• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

Please explain your comment?

The Sine Qua Non of "exotic" is rarity (admittedly subject to minimal level of desirability, exclusivity and objective quality). To the extent that people are not excited about the new NSX, it is *NOT* because it isn't "exotic."

I have no idea what the 500 cars were at this event, but I would bet a large sum of money that if a showroom-new NSX were randomly substituted for any of the other cars, the NSX would be comfortably in the top half of cars in terms of looks and pics (likely in the top quintile or decile). I know from comparable experience.

Obviously being a bit tongue-in-cheek as well.

The Sine Qua Non of "exotic" is rarity (admittedly subject to minimal level of desirability, exclusivity and objective quality). To the extent that people are not excited about the new NSX, it is *NOT* because it isn't "exotic."

I have no idea what the 500 cars were at this event, but I would bet a large sum of money that if a showroom-new NSX were randomly substituted for any of the other cars, the NSX would be comfortably in the top half of cars in terms of looks and pics (likely in the top quintile or decile). I know from comparable experience.

Obviously being a bit tongue-in-cheek as well.

https://exoticsat.com/photos/

That's definitely something the NSX had always going for it.....its looks.

Not sure if you're joking, but I agree. I bought the GT-R despite its looks (for example), but the styling of the new NSX was a huge plus for me-- understanding that such things are subjective. No car is perfect. Since I know I will never be 100% satisfied, I try to at least avoid regret. I have no regrets about the NSX. Now to figure out what comes next...

Also, apart from looks, and while taking away nothing from the stunning collection of cars at the Redmond event (drool!), I am also quite sure that the new NSX would be comfortably in the top half of the class in terms of 0-60, 1/4 mile and lap times amongst the 500 cars that showed up.

i'm not joking. I think the new NSX looks fantastic and from what I gather, it serves its purpose as a car best enjoyed on public roads and backroads, but it can use some improvements. The original recipe was a solid base to work from. The powertrain with the e-motor and FI pair is a brilliant idea in my opinion and it seems Acura did a good job retaining the response and sound, which is something many feared would be lost going this route. There are some things I wish to see made and I hope Acura is paying attention to its die-hard fans and the competitors, but I can dream, right? My dream NSX 2.1 would be MR with its front motors omitted, lighter in weight, and a manual option. It doesn't need to win any power wars. It just needs to be an experience and one of a kind. Being a lurker here, I notice many are not fully sold on this car and that its "missing" a few things.

The exotic thing to me includes a high level of performance and that the car is not often seen in the wild.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of amazing Porsche 911 units in the US and only a few hundred Gen 2 NSX units (I did not count Gen 1 because they really don't look like relatives to me).

I took my car out to one of our secondary locations today. I get these long strange stares from folks in the parking lot who clearly never saw this thing before and their minds are stuck in puzzled but I like what I see mode.

The definition of "exotic' is different in everyone's minds but we usually just gauge it by kids reactions to the cars we bring out for any event.

Some love the GTR.....

Others are BMW Diehard fanboys.....

the s2000 commands it's own audience as well.....

The NSX always brings everyone to the car and even some admiration from other exotic car owners......

When it comes to hyper cars, the rarity factor is usually on par with the cost factor as these cars are rare mainly because of their associated price tag!

We love everything from Vintage hot rods to low riders and every type of sport car in between as they say variety is the spice of life :)

'17 Car & Driver Lightning Lap results.....this years entrants highlighted in yellow.

IMG_1434_zpsivv5bdnw.jpg~original

Good to see the NSX in some "fast" company!

Most of the results on the far right column are not surprising, all top performers. The only surprise there is the Mercedes AMG GT and the Lexus RC-F GT? What is the latter car?

