York Regional Police and streetracing

I find this very disturbing.

A number of members of GTRCanada, the Skyline club have received the following PM. We're still trying to find out if this is legit.
Originally Posted by JimmyR-32
this is constable james rodney badge # 5561 of the york region police department.

1: Anyone caught going over 50km/hr car will be ours.
2: Anyone caught street racing . car will be crushed
3: Anyone caught drifting . car will be ours.

They will get charged and fined.
Also anyone caught with engine swapping or turbo swapping or any sort of illegal modification the car is ours. we will have a search warrant for every skyline.
We are recently talking with insurance companies.
we know HCR32 is rb20 stock.. anyone caught with rb25 or rb26 in it.. car will be ours.
BNR32 is a gtr with rb26. any one with a different engine than the rb26 . car will be ours
***ANY TURBO UPGRADES**** car will be ours

This is a warning. we know everthing about skylines.
we are watching.

I'm posting this here to see if anyone with connections to the police can confirm if this is legit or if what he is saying is permissible. I find it very unprofessional.

i will look into this as i know a few part of the York Regional Police Department

does not sound legit to me either

can you explain what exactly happened the other day where this is stemming from?

Oh come on. That has to be a joke.

Well, someone did call and it looks bogus. No one by that name or badge number.

i will look into this as i know a few part of the York Regional Police Department

does not sound legit to me either

can you explain what exactly happened the other day where this is stemming from?

There was an informal meeting of forum members in Commerce Gate on April 5th. Apparently 30 skylines showed up, people were chatting, some revved their engines, then everyone left for the night. On Hwy 7 cruisers, helecopters showed up and a roadblock occured. 3 Skylines, 2 porsches and *gasp* 1 paseo got pulled over and impounded for "organized street racing".

Pics at subaru club forum:
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110338

article in Torstar:
http://www.thestar.com/article/411239
Seven people were arrested and their wheels impounded after the sound of revving engines and squealing tires drew police to a Richmond Hill parking lot Saturday.

Police officers in an unmarked car visited a parking lot in the area of Hwy. 7 East and Leslie St. after callers reported these sounds signalling erratic driving.

Once at the lot, officers saw a group of 30 vehicles lined up in a way that appeared to be an organized race. The unmarked cruiser followed the vehicles westbound on Hwy. 7, joining the vehicles as they drove at high speeds, weaving in and out of traffic in what police describe to be a dangerous manner.

Soon marked cars and a helicopter from York Region swooped in, stopping the vehicles on Hwy. 7 just before Keele St.

Seven drivers were slapped with stunt driving charges and had their vehicles and licences taken away for a week.

The stunt driving charges apply under the Highway Traffic Act's new street racing provisions, which took effect Sept. 30, 2007 and under which drivers caught speeding more than 50 km per hour over the limit are charged under the street racing law.

Hani Gaber, 22, of Milton, Nicolca Cina, 33 of Etobicoke, Rodrigo Oliveira, 23, of Oakville Riyad Baksh, 27, of Brampton, Emanuel Valverde, 26, of North York, Edward Deosaran, 44, of Downsview and Mohammed Safraz, 30, of Brampton all face one count of stunt driving.

Oh wow, I didn't hear about this until now. I'd say the police are in the usual 'blitz' every spring I know at least here in KW/Camb/Guelph + GTA areas always have one of these. I also know the OPP have a plane sitting at Waterloo Reginal ready to go in a pursuit, which is kinda funny because I thought it would have been a helicopter like GTA area.

Basically instil a bit of fear in the community. If you want to draw attention to yourself in anyway give us a reason to pull you over, and give you a ticket based on the new guide lines set out from 2007. All it takes is the supposed call in from the community saying people are driving reckless and boom... blitz time!

I like this part of the article
Once at the lot, officers saw a group of 30 vehicles lined up in a way that appeared to be an organized race.

Nice... so the saw and they assumed, and now its at their discretion... perfect.

