• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yellow NSX Crash on Palomar Drive (Part II) JH4NA2169YT000265

Sorry dude.. that sucks bad. I guess no injuries is what really matters though. I always think that its really tough to roll a car.. maybe I'll think twice.

I'm actually suprised the county didnt have a rail there or something. On a decent curve you would think they would.

Yes, I agree that although I suspect this car is quite repairable you must examine it so carefully. (yes I have been caught). as far as the extension of the wheels - the problem is we've all seen cars upside down so why does this one catch our eye? The answer is in the suspension design. With a wheel rate approaching 1:1 (spring/shock unit mounted near vertical and very outboard on the lower control arm)the shock and spring must provide almost as much movement as the total suspension movement from full compression to full droop. The wheel rate refers to effective spring rate which results from position of spring along the length of the control arm. If the spring was mounted perfectly vertical and attached to the control arm in line with the centreline of the tire, the wheel rate would be one to one. ie 700lb spring has exactly 700lb of effect. changes to position and angle of spring alters this by changing simple order of levers and length of stroke respectively. With the car inverted this type of design means that the spring only has to support the weight of the suspension corner. The weight isn't multiplied by the leverage that would exist if the spring were mounted in the middle of the control arm. This means that the spring has no trouble extending to almost its full length. This also requires of course that there is no other method of restricting suspension droop (shorter shocks acting half way down the control arm sometimes arrest suspension droop themselves) It is not hard to imagine that if this car was still in its inverted position with its springs removed it would be much easier to lift the suspension assemblies at the wheel than half way down the control arm. sorry for the long winded post !

Back