• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you buy the new Spoon NSX-R?

Would you buy the new Spoon NSX-R?

• Yes!

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 15.7%

• Total voters
Quote, originally posted by some guy on nsxprime »
Originally Posted by Vancehu
View honda-tech.com Post
Approximate MSRP from Honda:
NSX-R Hood: $12,000
NSX-R Spoiler: $6,700
NSX-R Floor Mats: $650
NSX-R Gauge Cluster: $2,500
NSX-R ECU: $2,700
NSX-R Seats with power rails: $13,500
NSX-R Interior carpeting and Roof liner: $2,500
NSX-R Final Driver: $800
NSX-R Badges/Emblems/Door Sill/Engine plate and Cover: $1,000
NSX-R Mesh Engine Cover: $1,200
NSX-R Wheels: $8,000
NSX-R RE070 Tires: $1,200
NSX-R Suspension: $3,200
NSX-R Shift Knob: $200
NSX-R Shift Boot: $65
NSX-R Air Duct: $750
NSX-R Chassis/Sway Bars: $400
NSX-R DBW Thorttle: $1,200
NSX-R ECU Harness: $3,500
NSX-R Aluminum color Interior Trim: $3,500
Total: $65565

$59,008 after 10% discount on parts
$8,000 Labor

Plus a base model NA2 Couple.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2370571

LOL That was a funny link! Hey how does one get that 10% discount:biggrin:

Fuzzy math is good for a $10K discount;-)

I'm still waiting for an independent journalist to sit in an NSX-R and confirm that they are, indeed, the most comfortale automotive seats in the world, as those inflicted with TRE (TypeR Envy) would have us believe.

Maybe I should send my NSX to Honda and have them make a one-of-a-king-Glickenhaus/Ferrari-type NSX...

attachment.php

(photoshop)

Attachments

• 1000001 copyw.jpg
    1000001 copyw.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 661
Fuzzy math is good for a $10K discount;-)

I'm still waiting for an independent journalist to sit in an NSX-R and confirm that they are, indeed, the most comfortale automotive seats in the world, as those inflicted with TRE (TypeR Envy) would have us believe.

Maybe I should send my NSX to Honda and have them make a one-of-a-king-Glickenhaus/Ferrari-type NSX...

attachment.php

(photoshop)

LOL I gotta tell you Major I do want those seats in a bad way! If they made them in blue I'd be in a wordl of pain. Only prices I've seen are the ones Vance posted. I asked my Spoon contact and he just said "very expensive" :frown:

View honda-tech.com Post

$8,000 Labor

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2370571

That's some pricey parts. Yikes! Can't you get a pair of RECARO seats for $2,000. And do you really need $650 floor mats and $2,500 in Interior carpeting and Roof liner?

Some of these prices seem absurd.

The seats might be reasonable enough for exotic light-weight carbon kevlar with alcantara covers (?). That supposedly includes power rails. Power? Really?

$650 for floor mats sounds a bit loco. The shift knob sounds twice as expensive as it should be (just get an FD2 Civic Type-R 6-speed ball with red letters instead?). etc.

Well seems like some of that 23 that answered yes actually have placed orders for a Spoon. I wonder why they're being so quiet about it:confused:

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=796872

I'm glad they have one coming and can't wait for their posts. I really hope they're Prime members.

id buy one if i had the money. first off you're not only geting a "nsx-r" but you're getting a spoon nsx. that in itself is a big deal. secondly now after reading the artical in one of my various bathroom bound magazines...its the first car that spoon has turbo charged. they claim they are going to make that rear scoop in the rear functional. my question is...since they are going to replace everything on the car.....what would you be able to take off and keep? do they rebuild your motor or put a new one in...is there a core? what do they do with your front end and all the other stuff. when you think about it if you were able to keep your 02 front conversion...fenders quarter panels rear glass possibly motor and tranny...think of the money that you would be able to recoupe. 120k doesnt sound too bad ... the car has always been beautiful and now has the spoon touch. still a rare car ...super exclusive and if they make that ugly 2010 nsx prototype i would much rather have the spoon car lol.

bill

I was just at Spoon’s Type One shop earlier this week and they are in the process of assembling five of these right now. Some of this might have been covered already but here are the facts I got directly from the owner of Spoon:

This is a joint venture between Honda and Spoon. In fact, Spoon is using brand new, leftover, U.S.-spec, unpainted “white bodies” that came directly from Honda, meaning they are LHD, have legitimate VIN numbers, and can be registered in the U.S. and driven. I think only one of them was RHD and is bound for someplace else.

