• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Yokohama AVS ES100...comments?

time to replace tires...currently running dunlops 215/40/zr17F; 245/40/zr17R
read old posts of ppl getting 12-15k miles out of them..what would you guys suggest? thanks guys srry 4 repeating old thread

We put those on our IS300 after the OEM Potenza's died. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but...

Initially, I was very happy with the tires. They don't handle as well as the OEM Potenzas did but at the cost savings, I could live with it. However, after a few thousand miles the tires got very, very, very (get the point?) loud. To the point that they were really annoying.

Needless to say, I did not put them back on the car when the time came. And frankly, I didn't get that much more mileage out of them than I did the OEM Potenzas.

I used them for most of the time I had the white NSX. I felt they did a good job overall. They are not as sticky as the S03's on a track, but for everyday driving, they were fine. I did not realize how loud they were until I put the S03's on, but that is also comparing a totally worn tire to a brand new one.

I honestly would probably still consider them because they are a great bang for the buck.

I have the ES100 on my NSX and my Integra. I will also put them on my wife's Lexus this summer. I first tried them on my Integra (heck, for $45 each, why not?) and they work well. Given that the aspect ratio is 55 on the Integra wheel (using 195/55/15), the turn in response is a little soft, but the tires grip very well in the dry and in the wet. My positive experience with the Intregra prompted me to try them on my NSX for the front tires on a 17 inch rim. The rear tires are Yoko AVS Sport (will replace soon with AVS100). To my surprise, the front AVS100 tires grip well and the turn in response is much better than I expected (using a 215/40/17). Now, these tires are a great bang for the buck tire. They are not SO3 level or OEM level in terms of performance, but if you don't track your NSX, you probably won't notice. I think they are a great tire and since I personally like Yokohama tires, I'll keep using the AVS100s. Just remember, if you are coming from a very high performance tire, like OEM, and going to the AVS100, gradually work up to the handling limit. They WILL make the car handle differently - not badly, just differently, for example in terms of how fast you can take a corner, or how the car steers in the rain, etc.

I ran ES100s on my 325i and on my TL as summer rubber. They are a great value in a HP summer tire with decent if not great performance.

I don't run them on my NSX as I want something stickier. I prefer the Toyo T1S for a value NSX tire, but plan to move to something like an S03 or equivalent for my next set.

I'm using them on the Integra GS-R in the household. I mostly second what others have said. On dry pavement, their grip and handling are good, not as good as the OEM or other top-of-the-line tires, but okay. On wet pavement, they are excellent. They are dirt cheap and they last a long time (not that the Integra tire wear is comparable to the NSX - it isn't - but extrapolating from the wear so far after 16K miles, it looks like they might last 40K miles). As others have said, they're not great overall (if you care about overall performance), but they're great in terms of bang for the buck (when you factor in value).

If you're looking for something that is a step up in performance from the ES100, but still not as expensive as the other top-of-the-line tires, you might also consider the previously-mentioned Toyo T1-S or the Kumho Ecsta MX.

Uhh, I hate mine! Lots of tread squirm but wear exceptionally well.

RP-Motorsports said:
They are ALWAYS in my reccomendation to customers for a great budget tire.

In general, or for the NSX? I don't think they are a great choice for the NSX. On my daily, I love them and recommend them to all who ask, and even some who don't . . .

Yeah, in general probably not bad. They were decent on the M3 but caused the NSX to lose its' feel.

Steve said:
Yeah, in general probably not bad. They were decent on the M3 but caused the NSX to lose its' feel.
Yes, but the question to consider is, do you care about handling and feel, or not? If you don't care about handling and feel, and you care mostly about how much you pay for tires, get the ES100. If you DO care about handling and feel, and you don't care as much about how much you pay for tires, get the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H and Bridgestone RE010).

Personally, I bought the NSX specifically for the handling and feel (which is why I was willing to pay for an expensive sports car). I use (and love) the OEM tires on mine; they give GREAT handling and feel, even though they cost more and don't last as long. But others may not feel the same way.

awsome..thanks guys! had 2 keep dunlaps this time around to keep match front..def switching all out next time! what are the s03's?

dlynes said:
awsome..thanks guys! had 2 keep dunlaps this time around to keep match front..def switching all out next time! what are the s03's?

It is the Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position.

I'll post up my $.02

I posted this up when I got my new wheels and tires (Falken GR Beta FK451 tires) and got rid of my wheels with ES100 tires).......

The Falken GR Beta FK451 tires are actually pretty good. I've been driving on the Yokohama ES100 tires for the past 4 months on my old 16/17 OEM wheels and from the regular driving I do around town and on the LA freeways, I've noticed a few differences. Both are rated around the same for tread wear (280) but I noticed the ES100 tires feel like they're a harder tire. Thus, I can swing the back end out pretty easy with the Yoko tires and driving at high speeds on the freeway, banking and merging onto another freeway or even taking an on or offramp fast, the ES100 tires feel like they want to break loose on me and cause the car to slide. With the Falken tires, I've noticed that it feels more sticky and I can take the same banks/on & offramps at the same speed the and car feels much more solid going around the turns. This may just be me or my type of driving, or the fact that they're bigger/wider tires, but in my opinion for an everyday daily driver tire the Falken GR Beta FK451 tires seem to be a great choice, especially over the Yokamama ES100 tire.

For the most part, they're a good tire with good tread, but for me they just didn't feel that good on the NSX and felt a bit squirely at times. I'm not saying you should get the Falkens, but that was just my personal experience with both tires. After driving with both in the rain, they both feel about the same but the Falkens do seem to give me more traction in the rain..... either that or the 18/19" wheel setup doesn't allow me to break traction as easily :tongue:

I put those on my gf's MR-S.....good traction dry, soso in the rain (use caution)....treadwear soso....but its a bargain for such a cheap price.
If you're looking for dedicated spirited/track driving tires, don't even think about the ES100!!

freelance201 said:
I put those on my gf's MR-S.....good traction dry, soso in the rain (use caution)....treadwear soso....
That's funny; my experience with the ES100 is exactly the opposite. So-so traction dry, outstanding in the rain, treadwear excellent too.

nsxtasy said:
That's funny; my experience with the ES100 is exactly the opposite. So-so traction dry, outstanding in the rain, treadwear excellent too.

I have the same experience on my Integra with ES100.

I tried the ES100 on my NSX. Since my alignment (lowered) has -2.2 negative camber in the rear, I decided to go with less expensive tires to see how quickly they would wear out. I didn't want to spend too much on tires only to find out they would wear out in 3-4K miles. Now that I've had the ES100's on the car, I can say that they grip reasonably well, but don't have the performance tire feel that really belongs on the NSX. When these ES100's wear out, I'll replace them with a higher peformance tire. I'll keep them on my Integra and get them for my wife's Lexus, but not again for the NSX.

With 130K miles I've been through a few tires and have the ES100's right now--second set on the rear and for the money they are great but noisy. I had the Toyo T1S's earlier, and liked the Yoko's better and the Toyo's made even more noise than the noisy Yoko's. I drive too many miles to buy tires that last only 5K miles like the OEM's, even though I miss the quiet.

Back