• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JGTC NSX Engine

This question has been in my head for a while now, I just have to let it out. I know the exact engine specs are confidential (supposedly anyways) but what I do know is, the JGTC NSX engine is based on the C32B. While the JGTC Supras and Skylines are turbocharged, my favorite part of the JGTC NSX is that it still has V-TEC and a NA engine. Even though the engine displacement has been upgraded to 3.5 litres, I'm really curious what needs to be done for the C32B to produce 500hp? I believe it's not supercharged either. I've tried searching the forum but no posts in the past seems to have discussed about this topic. Can someone enlighten me a little here?

Last edited:
Originally posted by NsxJoy While the JGTC Supras and Skylines are turbocharged, my favorite part of the JGTC NSX is that it still has V-TEC and a NA engine. Even though the engine displacement has been upgraded to 3.5 litres, I'm really curious what needs to be done for the C32B to produce 500hp? I believe it's not supercharged either. [/B]

JGTC NSX is Turbo Charged at 650 HP and it fires like a motha...
i have clips but it might be too large....from the best motoring english version vol. 4 (ROARING V-tec.)

Bestmotoring

Mike

With the C30 or C32B, the easiest way for power gain is to add on a supercharger, while reamaining all of the characteristics of the engine. Of course, there are some who want more power and add turbo or twin turbo chargers, which is steering towards the opposite direction of Honda's ideal goal. A lot of people don't like Honda cars because they're too under-powered compare to other competitors. On the other hand, Honda has always been making a statement in proving their engineering skills by making engines that produces the most amount of power with the least displacement, while it's still NA. I understand it takes a lot of money, time and planning to fit in twin turbos in an NSX but why didn't anyone use the same resources to rebuild/modify the engine similar to the JGTC NSX engine? Or has it been tried before?

It may be closely attributed to the lack of knowledge in this area. I do not know many with the resources to engineer custom parts for the large displacement-high compression NA engine. I know of few bolt on mods for this end result.

I agree that the car would be better with these mods, and it would seem to be a reliable way to get more HP, in comparison with SC/TT.

Great question!

ScienceofSpeed said:
JGTC is NA, and produces power through a highly tuned high-compression motor that has a slight increase in displacement from the stock motor. For the turbo, you may have been thinking about the Le Mans NSX.

AHHHH yes maybe maybe....my bad

Mike

JGTC NSX have two classes too, GT-500 and GT 300, the engine maybe a little similar but the suspension setup is totally different from stock.

I read somewhere that the displacement is increased to 3.5 l, NA for sure.

On the other hand, the Supra in JGTC is 4 cylinder turbo...from the Celica.

Terry

to say the JGTC engine is similar to the street motor is like saying Michael Jordan looks like Eddie Jordan because they have the same last name.

nsxparts,

Lack of knowledge can definitely be a reason but I'm sure there are many rich NSX folks and talentd engineers outhere that can make this happen. I hope MYNSX will do it with his next NSX project.

generation2,

I'm sure people here knows we're discussing about the GT-500, at least I hope anyways! ;) What suspension? I thought we're talking about engines here.

tc29,

You can read it again with the following link.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6214&highlight=jgtc

Last edited:
All the JGTC NSXs are using the NA2 variant 3.2l C32B powerplant. GT500 engine is 3450cc. The KUNIMITSU NSX that raced a few years ago had special pistons that allow full-throttle sequential upshifts. Gear boxes are HEWLAND 6 fast sequential shift. Clutches are APC/C7.25 triple plate.

Toda makes a GT300 3.4 engine and lists some parts on their site:

http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_nsx/index.html

Sequential shifter bolt-on conversion kit from IKEYA:

http://www.racegears.com/Products/Partsjapan/Ikeya/IKEYA-Sequencial-shifter.htm

MAJOR STONER said:

Toda makes a GT300 3.4 engine and lists some parts on their site:

http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_nsx/index.html

Sequential shifter bolt-on conversion kit from IKEYA:

http://www.racegears.com/Products/Partsjapan/Ikeya/IKEYA-Sequencial-shifter.htm

Toda cannot sell the GT300 engine to just anyone. They are only sold to sanctioned race teams, and then only in Japan.

