• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any downsides to Comptech Supercharger......

What is the stock boost for a Comptech Supercharger? Are there different variations of boost with a Comptech Supercharger?

The older Comptech was a whipple unit and was offered with a high boost pulley, around 9-10 psi I believe but that requires a stand alone engine management. The standard boost Comptech is 6-7 psi, and uses a boost-a-pump to double voltage on the fuel pump which gets more fuel through the factory injectors to cover the 6-7 psi of boost. It is not perfect in terms of Air/fuel ratio, but it is fairly accurate and it tends to error on the rich safe side, not the lean dangerous side. It's a pretty proven system, some cars have had them on 75k miles plus, and many are tracked. The newer "autorotor" supercharger runs slightly cooler and develops 5-10 more HP. I have not seen a high boost pulley on it. If it is the standard Comptech, it's probably the low boost and that is 6-7 psi. It is the simplest system out there, the only one that is 50 state legal, and CARB certified.

Sort of. You can only make so much power before you need to build the motor, but certainly the turbo is much more flexible and seems to make more power per psi compared to the SC out there.

The Whipple takes about 10% HP just to turn as the turbo does not. Say, you're pushing 500HP, it's taking about 50HP just to turn it.

I prefer the more efficient tire shredding characteristics of a turbo. :biggrin:

The older Comptech was a whipple unit and was offered with a high boost pulley, around 9-10 psi I believe but that requires a stand alone engine management. The standard boost Comptech is 6-7 psi, and uses a boost-a-pump to double voltage on the fuel pump which gets more fuel through the factory injectors to cover the 6-7 psi of boost. It is not perfect in terms of Air/fuel ratio, but it is fairly accurate and it tends to error on the rich safe side, not the lean dangerous side. It's a pretty proven system, some cars have had them on 75k miles plus, and many are tracked. The newer "autorotor" supercharger runs slightly cooler and develops 5-10 more HP. I have not seen a high boost pulley on it. If it is the standard Comptech, it's probably the low boost and that is 6-7 psi. It is the simplest system out there, the only one that is 50 state legal, and CARB certified.

I think your close.

Whipple low boost is 6lbs. High boost was 8 psi.

Auto rotor was 7 psi. Not sure on high boost.. Probably 9.

The auto rotor was making about 20 rwhp because it flowed more air and was ~1 psi more.

Lighter wallet. Tapped out credit card limit. And desire for more hp on your other vehicles to have comparable driving experience. I had to upgrade my fleet of vehicles to keep up with the NSX.

what about low boost with the rdx injectors would that run better

i mean would that be a better option then the factory injectors

i keep hearing about the rdx injectors lol

A downside would be supercharger whine if you don't like the way it sounds. For me it ruins the driving experience completely despite the added power and reliability. I truly envy those who are content with it bc of its practical advantages, but IMO NA cars are way more fun even if they're slower (and expensive to build) and turbo cars are more fun too (at the expense of complexity and added risk). It's all a balancing act so as long as you are informed you can make the choice that's right for you.

Last edited:
The Whipple takes about 10% HP just to turn as the turbo does not. Say, you're pushing 500HP, it's taking about 50HP just to turn it.

I prefer the more efficient tire shredding characteristics of a turbo. :biggrin:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it took closer to 80-100hp based on estimates from other cars i've seen :frown:. I still prefer the SC in most cases. If you're a mostly straighline racer guy I would like the Turbo. Being that I prefer road racing it's too much trouble (or i'm just not good enough) to keep the gas pedal down to keep the engine in boost. SC = Boost all the time but turbos are way more efficient if sized properly. That's a big IF.
what about low boost with the rdx injectors would that run better
That's been my plan - CTSC, I/H/E, RDX injectors, AEM FPR @ 58psi, Walbro 255, AEM F/IC ;) Just need to find time to do the install and tune. We'll see...

And at 350 HP Dhalsim is just making enough power to run a top fuel blower:biggrin:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it took closer to 80-100hp based on estimates from other cars i've seen :frown:. I still prefer the SC in most cases. If you're a mostly straighline racer guy I would like the Turbo. Being that I prefer road racing it's too much trouble (or i'm just not good enough) to keep the gas pedal down to keep the engine in boost. SC = Boost all the time but turbos are way more efficient if sized properly. That's a big IF.

That's been my plan - CTSC, I/H/E, RDX injectors, AEM FPR @ 58psi, Walbro 255, AEM F/IC ;) Just need to find time to do the install and tune. We'll see...

thats my overall goal also. got I/H/E already, doing rdx injectors this summer.

I have driven pretty much all of them. I like the CTSC the best because the power is instant. I like the turbo, but I don't like the turbo lag. Some do like the lag because of the surge of power you get and it feels great, but i like the linear power of the CTSC. Its not the fastest out there, but its proven to be very reliable and gets the car on par with newer cars in terms of performance.

However, if I was looking to buy one new, I would probably look at the SOS SC.

why is that?

i keep hearing about the rdx injectors lol

You would have to ask prospeed about that. I am not sure how the RDX injectors will work with a base CTSC system. Since it is a very simple system, I am not sure how it will respond to a reflashed ECU and if it will properly compensate to get the correct A/F.

Many people use aftermarket injectors when they go to High-Boost and can properly tune it with an FIC. I think the original high-boost kits came with prelude injectors. Still old tech.

Last edited:
Yes its safer as I'm sure Batmans understands well. :wink:

But most of us in California use the CTSC because its CARB legal.

Agreed. Some day I hope to do the CTSC for safety and CARB. I know power is addictive, but things reach a point of diminishing returns and I'm sure 350HP is more than enough to get me into trouble.

wow so the sos blower puts out about a 100 more hp for the same price of the ctsc. im thinking ill probably do the the ctsc since i have an auto to be on the safe side, but that extra 100hp is tempting.

Ryu Can the RDX injector flow enough for a CTSC? I thought it couldn't looking at the numbers, at least not with the factory pump and pressure even if the ECU was controlling it.

wow so the sos blower puts out about a 100 more hp for the same price of the ctsc. im thinking ill probably do the the ctsc since i have an auto to be on the safe side, but that extra 100hp is tempting.

No it's not the same price and it's not the same thing at all. That extra power comes from an intercooler and heat exchanger and aftermarket engine management, different pump, injectors, tuning.

The CTSC uses factory engine management, and has many fewer parts. It is much simpler in design. SOS systems use aem ems's or aem FIC's and to get the extra power you buy the optional laminova cooler which requires a water pump, lines, and heat exchanger.

To go beyond the CTSC's power level you really need a significantly more complex system. All this info is already available on many many long threads on prime.

Last edited:
Back