• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Powertrain WTB: Crank Cylinder Sensor (aka Cam timing sensor)

I have a used one that was working prior to being removed, because the "black tar stuff" was leaking.

LMK

Bram

Thank you Bram, I have that same issue with mine. It is still working but has that black tar stuff, which is why I want to replace it before failure.

Do you know if that black tar is coming from the sensor itself? It sounds like this may be common?

How much do you want for the sensor? Thanks, Brian

Hey Brian...ok, so your sensor is probably in the same state as the one I have....as far as I know the Black Tar was use to protect the sensor from the heat from the engine, so it may affect the sensor over time is the tar is not present. This is a common issue with most early NSX, however, I'm not aware of any failures because of the running tar....folks don't like the look of it.

I don't think buying my sensor would make sense, because it is the same state as your.....If your sensor failed, then this would be a good replacement, if you cannot source a new one.

Bram

Hey Brian...ok, so your sensor is probably in the same state as the one I have....as far as I know the Black Tar was use to protect the sensor from the heat from the engine, so it may affect the sensor over time is the tar is not present. This is a common issue with most early NSX, however, I'm not aware of any failures because of the running tar....folks don't like the look of it.

I don't think buying my sensor would make sense, because it is the same state as your.....If your sensor failed, then this would be a good replacement, if you cannot source a new one.

Bram

Wow, I wish I'd joined this forum earlier! What great information Bram. Thank you so much for sharing! This is a big help (and a bit of a relief). Thanks, Brian

Thank you all for the quick support and information. My local dealer is going to go get the cam sensor and a water pump at O'Riley to get my beloved NSX back on the road. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks!

Wow $785 for that is highway robbery. :eek:

It's $150 from Honda Japan, still less than $200 after shipping.

The black tar stuff is not indicative of impending failure, it's the potting material melting and dripping down, it's just what the early ones did. I'd much rather run an old one vs spending almost $800 on a replacement.

Last edited:
Looks like the sensor ranges from $74 to $255 on RockAuto. The factory sensor is preferable but the others will do in a pinch.

The black tar stuff is not indicative of impending failure, it's the potting material melting and dripping down, it's just what the early ones did. I'd much rather run an old one vs spending almost $800 on a replacement.
Hello.
Please, can you give me a link of Honda Japan shop? I need new camshaft sensor. Thank you.

Is this shop you are talking about? https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/37840pr7a02

Back