• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JGTC NSX Engine

I saw this and I thought it was odd, because I thought the JGTC rules prohibited changing the engine's orientation:

"Like all other constructors, car details are shrouded in secret, but seems that the engine position has been changed from its original horizontal mounting to longitudinal."

source:

http://www.dreammotor.com/DMFMotorsport/MSNFdetail.cfm?MSNID=318

Apart from being enlarged and have a completely different suspension setup I thought the JGTC-NSX also has the engine mounted longitudinally instead of traverse.
Or am I mixed up one NSX with the others.

i thought that all the competitors could modify the engine for the the JGTC? like for instance, the mugen nsx had run really high compression to achieve their HP #.
also refering to the guy who talked about supra engines, they run I4's from the celica because their smaller, allowing the engine to be placed further back (better weight balance). i believe placing it behidn the front axles technically makes it a 'mid' engine car. hp is easy to achieve when your boosting, so displacement isnt a huge factor.

i believe placing it behidn the front axles technically makes it a 'mid' engine car. hp is easy to achieve when your boosting, so displacement isnt a huge factor.

I'm no expert, but I believe you cannot even technically consider a Supra as mid-engined just by placing it behind the front-axle.

well, mid engine is technically defined as between the front and back axles, some people disagree, saying the engine has to be behind the driver. but cars such as rx-7 have long been considered mid engined, its a technical arguement, making no real difference as its a name.

I e-mailed Toda Racing last year and this was their reply:

"Thanks for your inquiry. The TODA GT500 engine is $125,000. It's only available within Japan as you will not be able to receive any tech support outside of Japan. It is also mentioned on our web site that TODA race engines will not fit street cars. They are designed for a racing chassis that has different mounting points and the engine sits a lot lower than the factory chassis.

In a few months we'll be offering engine components for the NSX including high compression pistons, cam gears, flywheel, and a high strength timing belt."

info on 2003 regs - JGTC NSX

2003 Technical Regulations - A Glance at the Honda NSX

The JGTC series was founded 10 years ago, and as the 2003 season gets underway, the 10th year anniversary has brought many new changes including extensive modifications to the series' technical regulations. All 2003 model works cars of the major constructors like Toyota, Nissan and Honda are designed for compliance. And of them, the Honda NSX stands out as a remarkable example of the concepts promoted by the new technical regulations. Many ideas for the JGTC NSX came from the people at Mugen and Dome, so we have chosen the Mugen-Dome NSX as an example car for reviewing the main points of the new regulations.

check it out -- http://www.jgtc.net/race/inside/2003e/repo_e031.htm

Has some pix too :D

############

an older writeup here -- http://www.jgtc.net/race/inside/2001e/repo012.htm

Back