• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A silver Zanardi?

Insider information claims the car was built by mistake, anyone ever hear anything about this car? Allegdely the car was custom ordered as a silver coupe and when it arrived, it had all Zanardi components. The owner worked for Lotus and lived in Boston. Any chance this could be true?

If so, it would be amazing!

I know of one silver NA2 factory coupe in the Sacramento area, but it doesn't have any Zanardi components on it.

It would be cool to find out if the silver Zanardi actually exists, and if it does exist, hopefully its not beat to hell.

Im trying to track the owner down, car was sold new in Boston. Allegedly the guy still has the car. Story seems crazy but it comes from a very reputable source:confused:

Im trying to track the owner down, car was sold new in Boston. Allegedly the guy still has the car. Story seems crazy but it comes from a very reputable source:confused:

Intriguing. If true and unnumbered, we could be up to 54 Z cars now?

I personally feel that with such a low production #'d car, how could an alledged "mistake" occur like this. Silver and Red dont exactly look alike.

Since a "Zanardi" is just an American Type-S, it seems reasonable that a silver might have gotten the Type-S treatment in the factory. I can just see a couple of the technitions getting a laugh out of throwing the stiffer suspension pieces on an "Acura" and shipping it out the door.

I would be curious if the "Zanardi Components" included the Zanardi seats (which are model specific) as opposed to stock, or even Type-S Recaros...

Single pane rear window glass?

I doubt it would have a plaque

Also curious if it would have the Zanardi style side scoops, and other details.

It might also be possible that this legend is the result of a guy picking up a car that was equipped at the dealer with Zanardi Wheels, and then just assumed he had all the other Zanardi bits and pieces...

Philip

And that source is????

Subscribed for the ownership update. If true, that may be the rarest NSX is the States. Interesting.

Putting in my 0.02: Is it not just a lie over the myth that this car is a Zanardi just because some simple mods were done along the Zanardi route and the seller is trying to cheat you on the price? If it's a real Zanardi put it down in the contract.

Since a "Zanardi" is just an American Type-S, it seems reasonable that a silver might have gotten the Type-S treatment in the factory. I can just see a couple of the technitions getting a laugh out of throwing the stiffer suspension pieces on an "Acura" and shipping it out the door.

I would be curious if the "Zanardi Components" included the Zanardi seats (which are model specific) as opposed to stock, or even Type-S Recaros...

Single pane rear window glass?

I doubt it would have a plaque

Also curious if it would have the Zanardi style side scoops, and other details.

It might also be possible that this legend is the result of a guy picking up a car that was equipped at the dealer with Zanardi Wheels, and then just assumed he had all the other Zanardi bits and pieces...

Philip

You can order the parts and put them in your self. Other than the seats, the parts aren't that expensive when compare to the real type r parts.

ok you caught me:redface:

it's in my garage:biggrin:
IMG_0466.jpg

You can order the parts and put them in your self. Other than the seats, the parts aren't that expensive when compare to the real type r parts.

No kidding? :biggrin:

Have you seen the parts list on ours?

Type S suspension, Type S engine cover, Zanardi Wheels (chromed)...

We have been shooting for an American Type S for some time now. :wink:

Although I will grant you that Type S components are less $$$ than Type R pieces- a conversion isn't something I can see a dealer commiting too on a brand new Silver Coupe. I can see someone buying a Red Zanardi and disliking the dark BBS wheels and swapping them out, leaving the dealer with a set of Zanardi's to mount on a silver...

For the uneducated, the Wheels are the key visual difference between a stock NSX Coupe (rare in 1999, but they exist) and a Zanardi.

Those of us who know all the differences would look for other key differences (single rear window pane, perforated side vent trim, the seats ect...

Someone who didn't know might make more extreme assumptions based upon the single visual que of the wheels. I think that is where this legend comes from.

Philip

Last edited:
...a stock NSX Coupe (rare in 1999, but they exist) and a Zanardi.

Yes, they are rare. 4 total (excluding Zanardi's)... 2 of which were silver.

2 Kaiser Silver Metallic/Onyx NSX Coupes with Manual Trans.
1 Formula Red/Camel NSX Coupe with Manual Trans.
1 Spa Yellow Pearl/Onyx NSX Coupe with Manual Trans.

A BIG "Thank You" to Ben for collecting this data.

No kidding? :biggrin:

Have you seen the parts list on ours?

Type S suspension, Type S engine cover, Zanardi Wheels (chromed)...

We have been shooting for an American Type S for some time now. :wink:

Although I will grant you that Type S components are less $$$ than Type R pieces- a conversion isn't something I can see a dealer commiting too on a brand new Silver Coupe. I can see someone buying a Red Zanardi and disliking the dark BBS wheels and swapping them out, leaving the dealer with a set of Zanardi's to mount on a silver...

