• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Yokohama ADVAN Neova for 17/17?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
I was looking to grab some ultra high-performance, high-performance level of tires for my 17x7, 17x9 wheels...

This time around, I wanted to go away from the Bridgestone's (RE010, RE050, S03). I was considering the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, as they have alot of sizes and priced reasonably well.

My first choice of-course would have been the near-impossible to find Yokohama A-022H . Now that there is an auction for a voucher towards a set of Yokohama tires (a noble gesture by sponsors, vendors, and volunteers to help out w/ NSXPO 2005) I can consider their new ADVAN Neova line of tires.

However, the sizes are slim pickin's as of yet!

[F] 17x7 my options would be...
*205/50/R17
*225/45/R17

[R] 17x9 my options would be...
*245/40/R17
*255/40/R17

Anyone have any comments/experience/insights about these tires (particularly for my setup, aformentioned above)...

Yokohama ADVAN Neova

neova.jpg

Another tread-pattern?

tb_a10.jpg

More info...
http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/ADVANNeovaBulletin.pdf

You certainly are wise to try and take advantage of the eBay auction for the Yokohama tires as it is the perfect opportunity to get some new tires and help a good cause. IMO, it is one of the most appealing items up for auction, particularly for those people running larger tire sizes.

The ADVAN Neova's are so new that I'm not sure if anyone has any practical experience with them. However, I can tell you that in my dealings with Yokohama and securing the gift certificate I did have the opportunity to speak with their representative about these new tires. He seemed genuinely excited about the tire and optimistic as to its success in the marketplace.

I've used the Yokohama A-022's previously in stock sizes and currently use the AVS Sport in 17/18 configuration. Both tires have been very satisfying, with the only knock on the A-022's is that their lifespan was definitely a bit shorter, but they certainly provide phenomenal grip. The AVS Sport has proven to be a superb performing tire for a reasonable price, making it in my eyes a very good value.

If the ADVAN Neova is anything like the other Yok's it would be a good bet. If I happen to pick up any further knowledge regarding the tires in my discussions with Yokohama I will certainly pass it along.

Good Luck in your bidding!!

sounds good to me!

nsxhk said:
The new neova do come in 215/40/17. They stick like glue, you won't be disappointed.

Henry.

Henry, those are the things I wanted to hear: desired front-size for my wheels, and that they are very performance oriented...

Understudy, thanks for the insights! I'm rather keen now to go and see these somewhere in person. I found two different tread patterns online, I must say the 2nd pic attached above looks awesome (aggressive like the A-022H)! I also noticed they are OEM equipment for the Lotus Elise (staggered setting, side-specific), so are these basically evolution of the A-022H's? Also, are the newer ADVAN Sport tires (OEM for the Bentley Continental GT) an improved version of the previously available AVS Sport tires?

Osiris_x11 said:
This time around, I wanted to go away from the Bridgestone's (RE010, RE050, S03). I was considering the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, as they have alot of sizes and priced reasonably well.
The F1 GS-D3 is an excellent tire, one of the very best street tires available. And, as you noticed, it is priced less than the S-03, which is a nice bonus.

Osiris_x11 said:
I can consider their new ADVAN Neova line of tires.

However, the sizes are slim pickin's as of yet!

[F] 17x7 my options would be...
*205/50/R17
*225/45/R17
Neither of those front sizes will work on an NSX. They are both over 8 percent larger in outer diameter than stock, which means they will cause big problems with rubbing and with the traction control.

Unfortunately, the Advan Neova AD07 is not currently available in any size suitable for the front of an NSX. So my suggestion is to buy the gift certificate and either get AD07 tires for another vehicle, or A022H tires in the stock '91-93 15"/16" or '94-01 16"/17" sizes, or A032R track tires, etc.

nsxhk said:
The new neova do come in 215/40/17.
They might be available in that size in Hong Kong, but they're not in North America.

