• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

what McLaren is doing these days with automobiles is second to none. so impressive to drive. they are a small company, dealing with a very niche market, so they can do that. but nonetheless, as you have experienced. their cars are ridiculously good...

But unfortunately problematic..

I had a 570s and it was extremely unreliable, not in the way you think to leave you stranded but weird CEL's, brake lights would come on.. just weird little electrical gremlins. Driving experience was 2nd to none, unfortunately reliability takes away from it.

But unfortunately problematic..

I had a 570s and it was extremely unreliable, not in the way you think to leave you stranded but weird CEL's, brake lights would come on.. just weird little electrical gremlins. Driving experience was 2nd to none, unfortunately reliability takes away from it.

Yes one of our customers has this same problem and it really takes away the fun of ownership. He has since sold the car and picked up a Huracan too after seeing ours, rock solid machine. Guess it helps to have the backing of a large company like Audi behind Lamborghini now. McLaren is still a very small niche company by any comparison.

But quality issues will still kill them in the end. Even 720 owners having the usual McLaren issues that plague their other cars. And crippling depreciation. Been there, done that, never again. My 12C couldn’t be trusted, so never drove it more than 5km from home. Spent more time in the shop than my own garage.

Last edited:
But quality issues will still kill them in the end. Even 720 owners having the usual McLaren issues that plague their other cars. And crippling depreciation. Been there, done that, never again. My 12C couldn’t be trusted, so never drove it more than 5km from home. Spent more time in the shop than my own garage.

Appreciate the warnings for Mclaren as it's a car Id like to own someday but only under full warranty and immediately sell after that. Love the seating positions but meh for styling (slightly better than the new nsx in looks) when compared to a Lambo or Ferrari. I just can't own something unreliable, too many breakdowns when I was a poor college student

Sorry to hear that - yikes that is no fun at all!

Based on our experiences and what we heard from our clients, the natural selection of supercars is still in this order and probably won't change anytime soon.

a) Ferrari
b) Lamborghini
c) McLaren

Both (a) and (b) have their own share of issues but their history has proven if nothing else, their value is pretty stable.

Modern Lambo's are nothing short of amazing in terms of reliability. You can daily drive them with the A/C at full blast and the car just works with no issues. Older generation Lambo was plagued with issues too so maybe McLaren is still in it's infancy.

Appreciate the warnings for Mclaren as it's a car Id like to own someday but only under full warranty and immediately sell after that. Love the seating positions but meh for styling (slightly better than the new nsx in looks) when compared to a Lambo or Ferrari. I just can't own something unreliable, too many breakdowns when I was a poor college student
I like the look of the 570 but not the 12C and i've heard many stories about reliability issues with them (12C) I love my G spider but it's time for a change from the sexy beast (lol) it's held up well over the past 8 years and still has looks that don't seem outdated.
I think the NSX is great looking..... kinda like the 458/570 had a weekend getaway!:smile:

Last edited:
I like the look of the 570 but not the 12C and i've heard many stories about reliability issues with them (12C) I love my G spider but it's time for a change from the sexy beast (lol) it's held up well over the past 8 years and still has looks that don't seem outdated.
I think the NSX is great looking..... kinda like the 458/570 had a weekend getaway!:smile:

Funny that we are reversed as I prefer the look of the 12c over the 570 as well as the 650s. But the G spyder is a keeper for me as I love the look from every angle except out of the drivers seat. It just needs better seats, wonder if I can fit downforce type r seats in there somehow

Funny that we are reversed as I prefer the look of the 12c over the 570 as well as the 650s. But the G spyder is a keeper for me as I love the look from every angle except out of the drivers seat. It just needs better seats, wonder if I can fit downforce type r seats in there somehow

I thought the 12C in White looks more like a lotus in the spider version
I prefer the 12c coupe in looks to the convert. I still think the NSX looks better overall than the 570-R8-12c
I know what you mean about the G it's timeless (have a white spider with black accents/black wht interior only 4700 miles)
I may make trade for the NSX:cool:
JMO

Last edited:
Based on our experiences and what we heard from our clients, the natural selection of supercars is still in this order and probably won't change anytime soon.

a) Ferrari
b) Lamborghini
c) McLaren

Both (a) and (b) have their own share of issues but their history has proven if nothing else, their value is pretty stable.

Modern Lambo's are nothing short of amazing in terms of reliability. You can daily drive them with the A/C at full blast and the car just works with no issues. Older generation Lambo was plagued with issues too so maybe McLaren is still in it's infancy.

the Italian cars are as solid as anything, and more exhilarating to drive. they have it nailed from every angle...

Every brand has issues.

I have shared that the NSX has an issue with thermostats is hot climates, that 1 car had a main seal failure that needed an engine out repair and another had an issue with electric power getting to the tranny.

The general point is that with an NSX you buy it and can pretty much just enjoy it without distractions.

Ferrari is better than they were (I am a huge Ferrari fan and would own one if my wife didn't have a negative perception of Ferrari ownership) but their mantra is over optimization, not over built.

