• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Would powdercoating a set of NA2 mint wheels white devalue them?

yo fellas,

Need some assistance - I really like the look of white rims on a white NSX and instead of buying another set of rims such as the Advan's, I was thinking of just having my stock NA2 rims professionally powdercoated.

My question is would you guys do it? I "may" sell the car down the road so would OEM rims be better?

How is durability on rims that have been powdercoated?

P.S. my stock rims are in absolute mint condition so it makes it harder to debate this decision. I called some places and cost will be around $600 to do the powdercoating.

thanks
rick

No.

If you do it right.

Championship White or GPW.

From a buyers standpoint, it would hurt the value for me. I look for all stock cars so that I know they haven't been molested in other ways. I've seen a couple of sets of OEM wheels for sale for $800-$1000 that might be a better candidate for altering.

it won't hurt the value if that's what someone is looking for when your ready to sell them. like vance said if you do it right and its championship white or gpw then you sould be fine. it might take a little longer to sell, but they'll still sell for market value.

Should I wire money over to Lithuania now to reserve my spot in the group buy?

You can wire the money if you like. I'm sure they can get your M3 wheels to a spotless Alpine White.

Actually, if you want to have any thing powder coated in CW or GPW, let me know, I have a shop for you.

However, they don't keep the color in stock (they do go by standard color coat), so you will be responsible to purchase the raw material in its entirety. Most Powdercoat places will not do "not" in stock color unless they have enough job to use up the entire color mix.

Last edited:
If you like the look, do it. I don't think it will hurt the resale and it shouldn't stop someone from buying the car. The worst case scenario will be that you don't recoup the cost for powdercoating.

Since you'll be redoing the rims anyway, I'd find a used set that is scratched or otherwise cosmetically damaged (which the powdercoating will fix), and use those, then keep your pristine ones as spares.

Do the light gun metal finish. Those are always popular.

Since you'll be redoing the rims anyway, I'd find a used set that is scratched or otherwise cosmetically damaged (which the powdercoating will fix), and use those, then keep your pristine ones as spares.

Ben you think like a true NSX guy! :)

I have barely any room now with 2 sets of rims and you suggest I get 3 sets? ok my girl would definitely kill me....haha

ok I was only thinking white or just keep it stock - will have to give this some more thought.

rk

Ben you think like a true NSX guy! :)

I have barely any room now with 2 sets of rims and you suggest I get 3 sets? ok my girl would definitely kill me....haha

ok I was only thinking white or just keep it stock - will have to give this some more thought.

rk

Hahaha, you're talking to the guy who (not including what are mounted on the cars) has 2 sets of OEM 2002+ NSX rims, 2 sets of Legend Coupe rims, 1 set of Supra rims, and 2 sets of Modulo S2000 Rims (and I don't even have an S2000 anymore).

If you want to see what gunmetal looks like, you can see my OEM Washi Grays.

Last edited:
I had my wheels restored and powercoated GPW.
I just gave the shop Honda's color code :cool:
Durability is (to me so far) good. Take care
of it and it'll be fine. I drive mine daily, so....
I do have a few chips off. :frown:

If you're wheels are mint now I wouldn't do it now. I face the same situation and just wait some years until they 'need' a refinish. For the same reason I would not repaint anything that doesn't need repainting and is in mint condition.

Hey, does anyone mod their cars before running it past a committee anymore? :biggrin::rolleyes::tongue:

Just do it, man.

J

Back