As for the parts they have listed, they gave me a 6-10 month timeframe before any of those parts will be available. I should just get a block of aluminum and my dremel tool. :D

The shifter: as soon as I get a response back from them for cost, what tranny(s) it works with, and timeframe to have it, I'll tell you. Oh yea, I'll also order one. :D I've *always* wanted a car with that shifter.

SR

The GT300 NSX Engines do not have V-Tec. They run camshafts without the V-tec Lobe. Although I have not seen a GT500 engine torn apart, I think the GT500 engine also do not use V-tec.

By the way, the GT500 engine is produced by Mugen and costs more than $100,000 per engine.

Alex

Forgot to post this part of the e-mail:

"That engine (GT300) is designed for the JGTC GT300 racing class. It has a 38mm resistrictor in the throttle body to limit power output to 360hp. All vehicles in the GT300 racing class must have a maximum of 360hp. Although the engine is capable of 500hp, the 38mm air restrictor limits power to 360hp."

All this, N/A. :D

SR

ACR_Motorsports said:
The GT300 NSX Engines do not have V-Tec. They run camshafts without the V-tec Lobe. Although I have not seen a GT500 engine torn apart, I think the GT500 engine also do not use V-tec...

In this case, I guess Sport Compact Car made a mistake in their article, not like they're the most reliable magazine anyway. However, the article seem to be very certain that V-TEC does exist. Any chance someone can clarify this issue?

It is very unlikely you'll ever find any variable timing device such as VTEC in any race cars. Simply because varaible timing is designed to allow a smooth and consistent power delivery through ou the rev range, where as for a race car it will only use the very top end of the rev range, thus VTEC or similar devices is more of a waste of engine mass.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I should trust my own judgement more than the SCC mag.

Either way, I'm still wondering if anyone has the ambition to make a GT-500 NSX engine replica. Once again, my head is turning towards MYNSX... :cool:

Last edited:
Hey all,
I love this topic. The only information I could find in print came from my NSX Hyper Rev vol. 32. It says the 98 spec uses the C32B both 3.45 and 3.5 liters. The 01 spec just uses the 3.5, found this on Mugen's offical english site http://www.mugen-power.com/en/jr.htm don't bother going there very little info.
I also know they all use individual throttle bodies, no matter what year/ displacement. As far as internals who knows? It may be 3.5 liters but is it all bore or all stoke?? My guess is short fat rods with big ass pistons!:D

The JGTC 300, 3.4L motor has a stroke of 84mm, and a bore of 93mm.

Looks like its mainly a stroke increase via a new crankshaft.

The are not running vtec, as they have new camshafts where the lobes are at the agressive racing profile at all times. Very similar to the VTEC-Killer cam shafts that toda offers for the B-series/Integra motors. They also include fillers, to take the place of the middle vtec rocker arm, and a block off plate for the vtec solinoid. They also remove the lost motion assemblies.

I haven't verified which individual throttle body system that they are using, but you can probably fabricate something similar from TWM's catalog. The Signal Auto chop top civc /w the NSX motor is using a TWM 3006-Series throttle kit that was originally designed for a porsche 6cyl. They fabricated at aluminum spacer plate that bolts to where the intake manifold bolts to, and has studs mounted into it that will allow the individual throttles to be mounted. They also fabricated spacers that allow the use of the original fuel rail, but they has to make new fuel lines. I'm still trying to get the specs of what diameter throttles they are using.

I'm working on a streetable replica, but it wont come anywhere close to what they are making in power though.

-Ray

Your right on about the throttle bodies Ray, you can already buy a street version of the Porsche/NSX kit. It's made for Revolution by TWM. I talked with Gary at TWM a few months ago and he told me his company was working on a NEW NSX kit and it should be ready by the end of summer!

Back