I also like to hang out on McLaren Life and there is plenty of piddly shit going wrong with those cars. Too bad because they are on a roll in terms of design and development. They are about to drop 2 more crazy cars on the market, including the 3 seater.

i agree, McLaren does have a lot of niggly little issues. unfortunate, because it does detract from the car's incredible attributes in performance.

as described many other times in many other threads, the current crop of Supercars, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, etc., all have exceptional levels of reliability and user friendliness. that hasn't been an NSX-only attribute since the last model...

To the Italian cars are solid as anything point, here is one of many, many theads (one can play make believe all day long, their cars are faster and more fun but at some point you have Fiat and Chrysler behind the curtain).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/intermittent-brake-failure-on-458.493926/

Good read - never knew about this issue, will ask some of our 458 owners if they experienced it. hmm, maybe skip the 458 and go for the 488? Any documented issues of this on the new 488 yet?

Good read - never knew about this issue, will ask some of our 458 owners if they experienced it. hmm, maybe skip the 458 and go for the 488? Any documented issues of this on the new 488 yet?

that's very interesting, i've never heard of or experienced it before myself. doesn't appear to be a specific 458 issue?

"Don't know about acelerater but abs brakes can be put into "ice" mode for lack of better term where you loose all brake function like your car is on ice when the abs system is confused. It is possible that there is a set of conditions that trigger this. GM says this does not exist in the C5 corvette but I can show you how to trigger it at speed in a C5 corvette. We racers know this problem well and the problem has costs us tires and sometimes a car if it happens near a wall. We know exactly how to trigger it in vettes and I am sure other enthusiasts know how to trigger it on their cars. Nobody in the industry seems to want to acknowledge this hole in abs systems. Remember automated systems don't have to work perfectly they only have to work better than humans and they get implemented."

as you can see, from reading further down the replies, it isn't even a Ferrari issue. appears to be a Bosch problem?

I did a quick Google on "abs ice mode" and sure enough there are tons of references to this problem associated with all makes of cars including Lotus, Nissan, GM, Mazda, BMW...etc.

Here's the most interesting comment I found so far, from someone who discussed this problem back in January 2012 on a (Nissan) 370 Tech/Track forum:

"I just spoke with Bosch and with the head of their major west coast distributor

Not going to quote anyone directly but basically the theories discussed in this thread are correct. The DOT approved versions of Bosch ABS induce ice mode when the wheel rate sensors detect variation across the four sensors
. I am not clear if it is front/rear overall or any one wheel or both, nor did I find out what % difference the computer looks for nor timing involved in the algorithms... but it is a safety mode designed to help in the majority of street situations... hard to blame them for that

Those of you who don't love the looks of the 12C, well me too.. but have you seen the "High Sport" front end?
bf377cc88501886d3e26da213dc6c763.jpg

There are knockoff aftermarket CF bumpers like the HS available, improvinng the aero and making it (IMO) the prettiest McLaren since the F1.

Those of you who don't love the looks of the 12C, well me too.. but have you seen the "High Sport" front end?
bf377cc88501886d3e26da213dc6c763.jpg

There are knockoff aftermarket CF bumpers like the HS available, improvinng the aero and making it (IMO) the prettiest McLaren since the F1.

That's great. What did they do about the ugly gouge in the side?

i love the look of the 12C. i think the front of the car looks like an evolution of the 2002+ NSX...

Mclarens look more exotic than anything else out there. You either love it or you hate it. I love these cars. They push the envelope in design which nobody else does. Lambo’s look like shoe boxes with giant rakes being dragged behind them. Once they get the reliability down, it is game over. They are already 70% of the way there in the high end car market....

Mclarens look more exotic than anything else out there. You either love it or you hate it. I love these cars. They push the envelope in design which nobody else does. Lambo’s look like shoe boxes with giant rakes being dragged behind them. Once they get the reliability down, it is game over. They are already 70% of the way there in the high end car market....

....the model changes McLaren make every 2 years causes crazy depreciation in their cars.

12C- 650 as examples. I do like the 570 a ton and it's value seems to be holding decently!!

Last edited:
True, but what do they care. As long as the cars sell, they make more.... The new nsx on the other hand has quite an uphill battle.

There’s a pair of 720S’s that roll around my neighborhood. Originally, I didn’t really like the look of this car. In press pictures it looks bulky and disproportionate. But when you see one on the road, it is so low slung that you can barely catch it in a glimpse just like the 570S. The front fenders look non existant and all you see is a windshield in front of a giant wide tail. It is a really cool looking car with striking design features. In a nutshell I just really like the direction Mickey is going in. There will be some more abstract acid trip designes to roll out of Surrey once again. Just had to share my opinion. Cool cars.... Peace.

I was going to test drive the McLaren 570s and 720s this weekend or next, but schedule is way too busy for that. The info on reliability is concerning.

Also - the new Tesla roadster - WOW. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Looks pretty good and the range is great. Starts at $200k but my head is spinning!!!

I'm about to pick up my new NSX but now I don't even know what to think any more.

The NSX is awesome and looks great, but in a conservative way like the R8 (but much better looking than the R8 imho), the McLaren just oozes sex appeal, and the Tesla is a mind blowing quick machine. NSX is of course the most affordable with the recent deals... but wow...so many options now.

Any thoughts about this latest development?

McLaren..."issues"
Tesla...kinda IC guy...
R8...never really felt it

NSX....WOW :biggrin: JM2C...I could be wrong...

Back