• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

An uplifting experience

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my latest project. I've installed a two post lift in my garage and lifted the NSX for the first time yesterday. What a great thing to have. I've tested it with my 5,800lbs Tahoe and it did not even moan. The NSX is like a walk in the park. Garage is a work in progress.

Attachments

• Lift two 001-1.jpg
    Lift two 001-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 526
  • Lift two 004-1.jpg
    Lift two 004-1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 536
Damn it man your lucky.
put a key or a kill switch hidden so know one can lower your NSX to steal it ya know.

I wish I had one.

lucky lucky man

What brand lift did you purchase, and how high is the ceiling on your garage?

I have a ceiling that's only 9'05" and the lift is 9'03" tall. I found the lift on Ebay of all places (Metro lifts low ceiling). I did not want to break the bank buying one and the price was right. It cost roughly $1,600.00 shipped to local Fedex terminal and I was able to install it myself with the help of my father-in-law. It's rated at 9k pounds but I'll never in a million years lift that amount. I put some 2x2x1/4" square stock steel between the posts to reinforce the lift just in case but that's only me wanting a redundant system as the concrete supports the lift. If you do some research you'll find a bunch of videos of cheap Chinese lifts failing but they fail when they are tested at 1.5 the rated max weight. I guess that's the industry standard. Like I said I'll never lift anywhere near the max weight as my Tundra is my heaviest vehicle and it only weighs 5,500 pounds so it was not a concern.

I've basically turned my two car garage into a three car garage because I can fit my wife's Miata under the NSX when it's up in the air.

Congrats, I put a 4 post lift in last month. Best thing I ever did. Great to just come home, have a drink and admire the toys:wink:

Do these have some kind of limit switches to set so it goes up and stops at the right place, or do you have to eyeball it each time? Just curious.

Do these have some kind of limit switches to set so it goes up and stops at the right place, or do you have to eyeball it each time? Just curious.

No limit switch but I was toying with the idea of welding a piece of steel into the track to prevent it from going too high. I'm not so much worried about me lifting it into the ceiling but my two kids may find the candy like red button that raises the lift irresistible.

That's my winter project you have just accomplished. Congrats cause my nsx and vintage Benz gets into many disputes fighting over who sleeps inside or not, Lol

This doesn't look like a lift for you to park under, but rather a lift to work on the car? How high is the underside of the NSX?

It's a nice looking unit, congrats.

Can you show how it mounted to the floor? I know these things come with several options, interested to see which mounting option is specific to the one you purchased.

Can you show how it mounted to the floor? I know these things come with several options, interested to see which mounting option is specific to the one you purchased.

If you'd really like I can take pictures of how it's mounted but it's basically just bolts into concrete. One of the reasons I braced it on top was because the weakest link is the concrete. I'd hate to be sleeping and hear a great big crash from the garage. That would be a nightmare. As far as parking under it goes; I don't think there are any rules to that regard. A four post lift is certainly the better option for parking under because of the stability but a two post is just as good unless you live in California and earthquakes are a concern. Not so much here in New York. I still don't have the car in the garage full time because I'm still working on the sheet rock and other things. Before winter I think. For the money it's the best thing I've ever bought for my car.

This doesn't look like a lift for you to park under, but rather a lift to work on the car? How high is the underside of the NSX?

I could not park a full sized car under the NSX. I'm parking a Miata which is about 48" tall. My ceiling is pretty low (9'05") so it's close even with the Miata and NSX. I'm 6'00" and I had to tilt my head a bit to get under the NSX when it was up in the air. Better then being on my back in the driveway. I spec'd the thing out to fit the Miata and the NSX. If I ever need to work on anything else I can move those cars out.

No limit switch but I was toying with the idea of welding a piece of steel into the track to prevent it from going too high. I'm not so much worried about me lifting it into the ceiling but my two kids may find the candy like red button that raises the lift irresistible.

Please don't cut/weld the lift, as it may weaken it. Either buy or fabricate a padded limit bar with a micro switch to cut power, as seen in the pic below.