For the uneducated, the Wheels are the key visual difference between a stock NSX Coupe (rare in 1999, but they exist) and a Zanardi.

Those of us who know all the differences would look for other key differences (single rear window pane, perforated side vent trim, the seats ect...

Someone who didn't know might make more extreme assumptions based upon the single visual que of the wheels. I think that is where this legend comes from.

Philip

Phillip, the US Zanardi edition is essentially the JDM Type-S with minor differences, do you know why they did that?

Approximate price
Type S suspension $1200
Type S Wheels $4000 (seen them used for around $2500)
Type S Steering wheel, shift knob, and shifting boot (red stitching): $900
Type S door panels inserts $1000 (quote by the dealer)
SIngle Pane glass, just remove one. $0.00, or you can buy the part from the dealer for $250.00
Zanardi seats $3500 each (For this price, you can obtain the real CK Type S seats from Japan).

So yeah, much cheaper than the Type R parts.

BTW: Type S Mesh engine cover: Not available on the Zanardi edition.

Phillip, the US Zanardi edition is essentially the JDM Type-S with minor differences, do you know why they did that?

Approximate price
Type S suspension $1200
Type S Wheels $4000 (seen them used for around $2500)
Type S Steering wheel, shift knob, and shifting boot (red stitching): $900
Type S door panels inserts $1000 (quote by the dealer)
SIngle Pane glass, just remove one. $0.00, or you can buy the part from the dealer for $250.00
Zanardi seats $3500 each (For this price, you can obtain the real CK Type S seats from Japan).

So yeah, much cheaper than the Type R parts.

BTW: Type S Mesh engine cover: Not available on the Zanardi edition.

Yup- I knew all that. We are about half way there, but are making exceptions based on personal preferences. Type S steering wheel is on order, but not worrying about seats of shift boot (seats in our car were reskinned in 2003 with the factory style perforated leather of the 02+ cars) We are't trying to make a "fake" Zanardi, just a tastefully modified NSX using OEM parts. The Type S parts just seem like a good way to get there. :smile:

Zanardi should have come with the mesh engine cover- actually I think ALL NSX coupes should have it (the only reason I specify coupes is due to the roof storage for T's). Dynamite piece, and if you have done anything in the engine compartment it is a must have for display purposes. :wink:

I don't see a dealer dropping the kind of cabbage required to turn a stock silver Coupe int a "partial" Type S like a Zanardi, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Kid- (Mike) have you gotten any more info?

Philip

just found this thread...
I bought my 2000 NSX Coupe new in Boston. It is Silverstone/Onyx. From day 1, I wanted a Type S. I got the car delivered with the Zanardi floor mats, wheels, suspension, and shift knob. I got the mesh engine cover from Japan (which makes it more of a Type S than a Zanardi). Still on my to-do list 7 years later - Type S seats and the side intake mesh. Not going to do the single pane rear glass.

I do have a standard power steering which the Zanardi does not have. The 2000 ABS system is also improved (faster and smaller) than the 1999 version in the Zanardi.

I don't work for Lotus but I do work for another software company... :)

just found this thread...
I bought my 2000 NSX Coupe new in Boston. It is Silverstone/Onyx. From day 1, I wanted a Type S. I got the car delivered with the Zanardi floor mats, wheels, suspension, and shift knob. I got the mesh engine cover from Japan (which makes it more of a Type S than a Zanardi). Still on my to-do list 7 years later - Type S seats and the side intake mesh. Not going to do the single pane rear glass.

I do have a standard power steering which the Zanardi does not have. The 2000 ABS system is also improved (faster and smaller) than the 1999 version in the Zanardi.

I don't work for Lotus but I do work for another software company... :)

I guess that answers our question, PM ME:wink:

hello S2ktaxi,

1) nice car, love it.
2) do you have any pics you can post or a link to detailed pics of your car.
3) If you ever plan to sell your coupe within the next 5 years, can i buy it. no joke

Sorry it took a while for me to get organized and dig up various photos...

This is how the car came (though at this time it already had the Type S/Zanardi suspension)
DCP_0133.jpg

The Honda OEM Type S/R Engine Cover and the reservoir cover
IMG_7715.jpg

Type S/Zanardi wheels
IMG_040620-0024.jpg

With some NSX brethren in WA
IB3L4621.jpg

With some NSX brethren in MA
DE0D2475.jpg

Never go to do the wire mesh for the front side intakes...
DE0D2629.jpg

With some competition!
DE0D2658.jpg

Back