At the moment, Spoon is only building five. There are no plans to build any more until these sell.

The chassis are brand new but not all of the parts are. One that we shot looked immaculate but had door panels that looked like they came off of a worn-out ’91.

The engines are blueprinted and balanced by Spoon.

Buyers can customize these pretty much any way they want but chassis with the base NSX-R modifications and the blueprinted engines start at $120K.

The hatch scoop is not functional on the ones they are currently building.

The painting is done at Honda’s factory, prior to Spoon receiving the car, per the customer’s specifications.

Walking around their shop I saw two sets of NSX-R seats besides the ones that were installed in the cars and at least four C-series blocks in the engine room. Yes, they are serious about this.

I was just at Spoon’s Type One shop earlier this week and they are in the process of assembling five of these right now. Some of this might have been covered already but here are the facts I got directly from the owner of Spoon:

This is a joint venture between Honda and Spoon. In fact, Spoon is using brand new, leftover, U.S.-spec, unpainted “white bodies” that came directly from Honda, meaning they are LHD, have legitimate VIN numbers, and can be registered in the U.S. and driven. I think only one of them was RHD and is bound for someplace else.

At the moment, Spoon is only building five. There are no plans to build any more until these sell.

The chassis are brand new but not all of the parts are. One that we shot looked immaculate but had door panels that looked like they came off of a worn-out ’91.

The engines are blueprinted and balanced by Spoon.

Buyers can customize these pretty much any way they want but chassis with the base NSX-R modifications and the blueprinted engines start at $120K.

The hatch scoop is not functional on the ones they are currently building.

The painting is done at Honda’s factory, prior to Spoon receiving the car, per the customer’s specifications.

Walking around their shop I saw two sets of NSX-R seats besides the ones that were installed in the cars and at least four C-series blocks in the engine room. Yes, they are serious about this.

Man I really want one of these but it's a different story each time. First they we're going to convert RHD NSXs by stripping them to the bone and building them from the ground up into NSX-Rs and also offering US customers a total conversion of their current car into an NSX-R. Then they we're going to use left over NSX-R chassis then another guy just posted that they told him at the Tokyo Auto show they were going to use NA1 chassis ( which doesn't have the better aluminum of the NA2 or the better rigidity ) and now what they told you.

They need to give something definite if they really want to sell these! I've asked Edmun to post something on Prime but maybe it was too early and he didn't have any concrete details at the time.

I've talked to Edmun myself about this (posted his response somewhere here in Prime). But like he told me they will wait and see what the market crisis does before commiting more $$$ and resources.

I think they are smart starting with 5 cars and then seeing if they are sold or how the demand is. Plus we don't know if Honda is doing this at a substantial savings to Spoon or what so perhaps the risk isn't all that bad on Spoons part.

Wingz - what's a loan of $120k cost? Hehe...do it!:tongue:

I've talked to Edmun myself about this (posted his response somewhere here in Prime). But like he told me they will wait and see what the market crisis does before commiting more $$$ and resources.

I think they are smart starting with 5 cars and then seeing if they are sold or how the demand is. Plus we don't know if Honda is doing this at a substantial savings to Spoon or what so perhaps the risk isn't all that bad on Spoons part.

Wingz - what's a loan of $120k cost? Hehe...do it!:tongue:

I completely understand them being cautious due to the market however they need to tell people something concrete. There are too many "They told me or I heard from the top guy versions hitting prime". Another thing is price which seems to keep jumping all over the place. True the yen is hurting the exchange rate but pricing still needs to be confirmed if your order or buy one

I'm pretty sure Honda is giving Spoon a good price or Spoon wouldn't have brought this to light. Plus Hondas hurting and these are paid for parts just sitting in a warehouse costing them money in storage space so why not get rid of it.

The message on Opak racing answering machine said they'd be back on the 14th so I'll call Edmun today and see if I can get some concrete info. I'm a big fan of this project so I'd like to make sure that others who maybe are interested don't get scared from this seeming to flighty.

