• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to 911 GT3 or GT3 RS...anyone?

So I have been thinking of getting a Porsche 997 GT3 or GT3 RS lately. I have not driven my NSX since October 2011...and since a buddy bought a white GT3 RS last year and told me it was an epic car, I have been thinking of moving in that direction. Has anyone here gone from an NSX to a 997 GT3 or GT3 RS? What were your impressions?

So I have been thinking of getting a Porsche 997 GT3 or GT3 RS lately. I have not driven my NSX since October 2011...and since a buddy bought a white GT3 RS last year and told me it was an epic car, I have been thinking of moving in that direction. Has anyone here gone from an NSX to a 997 GT3 or GT3 RS? What were your impressions?

Obviously the NSX doesn't hold a flame to a GT3. A 997.2 GT3 was the car I had my sights set on until I was reminded how awesome the NSX is in the total cost of ownership category. How cool is it to have a car of that caliber that really doesn't depreciate much and especially once you start putting the miles on.

I think the additional thrill of owning a GT3 would be mitigated when you find that 3 years of its depreciation could have more than likely paid for the NSX that you ditched for it.

This is what I tell my staff when they get busy at work and start making bad decisions.

Stop
Take a deep breath
Look around
Analysis

If you end up ever selling your nsx "which I highly doubt you will". You'll be back within a year. I know it.

BTW if you're bored with your car stop keeping it so oem and rip it up or something :biggrin:

Haha Mitch try and put 180,000 miles plus on a 92 Porsche... Bet you
Will have trouble. But if you mean keep the NSX and get one of these just to fill a little itch you have then go for it you only live once!

I would have to agree, if you don't track the car, a GT3 is a waste. Turbo is a much better street car.

but i would keep the NSX unless you really are into racing, then the GT3 is a no brainer and nothing will match it.

why do you think a gt3 would get more use,or that you would drive it more:confused:

Haven't owned one, but have driven a 997.1 GT3 RS several times - it's of the same nature as the NSX, power and limits are higher, and it's a bit stiffer and slightly more nervous all around than a stock NSX, but they're both fairly simple/elemental cars. I prefer the NSX because it's "slower" and I can enjoy the car more on public streets. If you're at the track all the time and you're a good driver, then you'd be able to take advantage of what the GT3 has to offer. After driving the GT3 I found that I could hardly enjoy the power band on the street because it's so dang fast - if I owned one I'd either be A) frustrated all the time or B) in jail. A turbo would be even worse!

Haven't owned one, but have driven a 997.1 GT3 RS several times - it's of the same nature as the NSX, power and limits are higher, and it's a bit stiffer and slightly more nervous all around than a stock NSX, but they're both fairly simple/elemental cars. I prefer the NSX because it's "slower" and I can enjoy the car more on public streets. If you're at the track all the time and you're a good driver, then you'd be able to take advantage of what the GT3 has to offer. After driving the GT3 I found that I could hardly enjoy the power band on the street because it's so dang fast - if I owned one I'd either be A) frustrated all the time or B) in jail. A turbo would be even worse!

This is not a personal attack, But this logic does not make sense to me. It's like I don't want a beautiful women because she's may demand more from you. "I rather have a homely woman so I can take her to Wal-mart and with a beautiful woman, then I may have to take her to Saks Fifth Avenue" See my point? I always strive for better things in life as most of us do. GT3 is one of my dream car and I am looking forward to it one day. Hopefully not too distant future.

This is not a personal attack, But this logic does not make sense to me. It's like I don't want a beautiful women because she's may demand more from you. "I rather have a homely woman so I can take her to Wal-mart and with a beautiful woman, then I may have to take her to Saks Fifth Avenue" See my point? I always strive for better things in life as most of us do. GT3 is one of my dream car and I am looking forward to it one day. Hopefully not too distant future.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

For example, my NSX on a mountain pass is pretty boring compared to driving my wife's Cooper S on the same pass. It'd be even more boring in a GT3RS because the limits are so much higher. On my favorite pass in the MINI it's a blast tossing it around barely over the speed limit, in the NSX I can go 2-3x the speed limit and it feels like I'm going on a Sunday drive and barely moving, how much worse would that be in a GT3RS?

On a track though the NSX is lightyears more fun, and I'd imagine a GT3RS would be even better than that.

Last edited:
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

For example, my NSX on a mountain pass is pretty boring compared to driving my wife's Cooper S on the same pass. It'd be even more boring in a GT3RS because the limits are so much higher. On my favorite pass in the MINI it's a blast tossing it around barely over the speed limit, in the NSX I can go 2-3x the speed limit and it feels like I'm going on a Sunday drive and barely moving, how much worse would that be in a GT3RS?

On a track though the NSX is lightyears more fun, and I'd imagine a GT3RS would be even better than that.

e.pie did a great job at succinctly summarizing my post. And I use that statement "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."
all the time. When I drove the GT3, I felt frustrated as I never had the chance to wring the hell out of it. I'm the kind that tends to occasionally bounce the rev limiter in a performance car rather than short shift. If I did that in the GT3 on public roads, eventually something bad would happen - it's that fast. That's just me - I'm not telling anyone what to do, nor am I attempting to crush anyone's dreams :biggrin: They're fabulous cars.

