• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Would Steve Jobs have released apple maps?

I am curious what you guys think.

Would he have let a product that is clearly not 100% out like this or would he have waited until it was great?

He would have released it regardless of the map because that's an software issue and can be fixed during updates. Apple have been known to release stuff before the unit is at 100%. I bought the very first Ti powerbook 10 years ago and they were bragging about the performance, the usage of carbon kevlar to reduce weight, and the thickness; turn out that the kevlar was in the way of CD/DVD ejection and the thing was not lap friendly due to heat. I had to send it back so they can trim the kevlar cover so the DVD/CD can be ejected. I also have the old PowerMac G4 dual mirror and the power supply was too loud and Apple had to do a power unit swap.

I think the release of the iPhone5 is important to the company's earning and they had to do it ASAP.

Last edited:
I am curious what you guys think.

It's obvious to me that Apple has turned into a company in a defense position than an offense position.
They used to innovate and push technology. Now they just sue people and rehash the same old stuff.

It used to be people bought iPhones because they were the best.
Now they buy them out of habit and because they're cool.
They won't always be 'cool'. Without innovation, Apple is going to be in trouble.

I never used the old iOS maps app. I used my Navigon app whenever I was on vacation... or one of my TomTom devices.

In my daily driver I have the Acura Navi system that is powered by NavTeq data and I'm very happy with it.

I may play with the new iOS Map app on my iPhone 5 but I don't think it'll be used very much day-to-day...

For those who depended on it, hopefully Google's standalone Maps app will be approved into the Apple App Store soon!

Last edited:
I wanted to get a little more exposure on the topic, but it could have been in the Apple thread. So what is your opinion?

I think he would have. Jobs has achieved sainthood in the afterlife, but there have been lots of things released during his tenure that were suboptimal in the .0 product. They usually get fixed by .1, so that will be the tell on Maps.

It's obvious to me that Apple has turned into a company in a defense position than an offense position.
They used to innovate and push technology. Now they just sue people and rehash the same old stuff.

It used to be people bought iPhones because they were the best.
Now they buy them out of habit and because they're cool.
They won't always be 'cool'. Without innovation, Apple is going to be in trouble.

I agree that the competition is getting stronger but i think that Apple is still innovating...

PROCESSOR

Actually the new A6 processor in the iPhone 5 is an all new in-house design by Apple engineered from the ground up. Apple bought out a company called PA Semi in 2008 and that engineering talent was used to design this new chip. It is twice as fast as the previous A5 chip.

As far as benchmarks are concerned:
sunspider.jpg

(Courtesy of Anandtech, shorter bars are better)

Here's another:
apple-iphone-5-benchmark-test.png

(courtesy of BusinessInsider, longer bars are better)

SCREEN

Also something new for the iPhone is Apple's patented in-cell screen technology. Here is a quote from the Wall Street Journal:

Andrew Rassweiler, the firm’s senior principal analyst for teardown services, noted that other smartphones use a distinct capacitive touchscreen assembly that is physically separate and placed on top of the display–with different suppliers for those two components. But the iPhone 5 partially integrates the touch layers into the display glass, which makes the handset thinner and reduces the parts needed.

Rival Samsung Electronics, which makes both smartphones and many components used inside them, supplies an integrated display-touchscreen module using an approach called “on-cell.” The in-cell approach represents a step beyond Samsung’s, in IHS iSuppli’s view

Here's a quote from AppleInsider:

Apple on Tuesday received a patent for touch screen LCD technology which integrates touch-sensing elements with display circuitry to create a thinner, lighter panel that will possibly make its way to the company's popular smartphone.

Apple's U.S. Patent No. 8,243,027 for a "Touch screen liquid crystal display" describes a variety of methods in which a touchscreen's touch-sensing elements are integrated within the LCD, unlike current technology which places the touch layer over a device's screen. The patent filing cross-references a number of properties regarding multi-touch and LCD technologies.

Here's a quote from Time magazine regarding one of the major advantages of this technology:

Improved screen imaging. The more layers light has to pass through to get to your eye, the less clear the image on the other side of those layers is going to be. Anyone who’s lived with a smartphone screen protector for a considerable period of time, then pulled it off to swap in a new one, has probably noticed how much sharper and clearer the display looks with the protector removed (even a razor-thin piece of plastic can negatively impact how crisp or clear text and images on a display look).

An “in-cell” display wouldn’t solve the screen protector issue, but it would eliminate a significant layer in the light-to-retina equation, theoretically improving the clarity of images and text with or without an optional aftermarket protective layer.

I don't want to turn this into and innovating or not innovating thread. Or fanboi vs fandroid. We have one if those. So stay on topic. :biggrin:

My opinion is he would not have released a poor map program. I think he would have rather waited a year until it is perfect. Apple doesn't need the money. If they are all about a great user experience under Steve, then I think he wouldn't have done it.

Last edited:
I think he would have. Jobs has achieved sainthood in the afterlife, but there have been lots of things released during his tenure that were suboptimal in the .0 product. They usually get fixed by .1, so that will be the tell on Maps.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/21/google-maps-7100-workers/

Might take a long time to catch up when google has over 7,000 people working on maps!:eek:

I have been playing with the 3d cities for the last 30 mins. Apart from some weird looking stuff, it really is amazing.

Last edited:
I don't want to turn this into and innovating or not innovating thread. Or fanboi vs fandroid. We have one if those. So stay on topic. :biggrin:

My opinion is he would not have released a poor map program. I think he would have rather waited a year until it is perfect. Apple doesn't need the money. If they are all about a great user experience under Steve, then I think he wouldn't have done it.

I don't know. I don't think it is THAT bad. People just want to have something to complain about.