Understudy said:
I did have the opportunity to speak with their representative about these new tires. He seemed genuinely excited about the tire and optimistic as to its success in the marketplace.
We heard the same thing during the presentation by the Yokohama marketing representative at NSXPO 2004.

My guess is that Yokohama realized that they weren't selling a tire (in North America) as good as the best street tires from other brands (e.g. S-03, F1 GS-D3), and needed to bring in something to compete. Hence the AD07.

Osiris_x11 said:
are these basically evolution of the A-022H's? Also, are the newer ADVAN Sport tires (OEM for the Bentley Continental GT) an improved version of the previously available AVS Sport tires?
No and no. They are an all-new tire, designed to be able to be used on many different vehicles.

nsxhk said:
The chart below shows the AD07 is right up there with the A048 R compound tires.
To be honest, I'm not sure what that chart shows... I'm sure the AD07 is an excellent street tire, but I'm just as sure that it doesn't have the same performance characteristics as a track tire. Track tires have certain characteristics that make them great on the track, but don't work well for street use.

nsxhk said:
If you want, I can ship yo usome 215/40/17 ;)

Henry.

If you can get tires why not go Bridgestone Potenza RE070? If it's good enough for the NSXR it should be ok tires :biggrin:

gtr said:
If you can get tires why not go Bridgestone Potenza RE070? If it's good enough for the NSXR it should be ok tires :biggrin:

Reason for not getting RE070 is because they are hard to get and quite expensive.

Henry.

Since I'm looking at rear tires for my ride right now I read this with great interest. My calculations show that the 205/50/17 size is 6.15% larger than stock (215/45/16) and the 225/45/17 is 5.73% larger than stock. Someone said over 8% and I'm wondering where that came from.

My main question/concern is with traction control. What is the recommended max % figure for larger or smaller than stock? I bought the car with 245/45/17 on the rear, and I have noticed that my traction control doesn't do much. I have lost the rearend several times, once to almost 90 degrees. 245/45/17 only represents a 3.9% difference from stock. Am I smokin' something here?

buzrob said:
My calculations show that the 205/50/17 size is 6.15% larger than stock (215/45/16) and the 225/45/17 is 5.73% larger than stock. Someone said over 8% and I'm wondering where that came from.
Osiris has a '91, and 205/50-17 is 8.7 percent larger than the stock 205/50-15 size on the '91-93.

However, even 6.15 percent or 5.7 percent larger is significant. You run a significant chance of rubbing. And since you have the stock size rear tires, these sizes will cause problems with the TCS, which assumes that the ratio of the front to rear outer diameters is close to stock. All of those reasons are why 205/50-17 front tires are not a good choice for the NSX.

buzrob said:
What is the recommended max % figure for larger or smaller than stock?
You need to keep the ratio of the front to rear outer diameters within about 5 percent of stock. However, there are other factors that create variances (e.g. the difference in diameter due to the difference in tread between a new tire and a worn tire is about 2 percent) so you don't want to cut it too close.

buzrob said:
I have lost the rearend several times, once to almost 90 degrees.
If you lost the rear end, that's most likely because of driver error, not because of the wrong size tires. Even if the TCS activates, it shouldn't result in any abrupt difference in the car's handling, unless you are already "on the ragged edge" (in which case, it's driver error).

buzrob said:
245/45/17 only represents a 3.9% difference from stock.
That's enough to activate the TCS, when used with stock size front tires, if the fronts are worn more than the rears. However, again, activating the TCS because of the wrong size tires isn't likely to cause you to lose the rear end, only to make the light come on on the dash.

Incidentally, using tires that are 3.9 percent larger than stock will also result in slower acceleration. It's as though you changed your car to use taller gearing, like changing from the stock 4.062 final drive gear to one that has a 3.91 ratio.

The best thing to do to prevent the TCS from activating (except when it's supposed to, when the tires are actually slipping) is to use tires that are close to stock in outer diameter.

Back