you have a cable throttle, make sure that the cable is operating smoothly and not causing the throttle to hang up.

You mention that the wobble occurs on static throttle at 2000 RPM? Does that mean throttle closed, car in gear and de accelerating? If so, at 2000 RPM the ECU should be in fuel cut mode. However, if the TPS is out of adjustment or worn, the TPS signal might be transitioning between cut and restore levels causing the 'wobble'.

If you have access to an ohmeter, it should be relatively easy to check for smooth operation of the TPS without taking it off the car (it is just a simple rheostat). I also seem to recall seeing a procedure in the shop manual for setting or at least checking the settings on the TPS. Finally, the TPS is usually a dumb-ass reliable device so diagnose first. Replace the switch or do the adjustment only if checking confirms that it is out of adjustment or has a worn spot. Unnecessary replacement or adjustment on a functioning switch offers the potential to mess things up.

Last edited:
As jwmelvin mentions, the NSX (and just about all OEM ECUs) do fuel cut when the throttle is lifted. There are usually some software limiters that will prevent fuel cut such as: MAP must be less than x, throttle switch less than x, RPM less than x. These settings attempt to confirm that you are de accelerating and attempt to make the fuel cut - fuel restore transition smooth when you have lifted the throttle and are de accelerating. If you have an OEM ECU these settings are non adjustable. If the MAP input and RPM inputs were messing up, you would likely be generating error codes or have other issues. However, if your throttle switch is slightly out of adjustment or the throttle switch is worn in the low opening area this could be causing a problem with smooth transitions at low throttle opening without generating a TPS error code. Typically, the software might block fuel cut when the TPS is less than 5% open. If your TPS is worn (think worn stereo volume control that goes high all of a sudden at a low setting) or the TPS is out of adjustment, you could be getting the TPS on - off transition at a bad point causing the engine to cut - restore - cut - restore fuel. The NSX has a fair amount of lash in its drive train which is quite noticeable in the lower gears and problems with transitioning in the fuel cut will really amplify this.

You didn't identify whether your car is cable or DBW throttle. If you have a cable throttle, make sure that the cable is operating smoothly and not causing the throttle to hang up.

You mention that the wobble occurs on static throttle at 2000 RPM? Does that mean throttle closed, car in gear and de accelerating? If so, at 2000 RPM the ECU should be in fuel cut mode. However, if the TPS is out of adjustment or worn, the TPS signal might be transitioning between cut and restore levels causing the 'wobble'.

If you have access to an ohmeter, it should be relatively easy to check for smooth operation of the TPS without taking it off the car (it is just a simple rheostat). I also seem to recall seeing a procedure in the shop manual for setting or at least checking the settings on the TPS. Finally, the TPS is usually a dumb-ass reliable device so diagnose first. Replace the switch or do the adjustment only if checking confirms that it is out of adjustment or has a worn spot. Unnecessary replacement or adjustment on a functioning switch offers the potential to mess things up.

Ah yeah, car is a '92, cable throttle.

The 2k rpm wobble is when the throttle is barely applied on a flat road, in gear, not really accelerating or decelerating, just maintaining 2k rpm.
Thanks for the advice

Hmm... I'll check that next.

Disconnecting the TPS made no difference. The rear motor mount is slightly cracky, but not cracked all the way through. I wasn't able to see the front one, but I'm thinking about replacing them anyways now... because why not....

So just to update this, replacing my coolant tank fixed it.

The SOS coolant tank had a leak in it. Also the baffle inside came unfixed and wobbled around a lot. I believe air was being introduced into the system and bubbles were making light throttle feel uneven.

Replaced the tank and filled it with OEM honda coolant, no more wobbles.

Back