Like those complaining that the aluminum scratches when you scrape it with a sharp object...

I'll try it out tomorrow on my way to hospitals when I round in the morning and I'll report back how it compares to my NavTeq navi in my RL...

Might take a long time to catch up when google has over 7,000 people working on maps!:eek:

I have been playing with the 3d cities for the last 30 mins. Apart from some weird looking stuff, it really is amazing.

Wow. Sounds like a good gig -- I wonder if either of them need some freelance help. I could use a night job.

From the linked article: "Apple has only 13,000 non-retail employees in total, so it’s really not fair to compare its maps application with an app that’s designed and maintained by a small army."

THIS IS WHAT APPLE FANBOIS REALLY THINK. It's totally fair. Either you have a good app, or your app sucks. The end user should not have to care what magic is being worked behind the curtain.

Last edited:

Yah. It's gonna be tough to catch up.

But, you would think that since the app uses map data from TomTom it would have some great POIs right from the beginning...

If it bothers people that much they should use Google Maps on their safari browsers. Or better yet download and one of the many Navi apps. I like Navigon.

Um, no. Look:

mapscomparison-e1348231525673.jpg

Compared to Google, it is THAT BAD. A decade ago it would have been awesome. In 2012, it's just sad.

Yeah i've seen that site that all of the media is reporting on now that has all of the side by side images.

As I did not use the old Google powered iOS Maps app I cannot comment on how detailed it was.

However I don't think the old Google powered version ever gave turn-by-turn voice directions am I right? Even my old Garmin iQue 3600 PalmOS PDA gave me turn-by-turn voice directions in 2003...

So the old iOS5 Maps app powered by Google would have been useless to me while driving unless I wanted to keep looking down at my phone.

Lets face it, even in iOS5, Apple never got the REAL Google Maps app that the Androids got. That was because it was an Apple iOS system app controlled by Apple and not by Google.

Again, I'm sure in a few weeks we'll see a standalone Google Maps app in the app store and everyone will be happy again. In the meantime just use the browser based version of Google Maps or just download one of the many excellent third party apps.

Last edited:
The irony here? Most iPhone users have never used Gmaps on Android so they have no idea how terrible maps is on their device. Gmaps on my iPad3 was garbage even before this horrific "update".

Seriously. Pick up a GS3 and use Navigation, then go back to your new iOS6 and tell me how great Apple is again. I'm convinced most iPhone lovers have simply never tried Android. I enjoy my iPad, but I would never use the garbage called "maps" on it, Apple or otherwise.

The irony here? Most iPhone users have never used Gmaps on Android so they have no idea how terrible maps is on their device. Gmaps on my iPad3 was garbage even before this horrific "update".

Seriously. Pick up a GS3 and use Navigation, then go back to your new iOS6 and tell me how great Apple is again. I'm convinced most iPhone lovers have simply never tried Android. I enjoy my iPad, but I would never use the garbage called "maps" on it, Apple or otherwise.

I agree. Apple never got the "real" Google maps app that Android had.

With the lack of voice turn by turn I never used the old google powered iOS Maps app.

I don't know how many people really used it on a regular basis. I think they just wanted something to complain about.

At least the new app has voice turn by turn that actually makes it useful for driving. I used it today on my cross town hospital rounds and it was no better and no worse than any of my TomTom or Garmin standalone devices. And none of those other devices label building names on their maps.

For people complaining that the satellite imagery over their town is cloudy... Does anyone really use the satellite image mode for navigation?

If you want to look at satellite images I believe Google Earth is still free in the app store.

Everybody like looking at satellite but nobody really uses it. People just want to get to their destination on time and without confusion.

I really wish iOS6 maps had been better; I would likely have bought the iPhone 5 had it been. Maybe by iPhone 7 they will get their act together using customer feedback.

Everybody like looking at satellite but nobody really uses it. People just want to get to their destination on time and without confusion.

I really wish iOS6 maps had been better; I would likely have bought the iPhone 5 had it been. Maybe by iPhone 7 they will get their act together using customer feedback.

Well, it's version 1... It's certain that they will improve it over time.

As a navigation app for turn by turn it IS decent. It's not gong to make me want to discard my Navigon app but with voice directions it's obviously better than the old silent iOS app for purely navi purposes.

However, as a 2D paper map replacement the Apple version pales in comparison to the old Google map data.

But for this, there is the online version of Google Maps. If you go to maps.google.com in your iPhone browser it will ask if you want to add a shortcut icon onto your iPhone desktop. Click yes and it'll add an icon called Google Maps that you can use to directly access Google Maps.

8016842140_3d199b5e14_z.jpg

8016839939_26bd8c8421_z.jpg

This online version works just like a standalone app allowing you to pinch an zoom on the map, add and subtract layers, search for POIs, and calculate routes with a turn list and distances.

If iOS users miss the public transit info from the old iOS app they should look at the excellent free app HopStop.

http://hopstop.it/f-ios

8016928974_3c301a04a9_z.jpg

It'll give you a trip itinerary for public transport from point A to point B. you can select from a mix of subway/rail, bus, walking, taxi, or bicycle. It also provides departure times and ETAs.

Last edited:
Jobs did release Ping. And the Mac Cube. But all in all, Apple and Jobs batting average is pretty damn good I'd say.

Last edited:
It now appears to be the appropriate time to post this

8020221656_1541168541_o.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Best information ever on adding the link to the iphone through Google.

I for one really hate the new mapping system. When I type in coffee all it does is bring up starbucks and it leaves out the little local drive through expresso guy and some coffee bean and tea leaf. THERE IS SO STREET VIEW!!! I used this all the time.
The routing is better and the 3d maps are kick ass. The data base is just no where near as extensive as google and it shows ... bad.

Back