XPR-10C-Two-Post-Lift.png

You should check to see if your installation and concrete fasteners meet the criteria as prescribed by the American National Standard "Automotive Lifts - Safety Requirements for Construction, Testing, and Validation" ANSI/ALI ALCTV-2006. This is also special regional structural and/or seismic anchoring requirements specified by any other agencies and/or codes such as the Uniform Building Code (UBC) and/or International Building Code (IBC). I can provide you with that info, if you so desire.

Quoted from Bendpak: BendPak wants everyone who is thinking about purchasing an automotive service product to educate themselves and carefully evaluate all of their options, as well as the companies that sell them. With a little bit of homework, it won't take long for you to see that all automotive equipment is definitely not created equal. And if you do decide to buy BendPak, you'll know better than anyone else what a value it truly is.

For anyone who is considering a lift should check out a very educational and good read from Bendpak "A study in lift design"

I could not park a full sized car under the NSX. I'm parking a Miata which is about 48" tall. My ceiling is pretty low (9'05") so it's close even with the Miata and NSX. I'm 6'00" and I had to tilt my head a bit to get under the NSX when it was up in the air. Better then being on my back in the driveway. I spec'd the thing out to fit the Miata and the NSX. If I ever need to work on anything else I can move those cars out.

Two post asymetrical lifts were mainly designed for working on cars. Storage lifts are the Two-Post Parking Lift, Four Post lift, or the Single post would would have been a better choice.

PL-6000-Parking-Lift.png
PL-7000-Parking-Lift.jpg

Two post asymetrical lifts were mainly designed for working on cars. Storage lifts are the Two-Post Parking Lift, Four Post lift, or the Single post would would have been a better choice.

PL-6000-Parking-Lift.png
PL-7000-Parking-Lift.jpg

I appreciate the advice, I really do, and I've thought about the various aspects of a lift in terms of a two post or a four post. The bottom line for me is that I wanted a lift that I could store a car under and a lift that I could easily remove all four wheels from a vehicle if needed. The two post lift seemed to fit the bill so that's what I got.

Is there really any reason that you should not store a car on a two post lift for an extended period of time?

Is your lift asymetrical or standard?

Asymetrical lifts have short front arms and longer rear arms that allow you to lift your car and open the doors without hitting the uprights (the car is offset to the rear) If yours is asymetrical, I would suggest to park your car the other way, as it is backwards now.

Standard lifts have equal arms and center the car, making it difficult to open the doors.

The upfront design intention was a working lift, not storage. I would not store a car for long periods of time on either lift. A quick call to Bendpak confirmed my thoughts. This doesn't mean you can't store a car, as it does have the capacity.
:frown:

Last edited:
Is your lift asymetrical or standard?

Asymetrical lifts have short front arms and longer rear arms that allow you to lift your car and open the doors without hitting the uprights (the car is offset to the rear) If yours is asymetrical, I would suggest to park your car the other way, as it is backwards now.

Standard lifts have equal arms and center the car, making it difficult to open the doors.

The upfront design intention was a working lift, not storage. I would not store a car for long periods of time on either lift. A quick call to Bendpak confirmed my thoughts. This doesn't mean you can't store a car, as it does have the capacity.
:frown:

Thanks again. It's a standard design. Equal length arms. It is a bit tight getting out of the car between the posts but certainly not impossible. Maybe if I was 50 pounds heavier it would be very difficult but for now I'm good.

looks great. I hope to get one as soon as I get a house.....that and some snap-on tools and air gun set ;)

I CAREFULLY (with a buddy watching the roof/ceiling interface) lifted each car to its max limit and labeled a piece of tape at that point.

I try to be religious/diligent about "quietly" watching as a car is lifted and lowered.
Slow and steady...

My 4 pole is good for parking under but not as convenient for tire/wheel work.
My 9' ceilings don't allow me to stand under the car...but I canpark another low car under AND I scoot around on a stool doing my work.

Back