• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any downsides to Comptech Supercharger......

As you know I'm looking for an NSX. Some for sale have the Comptech Supercharger.

Since you guys are the experts on the NSX, any negatives to the supercharger? premature engine life? rapid wear of the clutch, or transmission? Heat Soak?

I would drive this car as a weekend car in the summer and it gets humid here. Any problems with heat soak or the belt breaking? I had an aftermarket reduction pulley on a supercharged car and when it was hot and humid and I was revving the car out, the belt would break.

thanks in advance for your opinions.

G

It's one of the most well sorted FI kits for the NSX. If it was installed properly it will run for a very long time for your weekend driving needs.

It will heatsoak which is a concern if you're tracking the car but if on the street I wouldn't really worry about it. It will also do what any power adders will do, your clutch will wear faster, just like your tires, and brakes, and wallet from the speeding tickets.

You have to watch and change the supercharger oil. There is some additional "whine" at full throttle which I like but some may not. If it is the standard boost model you are very safe. If it is the high boost kit, then you are dealing with additional engine management and if that wasn't tuned properly engine damage can occur. The basic CTSC kit is VERY simple and pretty reliable. It's also limited HP, an extra 80 or so, 100 on a 3.2 with extra mods.

The biggest issue with superchargers is the "Wine". It is intoxicating and I would forever be in trouble.:biggrin:

After driving My Pops 97 with H/I/E and the Autorotor CTSC and SOS belt tensioner. Im very impressed with how smooth the power curve is. It drives like factory car with way more pull. The car should have come from the factory with a CTSC. I would suggest driving one before you buy one. If you feel you want more power other options available that make more power. But I think the average person will be more then happy with its output. I know I am.

noisy at idle

A little... The autorotor is quieter than the whipple. But yeah... A little more noise. The whine really isn't there until you lay into it. I don't know why. Seems like it should be RPM based not boost based. But that's a good thing because it's quiet when cruising.

NONE.

Love mine and wouldn't want it any other way.:biggrin:

downside, limited to the amount of power / torque you can make....unlike turbo.

What is the hit on MPG driveing normal? & yes I know there will be differant normals out there. Thx Spidy
I had a favorable gain on the hwy compared to stock. I estimated about 1-3mpg gain. Tough to say what it would be on the street since it's impossible to go one full tank w/o smashing that gas pedal! Also safe to say... with aggressive driving your mpg on a CTSC setup will suffer quite a bit. I noticed a huge difference but I did not bother to quantify into figures. Both aggressive Canyon driving and track days will incur significant fuel usage. YMMV depending on how much you're into the boost.

A stock NSX is a fun ride. An NSX with a CTSC places this car in the same
pantheon as true exotics and just like Acura/Honda would have wanted with no compromise on the issue of dependability.

Seriously, this really is the configuration that should have been standard from the factory.

I have driven pretty much all of them. I like the CTSC the best because the power is instant. I like the turbo, but I don't like the turbo lag. Some do like the lag because of the surge of power you get and it feels great, but i like the linear power of the CTSC. Its not the fastest out there, but its proven to be very reliable and gets the car on par with newer cars in terms of performance.

However, if I was looking to buy one new, I would probably look at the SOS SC.

I have driven both a ~7lb CTSC and a ~7lb single turbo. In a low boost setup I prefer the SC all the way. 10psi or higher I would choose a turbo.

Wow 20 replies already? What is the normal boost for a Comptech supercharger?

downside, limited to the amount of power / torque you can make....unlike turbo.

Sort of. You can only make so much power before you need to build the motor, but certainly the turbo is much more flexible and seems to make more power per psi compared to the SC out there.

I have driven pretty much all of them. I like the CTSC the best because the power is instant. I like the turbo, but I don't like the turbo lag. Some do like the lag because of the surge of power you get and it feels great, but i like the linear power of the CTSC. Its not the fastest out there, but its proven to be very reliable and gets the car on par with newer cars in terms of performance.

However, if I was looking to buy one new, I would probably look at the SOS SC.

why is that?

Back