Its a police state brother...I can't drive 55 - seems to be hitting home in Canada now!! I have come to the realization that the key to driving is not how fast you can go...but how fast you can get up to the speed limit! I have for some weird reason received all of my speeding tickets in my 87 Custom Cadilalc Seville - and the tickets are outrageous in price...and I was only 7 kms over the speed limit:eek: So I am not in any rush to get out on the streets here - as the cops are hiding everywhere to give you a ticket...and all the ricers are out to race anyone and their dog:eek: So screw them all - my black beauty will remain in hibernation for a couple of more months - nothing wrong with letting her get more of her beauty sleep:rolleyes:

Gods speed

Dam:cool:

This is a bit crazy - there is a right to have a lawful assembly - the problem is when you have a few people who need to prove they are jack-asses and do burn-outs and rev-up their engines with the specific goal of being loud.

I honestly wonder if everyone in the group that was charged actually did all of that stuff, or if it was one or two guys who's actions caused the balance of them to be charged for doing very little wrong.

This is a reason to join the NSX Club of Canada - any organized even is covered by our insurance, driving events are specifically covered by applying for a date specific insurance permit. If we were pulled over we would be able to present, in court later, not likely on the day, evidence that we were having a lawful assembly that, as evidenced by the fact we had specific insurance in place, respected community standards as well as being respectful of the public at large.

What scares me is I have a buddy who lives at 7 and Bathurst, what if I was driving along 7 towards his house when a horde of these guys was on the road? They would probably try to lump me into the group based on the car I'm driving - even though I had nothing to do with them, I could have my car impounded if I wasn't able to convince the Cops at the side of the road - it could happen to any of us.

I reviewed the Legislation and conclude from the following:

Exceptions
4. (1) Despite section 2, “race” and “contest” do not include,
(a) a rally, navigational rally or similar event that is conducted,
(i) under the supervision of the Canadian Association of Rally Sport,
(ii) under the supervision of a club or association approved in writing by the Ministry, or
(iii) with the written approval of the road authority or road authorities having jurisdiction over the highway or highways used;
(b) motor vehicle owners engaged in a tour, scenic drive, treasure hunt or other similar motoring event in which the participants drive responsibly and in a manner that indicates an overall intention to comply with the provisions of the Act; or
(c) an event held on a closed course with the written approval of the road authority having jurisdiction over the highway, including any event lawfully using any of the trademarks “CART”, “Formula One”, “Indy”, “IndyCar”, “IRL” or “NASCAR”. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (1).
(2) Despite sections 2 and 3, “race”, “contest” and “stunt” do not include any activity required for the lawful operation of motor vehicles described in subsections 62 (15.1) or 128 (13) of the Act, or the lawful operation of an emergency vehicle as defined in subsection 144 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (2).
5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 455/07, s. 5.

The NSX Club of Canada is officially Licensed and Sanctioned by CASC, which qualifies under Point ii and our events are excluded under iiib.

If we ever had a reason to join - thats it! Any event, or micro event (ie. a group of our members getting together, as long as the Exec knows its happening - therefore post it here so we'll know!) is covered, and if the Police pull you over for looking so good you can claim exemption under ii above.

We'll look into printing something you can keep in your cars that will explain our position to the Police.

Thanks Stu for doing this.

It goes without saying that any high profile car will be looked at with deeper scutiny this summer. NSXCC is rare in that its taken the initiative to do things properly and responsibly, which I think is fantastic.

It sounds to me that they collected evidence on each specific car before they busted the whole group. It seems, based upon the one sided, biased and probably misinformed article, that only those who could be reasonably charged were charged.

Be on the lookout for bozos at our meets and steer clear.

Ive got no problem with the police singeling out the bozos and going after them. They just cant be rediculus with broad sweeping actions against a larger group of participants as well.

Thanks Stu for doing this.

It goes without saying that any high profile car will be looked at with deeper scutiny this summer. NSXCC is rare in that its taken the initiative to do things properly and responsibly, which I think is fantastic.