I'll also ask when the Spoon Sports catalog will be updated to show Spoon NSX parts.

Better ask Vancehu about the loan as that's who I'm asking:biggrin:

Alright guys I just got off the phone with Edmun at Opak racing to confirm details and apparently their are two phases with these projects.

Phase 1 is the car seen at the Tokyo auto salon. It is in fact a NA1 chassis with a 3.0 engine. This all Honda had left for actual chassis and they will indeed have Honda NSX vins. All exterior and interior parts will be NA2 NSX-R OEM parts. The brakes and suspension are Spoon. The exhaust is NA2 NSX-R as well. The engine will be producing about 300hp and is Spoon blue printed and balanced. Before anyone gets upset about the HP number weight is another issue and I'm waiting as Edmun is going to be getting back to me on it. He said though it maybe around 2200lbs:eek:

Phase 2 begins once the first five cars are sold and will be the converting of customer cars to NSX-R specs. No cost yet as they have to see how these sell.

I'll admit I was a little disappointed until he told me that weight. That car would be insane at that weight! I sure hope that's possible.

Last edited:
that is why I am getting a z06. I was going to get one this week but they sold it.

Can't blame you. Great deals on them I've seen them as low as $35k. Can't beat that!

Can't blame you. Great deals on them I've seen them as low as $35k. Can't beat that!

yeah the one i was going to get was 2006 z06 for 38k. But he sold it the very next day. I am still looking for one. 505HP car that actually looks good for around 40k is a super good deal. I am so looking to see my garage with the 2 nsx's and a z06 in there. A dream come true.

2200lbs

how is that posible without making it look like crap inside. I have to see this because its just not very realistic to me. People who have got there NSX to around 2600bls have made there cars look like thay were striped. If they get it to 2200bls I will want to know what they did.

yeah the one i was going to get was 2006 z06 for 38k. But he sold it the very next day. I am still looking for one. 505HP car that actually looks good for around 40k is a super good deal. I am so looking to see my garage with the 2 nsx's and a z06 in there. A dream come true.

Dude nice dream just don't forget to show us pics:biggrin:

2200lbs

how is that posible without making it look like crap inside. I have to see this because its just not very realistic to me. People who have got there NSX to around 2600bls have made there cars look like thay were striped. If they get it to 2200bls I will want to know what they did.

As do I. Just have to wait and see. Hell I've waited this long.

View honda-tech.com Post

$8,000 Labor

Autotrader has a 2001 Red with black roof coupe.
So someone buy it and build it!

Guys they weren't kidding it's 400lbs lighter than a NSX-R:eek::eek:

F*ck me! You can even get a 350 3.5 liter version ..at 2200LBS has everything but stereo!
http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=809938&page_number=1#809938

Vamp I'm sorry but at 2200lbs and 350 hp the Z06 won't be a match for that! That's almost 1000lbs lighter than our stock NSXs

Well that is light. But I still want to get the z06. I love the NSX that is why i have 2 of them. The thing is that I would have to see the spoon NSX go up with the Z06 to see if its actually going to be worth the money.
The problem I have with it is the price. for that price I could get a Z06 and make one of my NSX's as light as a spoon nsx plus make it 500hp or more. On top of that I will still have money left over to go track both cars.

Well that is light. But I still want to get the z06. I love the NSX that is why i have 2 of them. The thing is that I would have to see the spoon NSX go up with the Z06 to see if its actually going to be worth the money.
The problem I have with it is the price. for that price I could get a Z06 and make one of my NSX's as light as a spoon nsx plus make it 500hp or more. On top of that I will still have money left over to go track both cars.

That would be a nice race. Has anyone built something like this for less including the cost of a new NSX? Vance , Anil even Turbo2Go have spent this amount maybe more including the price of their car. It's probably cheaper to buy an old beat up car and redo it , but having a brand new one built by a proven race car company balances out the price to me.

Don't get me wrong it's not like I'm writing a check as we speak ..LOL

Kinda stuck with what to do with my current NSX that I've invested quite a bit into plus my CR. I want the Spoon badly but what to do with those:frown:

Oh yeah Vamp did you see this?

Not mentioned in the video is that over 3000 points of reinforcements was made to the body for more chassis rigidity.
http://drive.gtchannel.com/?c=127&a=1588

Back