• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any downsides to Comptech Supercharger......

wow so the sos blower puts out about a 100 more hp for the same price of the ctsc. im thinking ill probably do the the ctsc since i have an auto to be on the safe side, but that extra 100hp is tempting.
I recommend you do some more research on nsxprime. There are pros/cons to the SOS SC vs. the CTSC which are not all being aired our here. They are both fine units but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Chose one that bests fits your needs. For example, the CTSC unit is a proven plug'n play unit albeit with archaic fuel management. The SOS SC requires a custom tune etc but incorporates a bigger blower...

Agreed. Some day I hope to do the CTSC for safety and CARB. I know power is addictive, but things reach a point of diminishing returns and I'm sure 350HP is more than enough to get me into trouble.
I agree. 350HP is the sweet spot imho. The Spoon GT NSX was at about 350whp on a turbo. I also think for stock components 350 doesn't overdrive your stock clutch, brakes etc.. It's a matter of opinion though. I may end up at 380ish on my stock 3.0L I suspect. I'm tuning for a healthy motor and tuning for longevity. The HP will fall where it will falls... I suspect 380ish with my dual stage exhaust (if I ever get time to finish it)

Ryu Can the RDX injector flow enough for a CTSC? I thought it couldn't looking at the numbers, at least not with the factory pump and pressure even if the ECU was controlling it.
You are correct. The RDX 410cc injectors cannot flow enough at the factory NSX fuel pressure. It's debatable if it can even flow enough on the factory fuel pump too (i'm not going to risk it personally so I went with a Walbro 255). At 58psi the RDX can flow enough to support ~500hp. The RDX also operates normally at higher than NSX rail pressure anyway so it should be fine at the higher psi. In fairness, Brian @ Prospeed claims no gains made on a NA 3.0L at the higher psi.

To achieve more flow on a small injector you need more pressure. Less pressure needs a bigger injector to achieve the same flow rate. On your stock CTSC you're already overdriving those factory NSX injectors at 100+psi anyway so the concept is not a new one.

screenshot016lu3.png

Last edited:
No it's not the same price and it's not the same thing at all. That extra power comes from an intercooler and heat exchanger and aftermarket engine management, different pump, injectors, tuning.

The CTSC uses factory engine management, and has many fewer parts. It is much simpler in design. SOS systems use aem ems's or aem FIC's and to get the extra power you buy the optional laminova cooler which requires a water pump, lines, and heat exchanger.

To go beyond the CTSC's power level you really need a significantly more complex system. All this info is already available on many many long threads on prime.

^^ This

Oh no I'm not getting one anytime soon. I kind of knew the SOS one was a little more complex. I had a s/c on my CL so I'm familiar with ct and feel comfortable going that route when the time comes.

Last edited:
Even with the best setup and tune, the downside is that you WILL significantly decrease the engine life and eventually blow your motor if you're constantly romping on it.

Don't kid yourself, the supercharger puts a lot more stress on a high compression motor that was not designed or tested for a supercharger. Stress that the engine can handle for the first 10K, 20K, 30K, maybe even 50K miles, but I've yet to hear of someone driving their NSX with a supercharger for 100K. Usually before they reach that point, their engine blows up.

With that said, the risk/reward is well worth :biggrin:

Ryu Can the RDX injector flow enough for a CTSC? I thought it couldn't looking at the numbers, at least not with the factory pump and pressure even if the ECU was controlling it.
Dave, no disrespect intended but with all the $ you're spending on other parts I'd prioritize an F/IC, bigger injectors, fuel pump, fpr, and some kind of IAT cooling solution for your NSX. It will still pass CA OBD2 smog if tuned properly. If I could afford a DA Intercooler I'd consider it but I think meth/water works decently enough at a fraction of the cost.

Folks I dunno how old most of ya'll are and/or what sorta power levels that you have been exposed to and/or your driving style and requirements, but all I can say was that the CTSC that I've driven with the regular CARB legal boost was VERY disappointing for the sorta $$$$ that was being asked.

Some of you may remember back in the day when I had the NSX and was really regretting the lack of power and was talking about the C6 Z06 power.

Then I did a bandage fix by buying the 550rwhp GTO.

When I had the GTO, the NSX was going from a garage queen to either being sold or a museum of what Japan accomplished and what it should have done to secure more sales in the form of the NSX.

Now that I have tasted 430rwhp (and with my built engine my plans are for another 5psi which should take me past the 500rwhp mark) I can't recall ever thinking about the C6Z06 and how the NSX blows. It's now IMHO a proper supercar with a much more appropriate mix of power and looks.

^^^ BATMANs - that is totally subjective. IIRC you like to hit top speeds on the fwy and punishing traffic light racers by seeing them cry from your rear view mirror. I think this is totally fine and I have no problem with that as long as you're not putting me or anyone I know in danger. On the other hand, I prefer to crush their spirits in the canyons and on the track where lap times are a function of much more than overall HP and where longevity is crucial. Not to mention, I like to work within the confines of a stock NSX and preserve it's balance. Not everyone has the budget to do a full on build and still preserve the balance the car was originally suppose to have.

For the record, i'm not *that* old.. lol

Dave, no disrespect intended but with all the $ you're spending on other parts I'd prioritize an F/IC, bigger injectors, fuel pump, fpr, and some kind of IAT cooling solution for your NSX. It will still pass CA OBD2 smog if tuned properly. If I could afford a DA Intercooler I'd consider it but I think meth/water works decently enough at a fraction of the cost.

Skip the FIC and go straight for the EMS if you want even more safety.

Anyone that is considering a SOS S/C route or a turbo shouldn't even try to save $$$$ and run the FIC.