I can't tell you how much effort and time went into getting approved to join CASC (http://www.casc.on.ca/) and then get insurance through ASN (http://www.asncanada.com/) but months would begin to describe it.

Now, we spend time getting insurance certificates, for eg. Est Fest, we have a Binder co-insuring the Township of Gananoqui for $5 Million for the weekend and we'll separately insure the "drive in the country" too.

The entire Club Executive has worked REALLY HARD to ensure that all members are properly protected from "Police Interventions" that can happen and are happening to "informal gatherings" of motorheads.

We also have a code of conduct for our events (you can find it in the Est Fest Pak) and if you show up to our events and are not a member, understand why we MUST turn you away, just like we MUST exclude people who do not follow the rules - they compromise our insurance, our status in CASC and therefore the safety and legal protection of all Members.

Please remember this when you feel like doing a peel out of a parking lot at one of our events.:smile:

I can't tell you how much effort and time went into getting approved to join CASC (http://www.casc.on.ca/) and then get insurance through ASN (http://www.asncanada.com/) but months would begin to describe it.

Now, we spend time getting insurance certificates, for eg. Est Fest, we have a Binder co-insuring the Township of Gananoqui for $5 Million for the weekend and we'll separately insure the "drive in the country" too.

The entire Club Executive has worked REALLY HARD to ensure that all members are properly protected from "Police Interventions" that can happen and are happening to "informal gatherings" of motorheads....

...therefore the safety and legal protection of all Members.

Please remember this when you feel like doing a peel out of a parking lot at one of our events.:smile:

Holy Crap! I had no idea any of this was done... Awesome! :smile: Now I won't have to wait like last time for everyone to leave the parking lot first and then leave after everyone else... LOL :wink:

Yep, we built the club largely because if you organize, and likely to some extent participate in, a group drive or like event and someone ends up hurting someone along the way, even if you were miles away when it happened, you're on the hook and can be sued for all you own too.

Those who organize such events outside of having it INSURED are placing themselves at risk. The only way to have such events insured is to be recognized as a legal body and approach the Insurers themselves.

I wonder what Insurance company would like to insure 30 NSXs in Ontario.
Group policy anybody? :-)
Rates would of course be diff for everybody, but maybe a group policy would help some. (other than the sales agent)

Brad

From reading all these input. For the past few years, I just enjoy my drive well within the speed limit (especially with all those potholes around the city). I reserve all my driving skill only on the track:-)

Red: I really got to send you my application for my membership. This week!!

Peter

I wonder what Insurance company would like to insure 30 NSXs in Ontario.
Group policy anybody? :-)
Rates would of course be diff for everybody, but maybe a group policy would help some. (other than the sales agent)

Brad

It doesn't work - no "groups" for Auto - they also don't really pay commissions to brokers either!

From reading all these input. For the past few years, I just enjoy my drive well within the speed limit (especially with all those potholes around the city). I reserve all my driving skill only on the track:-)

Red: I really got to send you my application for my membership. This week!!

Peter

Driving cars like ours, if you are speeding, you're gonna get the book plus plus, two of my buddies w F-cars have been super hassled these past few days.

Peter, you can just pop a cheque in the mail - no app required since you're just renewing - just make sure your name is on the cheque (I can't guess company names!)

You coming on May 2nd to the track? Hope so!:biggrin:

Every time I come back to Canada, I get nervous. It seems like the traffic laws are getting more and more extreme. For example, getting your car impounded and a $10,000 fine for driving the equivalent of about 90 mph on the highway is just insane. Have these people ever driven on 400 or 401 going in and out of Toronto? The traffic moves quickly and and usually pretty safely. Why such a ridiculously extreme penalty? :confused:

But Ive yet to have any issues myself, so far, in any vehicle.

Dave once got pulled over and the CoP was SHOCKED!!! He thought he'd pulled over a senior citizen 'cuz he was driving so SLOW!

The funny part was that it was at MOSPORT!!!!:eek:

Back