• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you paint your NSX a different Color?

Being as my car is Green I have recently thought about fixing up the paint on it either as a repaint or color it a different color from the NSX color code. There seems to be certain colors that get more attention than others. On the top side are in no particular order:
Imola Orange, Long Beach Blue Pearl, Grand Prix White and Rio Yellow

The Black, Red and Sibring Silver are the most common colors and they seem to be right in the middle of demand. It won't scare people off but it won't make someone die to have your car.

On top of all this I will just say it. If my car was GPW or LBBP I would likely keep it forever. That Blue is an amazing color. I have always liked the white more and more. It is durable in the sun and wheels seem to always look good on it. I know I asked this before but I wasn't really that serious about it. Part of me at some point would have sold this nsx to buy a different color nsx that I really wanted however there are some issues with that rationale.
First off, the $$ in mods and changes I have made to this car has made it exactly as I want it. Between Engine, suspension and interior changes. Second, several colors seem to request a premium when buying them. So I don't know if people are paying some of those prices OR that is just what they are asking for the car.

To me the Brooklands Green is nice but not outstanding. After helping out with NSXPO I really got a taste of what the colors look like up close. Every NSX was a little different and it was very cool to see that. The top two colors I am considering are White and Long Beach Blue Pearl. The blue is very similar to my BMW's paint scheme which I love. A Pearl White would be pretty slick as well.

Anyway, part of what makes me want to do this is the clearcoat is worn thin on several areas and the car has some rock chips that need addressing. I am very curious whether others have considered this and if you did than what you thought afterwards.

I thought about changing my Berlina Black 91 to Championship White (and doing the whole NA2 R upgrade) when I first got it, but I really love the Black so I decided to keep it- black and ivory looks cool. :) If you intend to keep your car like me, then I see no problem painting it. Brooklands is a very rare color, so you will be killing your resale value. But, who cares if you're keeping the car!

As for the color, I've always been of the mind that if you decide to take the plunge to re-color your NSX, why not explore some of the incredible JDM-only colors? For example, I think Neutron White Pearl is amazing. They had some really nice colors that were not available here in the US. You might want to think about them... I have to say that LBBP was my favorite blue until I saw Monte Carlo Blue. MCB is simply stunning. I do like Imola too.

Being as my car is Green I have recently thought about fixing up the paint on it either as a repaint or color it a different color from the NSX color code. There seems to be certain colors that get more attention than others. On the top side are in no particular order:

The Black, Red and Sibring Silver are the most common colors and they seem to be right in the middle of demand. It won't scare people off but it won't make someone die to have your car.

On top of all this I will just say it. If my car was GPW or LBBP I would likely keep it forever. That Blue is an amazing color. I have always liked the white more and more. It is durable in the sun and wheels seem to always look good on it. I know I asked this before but I wasn't really that serious about it. Part of me at some point would have sold this nsx to buy a different color nsx that I really wanted however there are some issues with that rationale.
First off, the $$ in mods and changes I have made to this car has made it exactly as I want it. Between Engine, suspension and interior changes. Second, several colors seem to request a premium when buying them. So I don't know if people are paying some of those prices OR that is just what they are asking for the car.

To me the Brooklands Green is nice but not outstanding. After helping out with NSXPO I really got a taste of what the colors look like up close. Every NSX was a little different and it was very cool to see that. The top two colors I am considering are White and Long Beach Blue Pearl. The blue is very similar to my BMW's paint scheme which I love. A Pearl White would be pretty slick as well.

Anyway, part of what makes me want to do this is the clearcoat is worn thin on several areas and the car has some rock chips that need addressing. I am very curious whether others have considered this and if you did than what you thought afterwards.

I had my green NSX repainted green. I would have loved to make it white or silver, but the additional cost to paint the engine compartment, front trunk, etc made it not practical.

If you're starting with a black car, I can see painting it a different color but leaving the compartments black. Wouldn't look right with green though.

+1 on what Honcho was saying about the JDM-only colors. While first researching the NSX I wanted to know what color offerings there were. I was jealous when I saw the JDM options.:frown: I mean, I like my FR and all, but IMO the (don't know the names) dark graphite, pearl white & dark red metallic are the business! As stated before, don't know what plans you have for the car, but if I were in your position I would change the color to my liking just as long it was a factory option in either market. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I say keep it original color the brooklands green is hard to find.

but like Honcho said some of the JDM only colors are bad ass. and you would be near/ or close to the only one in the states with that color ya know jdm I mean

but its your car so what ever you want ya know.

It would be a toss up between Imola Orange or LBBP. I think painting a coupe in the desirable T top only colors would not hurt the value at all if the paint job was well documented and you had proof that the vehicle was not in a wreck prior to it having a color change.

Im not a fan of green. #1 keep it original, save your money and buy the color your heart desires when the time is right. The amount of money it will take you to paint properly to your desired color will be greater than you selling your car and buying one that you like..

Im not a fan of green. #1 keep it original, save your money and buy the color your heart desires when the time is right. The amount of money it will take you to paint properly to your desired color will be greater than you selling your car and buying one that you like..

Only true if the you wanted that color that is available in that body/engine combo. It is impossible to find any blue or orange colored coupes with pop up headlights. Painting will be a great option for people who care about the stiff chassis and lightness of the coupe but always wanted it in a Targa only color. The coupes came with very limited color, only formula red, sebring silver, berlina black, champion white, and brooklands green pearl. Any other color your forced to buy a targa.