Look at my NSX Darwin Trophy. All 6 of my piston ring lands cracked. VERY rare to see all in an engine. 2 of my pistons completely cracked through.

Driving Ambition thinks it's detonation, but since my piston face didn't show any signs of damage, my engine builder thinks it's just that the factory cast pistons just couldn't hold up to the extra dynamic pressures and eventually gave out.

The good news for me was that it was totally expected. The $$$ was already set aside for a BATMANs-grade engine build like I did with the FD and GTO.

Last edited:

Ryu after I get the suspension sorted out my plan is to sit and talk with shad about a comprehensive plan for the motor. I'm not going to change anything without speaking with him first. Right now I am on a wait list to see Larry B to get a few things sorted out.

Last edited:
^^^ BATMANs - that is totally subjective. IIRC you like to hit top speeds on the fwy and punishing traffic light racers by seeing them cry from your rear view mirror. I think this is totally fine and I have no problem with that as long as you're not putting me or anyone I know in danger. On the other hand, I prefer to crush their spirits in the canyons and on the track where lap times are a function of much more than overall HP and where longevity is crucial. Not to mention, I like to work within the confines of a stock NSX and preserve it's balance. Not everyone has the budget to do a full on build and still preserve the balance the car was originally suppose to have.

If you don't want to do any short cuts u have to set $$$ aside for a proper engine build. Of course no one has to go my extreme route. Basic engine upgrades are cometic head gaskets, ARP throughout, and 2618 forged pistons. If not you are on borrowed time. I've yet to see ANY documented cases of FI NSX OEM engine lasting a long time if the person were to drive it as if there was a purpose to getting the FI solution.

Patchez has the Angus turbo and at 7~psi he blew his engine. Also running FIC.

With OEM tire size and OEM suspension CTSC is probably a good balance. However, my suspension and tire size are more balanced with my sorta power levels.

For me, my driving skills are better suited for the power. That and the fact that I don't have to wear and tear the drivetrain as much by downshifting. :tongue:

F/IC vs. EMS is definitely a consideration. I've been following the F/IC issues on here. I may still go with the EMS but i'm not convinced the F/IC is the issue. It may be since the F/IC is limited in it's capabilities. However, the problem with the F/IC blowing up motors is a lack of a good tune or detonation or high IATs with high boost pressures. I'm only running 7lbs with water/meth for added safety. The F/IC requires hours and hours of monitoring by the OWNER in ALL driving conditions. All the guys i've seen running F/ICs pay for a dyno tune often lasting no more than 3-4hrs. I'm convinced there is no way to get a good tune in such a short time especially on OBD1. The only one who has tracked their car and tuned their car properly on an F/IC OBD1 & OBD2 is DDozier. He monitored his STFT and LTFT, AFR and many other metrics religiously. I'm willing to do this and rather think it's fun (I'm sick in the head). I'm amazed even at the fact that you guys with EMSs can get a proper tune in 3hrs. Your tuners must be brilliant - I am not. To me a 3hr tune is simply good for a baseline. I drive my car in different altitudes almost on a monthly basis. I track it and I street drive it. There's no way a tuner can accommodate for all of those conditions in a 3hr dyno tune. There is also a lot to an EMS that most tuners don't even touch. So how good is your EMS tune to begin with.

I've still got some stubborness in me to want to give the F/IC a shot. Hopefully the meth/water will add some safety margin. We'll see if I end up adding myself to the engine blow-up thread. :eek:

In terms of spending $$$ thousands aside for a full NSX build... I'm willing to go to a certain extent. That's about $45-50~k on the total car. In retrospect the FI should have been last on my list. At any more than that $ I feel there are other cars to be had which provide a greater value for your $. So I don't subscribe to the philosophy some of you guys bought into quite yet...

Last edited:
Both my car and Patchez were tuned by Driving Ambition.

My conjectures are that Shad has accumulated many years of track experience and data-logging. Perhaps more so than any other NSX tuners known out there.

Shad thinks my engine detonated.

But it's really water under the bridge now since my block is built with a full point in compression ratio reduction and can handle much more abuse.

Both my car and Patchez were tuned by Driving Ambition.

My conjectures are that Shad has accumulated many years of track experience and data-logging. Perhaps more so than any other NSX tuners known out there.

Shad thinks my engine detonated.

But it's really water under the bridge now since my block is built with a full point in compression ratio reduction and can handle much more abuse.
If you're ever in socal you have to take me for a ride!

If you're ever in socal you have to take me for a ride!

I was there. Ask LMR.

Took my 5'9" 120lbs~ Abrocrombie Finch natural C-cups Taiwanese model with me.

I would say she's like a new car since I was the second owner.......

Last edited:

i agree. totally subjective. 400, 500 is great and all. but im completely fine with mid 300s whp.

I cant see why you would want more on the street then what the CTSC puts out. It keeps the car drivable, and keeps the NSX driving characteristics intact while giving the car a a decent amount of OMPH.

I met her.:biggrin: But you didn't bring your car!! Next time bring it so we can all see what you are talking about.:tongue:

Regan, you mentioned about the RDX injector won't be making extra HP with stock fuel pump due to not enough psi? So if I would have to do that RDX mod, there won't be benefit for me if I don't upgrade my fuel pump?

Last edited:
It did happen, you just need to show up at drives and meets.:wink:

So what about the pics you do know of? Sharing is caring...

You are not helping...

It was just a summer fling since she's going to school at Pomona State.

I don't usually go for gals that junior, but I won't turn down a legal adult model if she expresses interests in me. No way.

Her dad likes me and I'm seeing him this weekend for BBQ. Her mom thinks I'm a bit senior for her. Oh well......

Last edited:
Back