• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi #16

Hello NSX Primers,
<O:p</O:p
I finally got some time to post a review of my recent NSX purchase. I purchased Zanardi #16 from the AE Collection in December 2011.
<O:p</O:p
History and Why:<O:p</O:p
I am avid Honda fanatic. I currently own an Honda S2000 CR. I have followed Honda since the 80s in F1 and the late 90s in CART. Watching Senna in the McLaren-Honda years and Zanardi, Vasser, and Montoya in the CART era were the highlights for me. The turbo V6s in F1 and turbo V8s in CART, producing over 1000hp+, were the heyday of man and machine. Loved every minute of watching Honda’s dedication to not just win, but dominate. No one could touch Honda.

I have been looking for an NSX for quite sometime. Knowing the history behind Senna’s development of the NSX’s chassis, and his relationship to Honda, as well as Zanardi’s influence and relationship with Honda, I knew I wanted a Zanardi NSX. They only built 50 of these cars for the US market, and I never thought I would ever have a chance to find one in good condition, let alone being able to afford one, seeing how the Zanardi fetches a good premium.

Purchase:
<O:p</O:pWith the help of the “Official Zanardi Thread”, I found two Zanardi’s close by in Socal in the past year. The FJ car I just missed on. The AE car was very interesting. Having read about the issues to #16 on prime, I wasn’t enthusiastic about it. But seeing how there are only 50 built, I had to go take a look.

<O:p</O:pWhen I saw the car at AE, it was in excellent condition for a car with 94k miles with one original owner. AE spent 7 diligent months restoring the car to factory specs. It did have a new paint job, but was done to OEM standards. They spent months looking for Zanardi specific parts for the interior and exterior.

<O:p</O:pAfter taking a lengthy test drive, I immediately fell in love with it. The motor is just so silky smooth and the induction noise resonates throughout the cabin. The manual steering was a revelation and when paired with a quick shifting gearbox provided a sense of driving euphoria! The chassis just felt so tight and rigid; in no small part to the hardtop and Zanardi (Type S) suspension.

<O:p</O:pAE took the car the local Acura dealership car to do a PDI, and the car passed with flying colors. One of the longest tenure Acura NSX mechanic did the PDI and was impressed with the condition for a car with 94k miles on it, having seen many other NSXs. AE took care of all the serviceable 90k items, aligned the car with Zanardi specific settings. They applied a full frontal clear bra and did a 3 stage detail on the inside, engine and exterior. The car basically looked like it came off the factory floor! They really went above and beyond, so I have to thank AE for a job well done.

<O:p</O:pAfter inspecting and driving the car, I was sold, but the car wasn’t technically for sale. I had to do some convincing. I think at the end, AE saw that I was really enthusiastic about the car, and finally we were able to reach a deal. I never thought I would be able to find a Zanardi in such great condition and for that I feel very blessed.

<O:p</O:pSince then, I have driven about 1000 miles on it, and the car has been flawless. #16 finally has a good home, I hope to keep it for a very long time.

<O:p</O:pI just want to thank prime and all the NSX owners who helped maintain this forum as a vibrant community of ideas and information. I am happy to be part of the NSX family.

<O:p</O:pfiesty

<O:p>

</O:p

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase. I'm really happy for you. I regret having passed on the car but I know that AE did a far better job of restoring the car than I would have. I would have had to save up piece by piece while the car sat in the garage. I was impressed with the engine and drive quality as well - even while I was driving it around with a smashed window, dented rear fender, and missing mirror. :) It's great to see it back in shape and in loving hands. Enjoy friend.

Congrats on your purchase ! Kudos to AE for restoring #16

Many safe miles to you

<<<<< So Envious!

Congrats! :) and Welcome

I am very happy to hear #16 has received the TLC it so deserves.

great story,you have two of hondas' best.Hopefuly you will auto-x the cr and do some hpde with the Zanardi.

Thanks for all the nice wishes guys! Really appreciate it. :)

Yes, AE did a magnificent job on the car. I could have never done or come close to what they did with the car. All the guys at AE are true enthusiasts, genuine nice people.

Whilest I adore the CR, the Zanardi is the best car Honda ever made IMO (in the states). The low, wide slung look, the seating position, but most imporantly the usability, driveability, and reliability of this car is just more than I expected!

I dont think I will track the Zanardi, only because of the miles, but I definitely will be driving this car a lot. It wont be a garage queen. :)

fiesty

Congrats and welcome to the club! Im jealous. I never have the chance to drive mine and often say I should drive it everyday and just enjoy it. The 3.2 coupes are very special cars. Let me know if you have any questions or anything. :wink:

Congrats, I wish to drive a zanardi one day so I can see what everyone has been raving about

Congrats and welcome to the club! Im jealous. I never have the chance to drive mine and often say I should drive it everyday and just enjoy it. The 3.2 coupes are very special cars. Let me know if you have any questions or anything. :wink:
Thanks! Every time I drive, I realize how special this coupe is. Will PM you if I have any questions...

Just went on the LMR socal drive yesterday with 45+ NSXs!. First time in the canyons with it. The Zanardi was heaven!

fiesty

Saw the meet pics of the Zanardi. Very nice. Can't wait to see one in person

the only difference is a special plaque thats it.

J/K guys

I wish I could find one to buy they are never for-sale and the owners will probably never sell

so you would have to "pry it from their cold dead fingers."

Thanks! Every time I drive, I realize how special this coupe is. Will PM you if I have any questions...

Just went on the LMR socal drive yesterday with 45+ NSXs!. First time in the canyons with it. The Zanardi was heaven!

fiesty

Thanks for bringing your car out to the drive! It was definitely a treat to be able to see a Zanardi in person, your car looked immaculate. I didn't say hi but I was parked next to you in my black nsx w/white wheels after we got to coogies but before everyone moved to the other side of the lot. Congratulations on your purchase I hope you enjoy the car.

-Scott

Whats up dude. Nice meeting you and your brother. Next time bring the CR out too, just dont tell Les about it :p post up the pix you took in the picture thread! I know you got a lot of clean shots.

How did I miss this thread.:confused: Anyways congrats and welcome to the family. It was great to meet you at the drive this weekend and hope to see you at future events and drives.

Thanks guys!
Nice to meet everyone at Coogies and the drive. Hope to be at many more
of these for sure!

Ill try to post pics of the drive soon.

fiesty

Back