If I was to paint my coupe ( The thought had crossed my mind many times ) I would paint it either Monaco Blue Pearl, Imola Orange, or Long Beach Blue Pearl. Extremely rare colors on Targa topped cars and non existent on coupes. This would make the car some what more desirable to the right person. Also be prepared to pay close to $8K to do the job right.

Last edited:
Only true if the you wanted that color that is available in that body/engine combo. It is impossible to find any blue or orange colored coupes with pop up headlights. Painting will be a great option for people who care about the stiff chassis and lightness of the coupe but always wanted it in a Targa only color. The coupes came with very limited color, only formula red, sebring silver, berlina black, champion white, and brooklands green pearl. Any other color your forced to buy a targa.

If I was to paint my coupe ( The thought had crossed my mind many times ) I would paint it either Monaco Blue Pearl, Imola Orange, or Long Beach Blue Pearl. Extremely rare colors on Targa topped cars and non existent on coupes. This would make the car some what more desirable to the right person. Also be prepared to pay close to $8K to do the job right.

8 grand is alot of money. Selling the brooklands green and adding 8-12 grand will put u in the price range of 97+ where most of those colors are available. A stock colored nsx is like a lizard with its original tail. Once the nsx changes its color, its like a lizard with a crooked tail.

Here are a couple responses to items mentioned. First off, Green may be limited in number but it is not popular. IF I sold my car as it stands now and tried to get the same car with similar options I would spend close to 8-9k more to get a better color combo I would guess. Part of that is the better colors only came out in Targas or NA2 cars. Those automatically fetch another $7-8k more. My car has a Comptech Supercharger pushing 390whp+ it has non-compliance parts and a set of KW V3's. I have a Camp 2 screen on my Navpod that holds all of my gauges in a very nice clean look, almost stock. It would be an absolute waste to sell it and buy another different color car. I have modded my car very well over the past year to make it track ready. In fact most people spend too much on mods that make it hard to let go after holding onto the car for so long. However, I did consider it at one point.

The engine bay is the hardest part to get painted correctly for the new paint IMO. That is what makes it tough. I really think if my car was one of the listed colors(if done right) I would never sell it. I know my wife won't want to hear that but it is true. At the moment I would not say that. Brooklands Green just doesn't pop and stand out like other colors. The Lime Green from Japan is better. It is loud but honestly isn't that what we are going for? I honestly think if the paint job was done right and I got a good color choice that it would increase resale value.

8 grand is alot of money. Selling the brooklands green and adding 8-12 grand will put u in the price range of 97+ where most of those colors are available. A stock colored nsx is like a lizard with its original tail. Once the nsx changes its color, its like a lizard with a crooked tail.

Again your missing the point that some people would not want a targa. I would almost never buy a targa because the chassis is not as stiff and its a heavier car. A Imola Orange coupe done right will fetch decent money, not that the owner would ever want to sell it by choice. Also orange never came on USDM nsx's until 2002, which again brings the cost up to over 50K for one, and you will still be stuck with a targa.

If you were to paint it red, silver, or black, then it would be stupid since you can just go out and buy another one. Also to wrap a car it will cost around $3K, and it will never have that depth of shine in the paint like a real paint job. The edges will also start to peel over time. Not worth it imo.

Last edited:
No opinion about one color or another(LBBP! LBBP!), but I will say this: If you go from green to white, the temp difference inside the car after sitting in the Vegas sun will be surprising. That dark green really soaks up the rays.
Of course, you’d probably want the canopy black, so … never mind.

I originaly bought my car because of what was in it. I hated the color (green). my thoughts when I bought it was to change the color, but some people said it would be a shame if I did it because my car was the demo, green with tan combo. Sent from honda to the u.s. to see if the u.s. would be interested in that combo, then given to comptech for R&D, then used as a track car for a couple years where the interior and exterior where baddly worn. most of the interior has been changed to black, and now i'm looking at the paint.

As long as you are painting your car, why not add some sort hood art. Might I suggest a half naked woman, holding swords, posing or riding some sort of fierce animal like a tiger or dragon?

As long as you are painting your car, why not add some sort hood art. Might I suggest a half naked woman, holding swords, posing or riding some sort of fierce animal like a tiger or dragon?

LOL....... That would make it look like something from the 80's:eek:...........:tongue:

LOL....... That would make it look like something from the 80's:eek:...........:tongue:

Heavy Metal comics baby!!

Doing a vinyl wrap is expensive. It is almost the price of a repaint. Bryan, you should know better. After saying to me, "it ain't easy being green." the day after I bought the car.

Green is rare but just being rare doesn't make it worth more always. It has to be in demand.

The person who made the point about the colors with the coupes brings up an excellent point. Most of the great colors weren't available until the NA2 or mostly Targa group of cars. Targa cars are mostly for show and less for go. They are nice but not as good for driving and handling.

Your Lime Green (GY-19M) idea is a good one- if you're gonna have a green NSX, it better be GREEN. :) I kind of like the Imola option too- it was a Type-S only color in Japan and to have a Coupe that color here in the US would make the car extremely rare and collectible. There is also Platinum White Pearl (NH-609P), which if you like white would give your NSX the combo of white plus that awesome pearlescent clear coat.

No matter what you decide, please have it done right, i.e., strip the chassis and spray the whole thing down, as if OEM. :) As some have said, this may actually increase the value of the car depending on the color you choose.

I regret painting my car the original color (Black) after seeing an Imola Orange in person. I almost fell over because it looked soooooo nice and have been drooling over the idea of having that color since. Black looks like crap 30 minutes after you clean it.

Arrrghhh..I should have done in Imola damn it!

can't go wrong with black/yellow .......turbo2go loves it.:wink:

Back