I'm coming from the opposite direction. Through out the 80's & 90's, I built and raced a 911RSR - a great race car in it's day. I stopped racing cars for about 10 years until a few years ago I built up a 300hp Mini Cooper S for track days. Turns out, the Cooper was just a gateway drug. Now I find myself with an NA1 just beginning to upgrade it for the track. My ultimate goal is to line up behind a couple of GT3's at Sears Point and just sit on them... all day long... in my "old Honda" :cool:

performance-wise, its everything we love about the NSX, but way better. the downside for me is they leak... they all leak... brand new on the showroom floor and its leaking... Porsche says they need to be driven, but many are and still leak. its not significant, just keep something under the car to catch the oil, and top it off occasionally... many owners go to the trouble of replacing the rear main seals and it still leaks. just the nature of the beast. keep that in mind and you are ok... i'm not willing to put up with oil leaks, though.

I'm thinking about the same thing also. After selling my NSX that had about every comptech part on it I'm leaning toward a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3 also. I'm just waiting for a good deal to come by. Price's are coming down now. I also was thinking about a 911 Turbo as a road car but i think it will get me more in trouble. Plus i want to run it at the local SCCA meets so the GT3 should fit my criteria fine.

To IK2GO-the local ferrari mechanic in town told me that the has see many NSX's keeping up with most cars in the GT3 class he race's. He also said he beats GT3's with his full caged Datsun B race car also that is only $23k :smile:

To IK2GO-the local ferrari mechanic in town told me that the has see many NSX's keeping up with most cars in the GT3 class he race's. He also said he beats GT3's with his full caged Datsun B race car also that is only $23k :smile:
I routinely harass GT3's, Ferrari's, ZR1's etc with this cute little "gas saver".
DSC00171.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00166.jpg
[/IMG]

Id personally get the turbo. The 996s are so cheap these days. Unless you are going to track your car frequently and not dd it much, i wouldnt get a gt3.

Mitch - knowing you, a GT3 is the wrong car.

Get a turbo. It is way more drivable 12 months per year. Its crazy fast. Dirt cheap to make blow your doors off fast. Reliable.

I went backwards - sold my 08 997 GT3 for my GPW NSX, never looked back!

Now looking back, my timing was perfect since I got more than I paid for it and had $50k in my pocket after buying the NSX :)

here's the GT3 with my other baby:
IMG_0956.jpg

and on a road trip :)
IMG_0458.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I should have been a bit more clear.

1.) I will be keeping my NSX. No plans to sell it. I could not bare to see it go...ever.

2.) I was originally (and still am) considering the 911 Twin Turbo, as they are a lot of value for neck snapping speed. But after talking to a buddy that went from a 911 Twin Turbo to a 911 GT3 RS, he said the GT3 RS was WAY more fun for a driver who enjoys pure handling.

3.) Yes, I plan to track the car. Not tracking it would be like slapping Porsche in the face. The 911 is just too good of a car not to track it.

The real bite in the tail is that there are SO many good cars in that market segment. The CLK63 AMG Black Series has also been nagging at me, but I am not sure how that would hold up for track duty. Argh!!

Never had a GT3. But had the 997 4S which was amazing. I love my nsx. If your not tracking. I would go with the turbo vs GT3. But hey. These are all opinions. Go with your gut. You only live once. Go with what makes u happy.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been a bit more clear.

1.) I will be keeping my NSX. No plans to sell it. I could not bare to see it go...ever.

2.) I was originally (and still am) considering the 911 Twin Turbo, as they are a lot of value for neck snapping speed. But after talking to a buddy that went from a 911 Twin Turbo to a 911 GT3 RS, he said the GT3 RS was WAY more fun for a driver who enjoys pure handling.

3.) Yes, I plan to track the car. Not tracking it would be like slapping Porsche in the face. The 911 is just too good of a car not to track it.

The real bite in the tail is that there are SO many good cars in that market segment. The CLK63 AMG Black Series has also been nagging at me, but I am not sure how that would hold up for track duty. Argh!!

Hey Meeyatch, I've driven the CLK63 Black too. It was fun, huge torque, but felt too comfy/muted for me. I much preferred the GT3 RS I drove.

Not to throw you off more, have you considered an F360? Decent low mile ones are around 70K now - my buddy says maintenance isn't actually all THAT bad (has been very reliable), you could stash away the cash difference between an F360 and a GT3 for future maintenance. It's comparable to the GT3 in speed (though technically I guess the GT3 is faster in the right hands) but as fun as the GT3 is to drive, the F360 is so much more enjoyable and rewarding.... especially with the wicked Tubi exhaust. It's by far my favorite car so far.

The 63 black series is plenty track capable. Just heavy and hard on tires but id say a nice mixture of track performance and comfort. Then again a porsche turbo on coilivers is wuite capable.

Back