2017 Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car: Ferrari 488 GTB

Complete List:
12th: Aston Martin DB11
11th: Nissan GT-R Nismo
10th: Mazda MX-5 RF
9th: McLaren 570GT
8th: Lexus LC 500
7th: Corvette C7 Grand Sport
6th: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
5th: Mercedes-AMG GT R
4th: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
3rd: Porsche 911 Turbo S
2nd: Porsche 718 Cayman S
1st: Ferrari 488 GTB

Laptimes:
1.51,43 - Mazda MX-5 RF
1.43,40 - Lexus LC 500
1.40,05 - Aston Martin DB11
1.40,05 - Porsche 718 Cayman S
1.39,65 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
1.36,02 - Corvette C7 Grand Sport
1.35,01 - Nissan GT-R Nismo
1.34,87 - McLaren 570GT
1.34,30 - Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
1.33,21 - Porsche 911 Turbo S (on P Zero Corsa)
1.33,01 - Mercedes-AMG GT R
1.31,68 - Ferrari 488 GTB (on Cup 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_XdfqS42Zg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRyeTxlvbe4

Last edited:
wow, looks like every car show Ive attended which isnt many. rows of boring porsches (I love porsches, had 3 at the same time). In most affluent neighborhoods they are more common than camry's and accords but slightly less common than minivans

2017 Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car: Ferrari 488 GTB

Complete List:
12th: Aston Martin DB11
11th: Nissan GT-R Nismo
10th: Mazda MX-5 RF
9th: McLaren 570GT
8th: Lexus LC 500
7th: Corvette C7 Grand Sport
6th: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
5th: Mercedes-AMG GT R
4th: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
3rd: Porsche 911 Turbo S
2nd: Porsche 718 Cayman S
1st: Ferrari 488 GTB

Laptimes:
1.51,43 - Mazda MX-5 RF
1.43,40 - Lexus LC 500
1.40,05 - Aston Martin DB11
1.40,05 - Porsche 718 Cayman S
1.39,65 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
1.36,02 - Corvette C7 Grand Sport
1.35,01 - Nissan GT-R Nismo
1.34,87 - McLaren 570GT
1.34,30 - Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
1.33,21 - Porsche 911 Turbo S (on P Zero Corsa)
1.33,01 - Mercedes-AMG GT R
1.31,68 - Ferrari 488 GTB (on Cup 2)

i'd concur with the 488 coming out on top of that group. that car is stupidly ridiculous... :biggrin:

p.s. great showing by the two Germans, they cannot be discounted. Randy sure liked the 911.

I almost ordered a Camaro zl1 this year. At only 60k and looking at those lap times, I think I probably should have.

The truly surprising part about the Camaro is that from what I have read it is also livable on the street. I would bet there are some other manufacturers taking one of these apart right now to see how GM does it at this price point - I really doubt that GM in 2017 builds anything to lose money on so this is quite an achievement.

Why is the Huracan no where near the top ranks? I wonder if Ferrari provided the 488 for testing or if it was a consumer bought one... :rolleyes:

So.......it was a perfect evening as I finally had some time to really drive the 720s pretty hard and my strongest impression is WOW �� this sucker really feels like my NSX in terms of the driving position!!!! Sitting in the cockpit you feel like a jet pilot. Perfect visibility and very little hood overhang so very easy to negotiate traffic. I’m in sport mode and track suspension which is like a scalpel. This is my first time really driving this car and everything feels natural and comfortable driving in traffic because there are no blind spots with all the rear glass panels. Everything is intuitive without any oddities such as the turn signal stalk or paddles. You have that trademark cab-forward position where you literally feel like you are sitting over the front axle. My buddy had two 720s there and we drove the luxury edition. What the car lacks is aural stimulation. This car maybe fast but certainly does not sound as nice as the Lambo V10 roar. You don’t hear the motor or exhaust that much and thus you are doing 150+ in a blink. It’s so fast feels like being in one of those magnetic thrust roller coasters. This is one of the few cars that can match a 1000cc crotch rocket in acceleration. To say this car makes the Huracan feel slow is an understatement. It just blows away the Huracan in speed from 80-150. We ran the car side by side and it was never even close no matter if the Huracan took off first. Buddy tells me the car has 720hp but in reality it’s been dyno’d in the 800 range. Scary fast!

So after all this need to think over what car to pick up next. Of course comparing to a new NSX isn’t fair since there is a substantial price difference: $320k vs $190k but simply stunned McLaren is so far ahead in the performance of this car over Ferrari or Lambo!

There’s been a few posts about the 720s by other nsx members. Everything they say is true, this 720s is exactly what the NC1 NSX should have been. It drives a lot like the old NSX but with roughly 400 extra HP :)

what McLaren is doing these days with automobiles is second to none. so impressive to drive. they are a small company, dealing with a very niche market, so they can do that. but nonetheless, as you have experienced. their cars are ridiculously good...

Back