• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XM Radio...Anyone using it yet?

I have been seeing this new satellite radio
and wondering if anyone is using this service in their NSX and if so how does it sound?
It seems like it should be a good deal.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

Originally posted by NSXTC:
I have heard good things about it...only NSX-related issue of concern is fitment of the standard (din) sized head unit into the dash.

Someone posted to the mailing list a week or so ago that they had installed it and liked it. His e-mail is [email protected]

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by NSXTC:
I have heard good things about it...only NSX-related issue of concern is fitment of the standard (din) sized head unit into the dash.

Pioneer makes an XM radio module that can be mounted in the trunk and uses FM modulation to connect to your existing head unit. While this may not give the absolute best sound, it wouldn't require modifying the dash.

The only bad thing about XM radio is how you have to pay $10/month and it's dependance on a a single company. It will not be easy to convince most consumers to pay a monthly fee to listen to radio because it's not something they're used to having to pay for. With so many companies going bankrupt these days, I would be a bit concerned about the longevity of XM radio.

Note that a competitor to XM radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, plans to launch their service this Feburary. See http://www.siriusradio.com

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 16 December 2001).]

BB,
I disagree that it will be that difficult to convince consumers to pay a monthly charge if they are offering a substantially better product. The same was probably said about cable TV 20 years ago, who would pay for cable when they can watch tv from an antennae for free? I couldn't imagine being without my Direct TV! I think they might have to come up with some other thing to make it work better though. For example I sometimes enjoy Talk radio, but the amount of commercials on most of the shows now days makes me listen to my CD. I think a national talk radio show without commercials will be something else we will see on satellite. I also don't think they will be limited by censorship like the current stations, so they will reach entirely new markets also.

I am not sure how long it will take for this new technology to become popular with the masses, but I believe it will.

I agree with you about waiting to see if the company is going to be in it for the long haul before buying anything though. I also think they should have a yearly subscription for $99. Who wants to worry about sending in $10 every month?

I just started looking in to it. Still not sure if it will take off. If they offer a decent subscription rate for multiple units, it will help. What they really need is for OEM radios to included XM/Sirius reception as a freebee. That'll drive subscription rates up in a hurry.

I hope they succeed. When we had DSS we used the music channels more than any other. The opportunity to receive clear, commercial free music, on familiar channels, anywhere in the country, with song titles…, is very appealing. I may not upgrade the cars, right away, but I think I'll own a home unit soon.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800

XM is going to be the next cable, DSL, Direct TV. Radio without comnmercials, I'll pay for that. Uncensored music and talk (Howard Stern). XM will be my first mod after the basch SC...
smile.gif

Also watch the stock on this one. One day at my old company the Phone Guy was there. My co worker came in and said "that guy is a millionare." I said "what!?" He said "Yeah, he invested in cable when it forst came out."

You get my drift... XMSR and SIRI are the stock sings for each. Watch Them closely.

It has been several months since the last post on this subject. Does anybody have any updates on XM installations in NSX's?

bump.
I'm thinking about getting XM radio, but don't know anyone with it. Anyone with first hand experience think its worth it?
Thanks
Mike

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418

Several people talk about XM radio as "radio without comnmercials." Have you guys actually looked into this product? IT DOES HAVE COMMERCIALS. No thanks.

Yes, a portion of the programming available does have commercials, but there are many channels that do not have commercials. If you have CD direct from DishNetworks or the CD channels on Direct TV, the music channels are very much the same as those music only channels on XM. They also offer news and sports only channels. The best thing to do is visit their web site or a local retailer to see what programming is available. Installation and integration to the factory head unit can be done using several diferent companies products.

Dave
www.xmradio.com

I've read a lot about XM and I'm very impressed with it. The biggest advantage is the variety of programming. If you want to listen to comedy, or reggae, or news analysis, or any of a hundred different channels, each unique and (as I've read) extremely well selected and presented for its genre, it's supposed to be great. And you can receive it driving long distances through rural areas, where the choices of available stations on conventional radio are limited.

The website does give a pretty good flavor for what you'll find on each of the channels.

Back